Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growth is important as the alternative is death.

Even staying still is going backward. If you're growing, you are alive.

I'll put in an argument on the most basic of levels - land. There are a ton of reasons why consistent growth provides benefits, but courses is one thing we hold in common.

For most all of us may realize - available land is premium. Disc golf may sometimes get the "scraps" of the most otherwise conventionally unusable land, and sometimes nice land too, but its still afforded to us as long as we provide a solution to some need that is seen. (for most areas, that may be parks departments seeing value in having the offering of DG as part of their facilities lists)

Most of us realize where we are as a sport in that value pecking order - way lower than we'd like. There will come a time where even the most revered courses will face a challenge - maybe a land swap between agencies - maybe a "need" for a new school,aquatic center,sports fields, jail, water treatment plant, whatever. These things happen.

We need to be in a place always where we are growing and alive simply to justify our existence when these challenges occur. And that's not even trying to gain anything yet.

This is but one part of the argument why staying still or "Us Four and No More" can be so self destructive without realizing it.

Fortunately I'm encouraged by the overall pattern of slow, steady, sustainable growth that exists now. Local conditions may vary, but the overall growth curve seems in place. I'm in favor of a regular and periodic "bump" or two in the curve, but I'm also liking sustainable growth better than flash in the pan growth.

(yet I also know that innovative thought and attempts at rapid growth are how the slow steady growth occurs - aim high!)

Locally - I'd like for disc golf to get better at finding ways to account for our own statistical growth and justify our existence much better than we do now. It's hard to do tracking, account, and report for say... RPW (rounds per week, or UPW (users per week) on our courses. In the NW, our sporting takes place in the woods where no one sees us.
    i.e. If the parks dept doesn't see us or hear from us in a positive growing way - we might not even exist

Comment

I like all the drunks and pot heads.
      www.rewindb.com

Comment

The only reason to play is to have fun... If that means drinking and smokin nah herb or not.... And the only appeal to this game to me is that it is not gay like ball golf with stuck up racist type people so let's not worry smokers and drinkers!!

Comment

Jah* herb

Comment

Originally posted by rastafarice View Post
            The only reason to play is to have fun... If that means drinking and smokin nah herb or not.... And the only appeal to this game to me is that it is not gay like ball golf with stuck up racist type people so let's not worry smokers and drinkers!!
            Gosh, we're all so proud. Let's all drink and smoke and not be "gay" like the racist ball golfers.

That about sum it up there champ?

Comment

racist = bad but homophobe = good? who are you people? who says things like that?

... not sure really what to say to this but had to say something. also, just for the record, i am rolling my eyes, shaking my head and making those obnoxiousl little derisive snorting noises.

and for the record, i am all for growing the sport because i crave the fame and glory. duh.
              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

There may not be "stuck up racist type people" on the course, but this forum is full of snobs.... Watch what you say!
                A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

In general I've found this forum to be full of basically friendly and helpful people, not snobs.

But if someone agrees that 'the only appeal to this game is that it is not gay', they have a much different perspective on disc golf and life in general. I can't think of an opinion more different than my own. If that makes me a snob, I'm cool with that.
                  Last edited by Matt B.; December 31st, 2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                    In general I've found this forum to be full of basically friendly and helpful people, not snobs.

But if someone agrees that 'the only appeal to this game is that it is not gay', they have a much different perspective on disc golf and life in general. I can't think of an opinion more different than my own. If that makes me a snob, I'm cool with that.
                    i, too, am embracing my snobbery... and have a feeling that gilby was somehow being facetious in that remark about snobs, anyway.
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                      i, too, am embracing my snobbery... and have a feeling that gilby was somehow being facetious in that remark about snobs, anyway.
                      Yeah, snobs was probably not the word I should have used there.
                      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I too am a fan of pay to play. San Diego runs a very successful pay to play course where it's $2 a day to play golf. If that's to much for a family to afford to play than I guess they need to try and do something that's more affordable. Snobby is nothing disc golf will ever become. Not even close. What $2 provides is someone to collect trash, upkeep the course and to continue improvements. The opposite is it's free, it get's overused and under kept and volunteers get overused and burnt out. The land looks rough and couses get pulled cause they aren't kept up properly. Folf at any park will always be free but paying money to throw at chains is probably where the game is going whether some want to kick and scream or not.. We're eating our vegetables and growing up disc golf. Gotta act like big boys and girls and chip in to keep it nice for our kids. If this keeps some people away then those people don't have the love to find a way. People will if they really want to will find a way. Pick Disc over beer or cigarettes or whatever it takes.. Or don't play. I bet very few would quit. Maybe the people who are looking for a place to get wasted and litter lol
                        Relax and enjoy your hair
                        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Not growing is not death. That's some silly unsustainable growth formula that our economy tries to follow which is one of the reason our economy is spinning out of control. Our sport needs to develop symbiotic relationships with the parks they live in otherwise our sport will fail.
                          Relax and enjoy your hair
                          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I think that 'Pay to Play' can be misleading by what the actual pay cost is or becomes in future. I have no problem with 2-3 dollars if course is going to be kept up by someone or parks group or whoever. If the cost is 3+ it better be really well kept, proper signage and trails and such. If it goes above 10 it better be spotless, all fairways groomed, excellent signage and trail flow and such.
                            I feel there will always need to be grass roots level involvement to keep the sport available for all to start out with. Then if you want to move up to fully kept courses so be it.
                            My experiences are from what is happening in Salem especially but Oregon in general and these opinions are my own and may not be agreed with, so be it.
                            Keep the sport growing ( I started over 30 years ago) but keep it available for the families starting out to the 'Pro' who wants to make the money at it. Just be careful what you ask for and how it grows. Educating the masses and explaining why we need help to keep courses up can go a long way.
                            Communication and Respect can be wonderful things in life.
                            Steve 'Hawgman' Moore

Comment

Actually Disc Golf is quite Gay. Many Gay people play the sport (including myself) and even one Gay professional is sponsored by Discraft. Stuck up? Racist? Those are stereotypes that aren't always the case. All disc golfers aren't unemployed, pot smoking, hippie, college kids, some of us don't even go to college.
                              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I have zero issue going and dropping 20+ dollars on a round or two at Skyline, and would do it way more often if it wasn't an hour and half away. We need MORE courses like that.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X