X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flash View Post
    Park along side the road and enjoy it, but when they put up signs or change the use of this road side parking don't bitch and moan when you need to continue driving into that park and pay your fees. If the parking situation creates an issue they will modify your behavior or it will cost you in a larger fee.

I can only speculate that this road side parking will be changing in the future and it won't be Metro who will be driving the change but the Interlachen community will be at the helm.

Keep an eye on the meeting minutes on this website
    http://www.interlachen-hoa.org/?page_id=2

I always play through groups starting on Hole 8, Why should I wait on you when I have paid $5.00 to play you freeloaders!
    Yes, it seems like a change in parking rules is the likely outcome and solution here.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
      I always play through groups starting on Hole 8, Why should I wait on you when I have paid $5.00 to play you freeloaders!

I feel that my post may incur the wrong response by users of the roadside parking so I wanted to include some additional clarification.

PDGA #25296
      Stumptown #34

Comment

Pic fail.
        Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Posted by Flash :
          Park along side the road and enjoy it, but when they put up signs or change the use of this road side parking don't bitch and moan when you need to continue driving into that park and pay your fees. If the parking situation creates an issue they will modify your behavior or it will cost you in a larger fee.

I can only speculate that this road side parking will be changing in the future and it won't be Metro who will be driving the change but the Interlachen community will be at the helm.

Keep an eye on the meeting minutes on this website
          http://www.interlachen-hoa.org/?page_id=2

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
          Yes, it seems like a change in parking rules is the likely outcome and solution here.
          The solution to the problem of free parking? that's cutting off a nose to spite a face!

However, good call about keeping updated on the neighborhood website, true problems would be voiced there:
          "Keep on alert for those persons planting "drano bombs", siphoning gas from vehicles, stealing canoes, creating potholes, stealing outgoing mail, then parking on the street while smoking like chimneys, trailing litter, taking 'cutsies' on the disc golf course, then playing too slow as they scream profanities at their dogs for not fighting aggressively enough to win the big money." If only we can get rid of those six guys that ruin it for the rest of us...
          Just lighting the fuse for the famous "Blue Lake 4 th of July fireworks demonstrations"
          "good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

nwdiscgolfbitching.com

Comment

Originally posted by pdxdiscer View Post
              The solution to the problem of free parking? that's cutting off a nose to spite a face!

However, good call about keeping updated on the neighborhood website, true problems would be voiced there:
              "Keep on alert for those persons planting "drano bombs", siphoning gas from vehicles, stealing canoes, creating potholes, stealing outgoing mail, then parking on the street while smoking like chimneys, trailing litter, taking 'cutsies' on the disc golf course, then playing too slow as they scream profanities at their dogs for not fighting aggressively enough to win the big money." If only we can get rid of those six guys that ruin it for the rest of us...
              Just lighting the fuse for the famous "Blue Lake 4 th of July fireworks demonstrations"
              They are actually a very thorough and watchful community. If they are not happy with the disc golfers parking on the road it will be known soon enough. But like any other community they have other issues to deal with like theft, vandalism and general mayhem. The rest of the rules that are violated inside the park like, smoking, drinking and pets, well that is Metro's responsibility to enforce and they are going to need to accept that responsibility.
              PDGA #25296
              Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by buzzvsroc View Post
                nwdiscgolfbitching.com
                It might seem like bitching to you, but to those of us who have put in 100s of hours installing this course it really does mean a lot to us.

Metro invested a lot of money into this project and they're really not asking for very much in return. They're simply hoping to make that investment worthwhile. Honestly though, if this project does not pay off for Metro, or if it becomes more hassle than it is worth. What do you think the chances of getting more courses funded will be? I'd venture to say, slim to none.

In any case, seeing this course get yanked because of a few inconsiderate people trying to save a couple of bucks would be a great loss to disc golfers in Portland.
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                  It might seem like bitching to you, but to those of us who have put in 100s of hours installing this course it really does mean a lot to us.

Metro invested a lot of money into this project and they're really not asking for very much in return. They're simply hoping to make that investment worthwhile. Honestly though, if this project does not pay off for Metro, or if it becomes more hassle than it is worth. What do you think the chances of getting more courses funded will be? I'd venture to say, slim to none.

