Disc Golf 'going big': For(e) or against? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disc Golf 'going big': For(e) or against?

    I personally don't understand why paying pros more money, getting disc golf on TV or in the Olympics (unless it's the mountain range) would make the game any better. I'd like to hear reasons why you are for or against growing the sport/getting DG 'big'.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

    ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

  • #2
    I would like to see touring pro's actually make a living, rather than struggling to get by. Some of us love the higher level of competition and the chances to better our own game. Everyone plays for different reasons obviously, and finds different aspects of the game that they connect with the most. Some people would love to make a living doing what they love, disc golf happens to be that venue for them, but growth needs to happen to make that dream a reality. I am totally for growth in the sport. That comes with more pay to play courses, etc etc. Totally want to see it happen. Will I ever see it? Who knows!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bruce View Post
      I would like to see touring pro's actually make a living, rather than struggling to get by. Some of us love the higher level of competition and the chances to better our own game. Everyone plays for different reasons obviously, and finds different aspects of the game that they connect with the most. Some people would love to make a living doing what they love, disc golf happens to be that venue for them, but growth needs to happen to make that dream a reality. I am totally for growth in the sport. That comes with more pay to play courses, etc etc. Totally want to see it happen. Will I ever see it? Who knows!
      I would love to see more pay to play courses, It would be great for the up keep and quality of courses! I understand why some people don't like the idea of the sport growing, some people don't like change. The more the sport grows the more money, better disc, better baskets, better courses.
      My drunken words are my sober thoughts!

      Comment


      • #4
        With all the talk of pay to play courses, which I understand the reasoning. Why don't people just donate a $1 for every round/day played at a course to the host club/caretakers to help maintain them? Why not get more involved with your local clubs/courses and take some pride/responsibility to care for the courses? I stead of just USING the course?


        Why is everyone so willing to turn DG into a snobby sport? (Like ball golf)
        Or is this just the way I see it?

        Comment


        • #5
          I can think of many advantages to Pay to Play Courses. I'll list some off the top of my head.

          1) Ability to control group size.
          2) Course Upkeep, a Pay to Play is more than likely is going to have some sort of Caretaker.
          3) Removing bad influences from a course
          4) Knowing where your money actually goes. (I'd be willing to be a very small % of money that the State Parks etc collect, go back into those courses. Volunteers raise money, Volunteers do the most of the work.)
          5) Being able to bring in sponsors for various things that normally wouldn't happen, because the could have year round advertising, as opposed to one or two events.
          6) On sight Pro Shop, Hot Food...etc etc.
          7) Not having to deal with the powers that be and control the land, and all the crap that goes along with that. Aka less red tape. If they own the land they can make the decisions.

          That was just a brief minute of thinking of advantages. I can think of very few disadvantages to Pay to Play.

          Comment


          • #6
            I also understand the concept of 'pay to play' but be careful of what you ask for or the expense involved will drive away a lot of the players and families that are now joining our sport. To keep it short for now, the cost of installing and then running and maintaining theses course in quality shape may drive per round or per day fees fairly high. Even with theses course we still need to come together and keep and maintain our free courses for all to enjoy.
            Lots of sides to this discussion so bring them on.
            Steve Moore
            Salem Oregon

            Comment


            • #7
              Once you decide to go big it will never stop. You will have the we need more money excuse justifying all kinds of silliness.

              If you want to play on golf courses so bad convince established course owners that they would make a lot more money if they included a disc basket at each hole along with a ball hole. I see no reason both cannot use a golf course at the same time.

              Some folks say more money more disc technology. I just do not see it, what are you going to change on a disc to make it significantly better? Plenty of disc choices out their right now, for any shot you could conceive. Seriously we are talking micro upgrades at best and more likely just more useless its already been done better plastic.

              I learned to kite surf last summer, same problem their way to many folks making the same thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                With this economy pay for play will drive a lot of people away. I am retired and will not be able to play if the local course started to collect a round or day use fee.
                sigpic Gives a whole new meaning to the words Pulling you're Pork.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mcw5378 View Post
                  With all the talk of pay to play courses, which I understand the reasoning. Why don't people just donate a $1 for every round/day played at a course to the host club/caretakers to help maintain them? Why not get more involved with your local clubs/courses and take some pride/responsibility to care for the courses? I stead of just USING the course?


                  Why is everyone so willing to turn DG into a snobby sport? (Like ball golf)
                  Or is this just the way I see it?
                  Have you seen at least half of all disc golfers? Asking them to donate a dollar would be like getting them to get a job or put down the crack pipe! just kidding. I live for my local course. Our group puts in tons of hours and our own money in up keep, and there is always some jack wagon trying to say we are pocketing the money, when really we are paying. My home course is whistlers bend, so what I would like to see is you drive out pay a $3 dollar day pass for our car. Also how would a small fee turn DG into a snobby sport?
                  My drunken words are my sober thoughts!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                    I can think of many advantages to Pay to Play Courses. I'll list some off the top of my head.