In any case, seeing this course get yanked because of a few inconsiderate people trying to save a couple of bucks would be a great loss to disc golfers in Portland.
                  Jeff- since you've worked with Metro--- what's the best way to buy the annual pass while letting Metro know that their awesome blue lake course is the one and only reason for the purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by pdxdiscer View Post

Originally Posted by Matt B.

How so? It's not the solution to free parking, it's the solution to parking along the road period. The neighbors or the governing municipality would be the ones cutting off the nose, so to speak, by ending the roadside parking. And to them that would be improving the face. No?

If parking along that road right now is legal, which it seems it is, then yeah, disc golfers are probably going to park there, and there's nothing morally or legally or even ethically wrong about it.

If that leads to neighbor complaints to Metro and Fairview, increased scrutiny on disc golfer behavior, and general dissatisfaction among neighbors and Metro with the disc golf course, it seems to me that yes, disc golfers would be cutting off their nose to spite the face. Avoiding parking fees at the expense of the thing they are parking there for in the first place. And yes, the thing which might ultimately "solve" the problem for everyone except the people who don't want to pay to park at the course, is 'No Parking' signs.

Does parking there make people douchebags or jerks or evil? Eh, it's an opinion. Can we all agree it's not going to help the course in the long run, it's not going to make a positive impression on the neighbors or Metro, and it's not going to help get Metro onboard to do a similar project?

It's not surprising that some people just don't care if it doesn't help. Most people, and disc golfers are no exception, just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by spikehyzer View Post
                      Jeff- since you've worked with Metro--- what's the best way to buy the annual pass while letting Metro know that their awesome blue lake course is the one and only reason for the purchase?
                      I walked in to the office (the brown house on the right just past the disc golf parking) and said I am here to buy a year pass for the disc golf course. I felt like that got the point across.

So far, Metro IS happy with how things are going, but they have definitely pointed out the few areas where we are having trouble. Mainly the problems were littering, boozing, smoking and that damned parking issue. Thankfully, Metro's proactive installation of additional trash cans has helped with the littering considerably.
                      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

limited to disc golfers?

If the city pulls the course only because of the parking issue, then they should pull something else out too.
                        I'm curious to know, is it only dger's that evade the park fee?
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
                          If the city pulls the course only because of the parking issue, then they should pull something else out too.
                          I'm curious to know, is it only dger's that evade the park fee?

well i do not know for certain.

i think so though as the rest of the park is inside of a cabled fence from what i have seen.

i've only been a couple of times for work parties and we got to park for free and i played it 1 time and we had a pass in the rig we went in.

i sure hope i get to come down and see you next year Yose
                          "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                            How so? It's not the solution to free parking, it's the solution to parking along the road period. The neighbors or the governing municipality would be the ones cutting off the nose, so to speak, by ending the roadside parking. And to them that would be improving the face. No?

If parking along that road right now is legal, which it seems it is, then yeah, disc golfers are probably going to park there, and there's nothing morally or legally or even ethically wrong about it.

If that leads to neighbor complaints to Metro and Fairview, increased scrutiny on disc golfer behavior, and general dissatisfaction among neighbors and Metro with the disc golf course, it seems to me that yes, disc golfers would be cutting off their nose to spite the face. Avoiding parking fees at the expense of the thing they are parking there for in the first place. And yes, the thing which might ultimately "solve" the problem for everyone except the people who don't want to pay to park at the course, is 'No Parking' signs.

Does parking there make people douchebags or jerks or evil? Eh, it's an opinion. Can we all agree it's not going to help the course in the long run, it's not going to make a positive impression on the neighbors or Metro, and it's not going to help get Metro onboard to do a similar project?
                            Well said, Sir.

And thanks for this question and answer:

Originally Posted by spikehyzer View Post
                            Q: Jeff- since you've worked with Metro--- what's the best way to buy the annual pass while letting Metro know that their awesome blue lake course is the one and only reason for the purchase?
                            A: I walked in to the office (the brown house on the right just past the disc golf parking) and said I am here to buy a year pass for the disc golf course. I felt like that got the point across.

because that machine that I feed money into didn't know or care if they were disc golfer dollars
                            Peace, Douchebags
                            "good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

having not played this course, i'm not certain i can contribute to this thread, but.....
                              if i lived on that street, that last thing i would want, is you damn frolfing hippies parking your vans in my spot

Comment

It's funny how there is more of an outcry in this sport over where you should be parking your car or returning a lost disc rather than not drinking, leaving litter and driving home drunk after playing your round at the local course.
                                Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X