                    1) Ability to control group size.
                    2) Course Upkeep, a Pay to Play is more than likely is going to have some sort of Caretaker.
                    3) Removing bad influences from a course
                    4) Knowing where your money actually goes. (I'd be willing to be a very small % of money that the State Parks etc collect, go back into those courses. Volunteers raise money, Volunteers do the most of the work.)
                    5) Being able to bring in sponsors for various things that normally wouldn't happen, because the could have year round advertising, as opposed to one or two events.
                    6) On sight Pro Shop, Hot Food...etc etc.
                    7) Not having to deal with the powers that be and control the land, and all the crap that goes along with that. Aka less red tape. If they own the land they can make the decisions.

                    That was just a brief minute of thinking of advantages. I can think of very few disadvantages to Pay to Play.
                    Damn it sam where is the freaking like button?
                    My drunken words are my sober thoughts!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hawgman View Post
                      the cost of installing and then running and maintaining theses course in quality shape may drive per round or per day fees fairly high.
                      Check with four mounds in spokane, they have 3 killer 18 hole courses that can be combined in different ways to increase the challenge. I have seen mowed fairways and trimmed trees, excellent driving range (would like to see a pro shop there but may present problems with zoning/use laws). Check with them to find out what the maintance costs associated with a current private course is. The cost of an 18 hole disc golf course is ~$18,000.00 minus the land. The cost of one hole of ball golf is ~$150k-$1mil.
                      I don't think the maintanance costs are so astronomical to warrant $50-$250.00 per round (or even per day) fees. I wouldn't play every day for 20.00 but I would play up to $2.00 per round if It means not having to deal with broken glass on the tee pad or arround the basket (pack it in, pack it out frolfers!)

                      Grow the sport, make it accessable to everyone. Public courses for those who want to drink and leave their glass bottles hanging on trees, private for people who want to play great disc golf without the danger of glass lacerations.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bstullis View Post
                        Check with four mounds in spokane, they have 3 killer 18 hole courses that can be combined in different ways to increase the challenge. I have seen mowed fairways and trimmed trees, excellent driving range (would like to see a pro shop there but may present problems with zoning/use laws). Check with them to find out what the maintance costs associated with a current private course is. The cost of an 18 hole disc golf course is ~$18,000.00 minus the land. The cost of one hole of ball golf is ~$150k-$1mil.
                        I don't think the maintanance costs are so astronomical to warrant $50-$250.00 per round (or even per day) fees. I wouldn't play every day for 20.00 but I would play up to $2.00 per round if It means not having to deal with broken glass on the tee pad or arround the basket (pack it in, pack it out frolfers!)

                        Grow the sport, make it accessable to everyone. Public courses for those who want to drink and leave their glass bottles hanging on trees, private for people who want to play great disc golf without the danger of glass lacerations.
                        Not to mention that when you go out to Four Mounds, you will never have to deal with a group of beer carrying, 1 disc chucking people that could care less about course treatment or etiquette. Pay to play disc golf is great as it really separates the people that want to play disc golf from the people that want to throw frisbee's.
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So far you have all missed the point

                          Expecting DG to burst onto the scene is highly unlikely. Pro's, Purses and Promo's are just window dressing or (to dust off an old chestnut) "Top loading"

                          Our best chance to grow the sport is still a grass roots effort.
                          1. The future of the sport is in our schools. We need to get it into the curriculum.
                          2. We should be replacing a tether ball pole by installing a basket.
                          3. Lost and found held 90 days then donated to a local school.

                          We will now we have arrived when some 5th graders dad sees his kid off the couch and outside practicing putting at a tree.

                          Golf (Ball or Disc) are games for a lifetime no matter how well or poorly you play neither of which can never be won they can only be played

                          Happy Holidays
                          rewindb.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Why do so many people assume that free play courses in public parks will go away if pay-to-play courses become more common?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by putter anonymous View Post
                              Have you seen at least half of all disc golfers? Asking them to donate a dollar would be like getting them to get a job or put down the crack pipe! just kidding. I live for my local course. Our group puts in tons of hours and our own money in up keep, and there is always some jack wagon trying to say we are pocketing the money, when really we are paying. My home course is whistlers bend, so what I would like to see is you drive out pay a $3 dollar day pass for our car. Also how would a small fee turn DG into a snobby sport?
                              If you are asking me to pay $3 a round. I do pay to play. I have a pass that gets me into State Parks to play courses like Milo. And I donate at places that ask, like Horning's. Also I have volunteered for many course work crews. So if you are asking me to step up I believe I have and I plan on continuing to do so.

                              I'm glad you are doing the same! Most players don't from what I see.

                              But I'm asking why that P2P courses are all the rage now. If the correct people are in place, (you sound like one), then the money goes into the course. Which it should. So who cares what the vocal minority says. Keep up the good, honest, work! Whistlers is a great course from what I've read and someday I'll make it there.

                              P2P reminds me of a ball golf course/counrty club and to me comes across snobby. Just my $.02

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X