X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Calling someone a douchebag for doing something that is perfectly legal seems a little harsh.
    I suppose any slang word is up for interpretation but from my perspective choosing an option that is an obvious attempt to circumvent a rule's intention solely because it is legal is the essence of douchebaggery.

There has been at least 1 car parked on the road next to holes 6/7 every time I have played Blue. My first thought is that it will be the residents along that side of the park that sound the alarm and that will be looking for shady or illegal behaviors to bolster their complaints.
    Last edited by Lund; December 3rd, 2012, 07:16 AM.

Comment

You are correct Scott. It is harsh but that was the point. It's my opinion and I tend to lean that way. I also figured a jarring thread title would generate attention and debate. To be clear all I am saying is, if you drive a motorized vehicle to Blue Lake park, you should pay to park.

Comment

tree love goes on sale tomorrow!

$40 to feed one of my addictions for a year? sold!

Purchase a pass online, over the phone or in person at the Blue Lake or Oxbow Regional park offices. MasterCard and Visa are accepted. For more information, call 503-665-4995 option 0.

Prices
        Regular passes are $40
        Senior passes are $30
        Low-income/disability passes are $10 (documentation required)
        For information about disabled veterans passes call 503-665-4995.

Comment

I will be purchasing a 2013 pass the next time I come up from Albany. I agree 100% that we need to show financial support for our incredible disc golf scene, especially on courses managed by public entities. Blue Lake is truly a special place that will soon be (if it already isn't) a destination course. We should all support in ANY way we can. This will ensure the continued prosperity of the sport (and the development of exceptional courses) in the region.

No low putts.

Comment

Since this course is to be used for The Worlds in 2014, it would be nice to for it to be there to use. Hopefully us disc'ers, the neighbors, and Metro will soon make a lasting relationship. I need to get up there and play it soon I guess.

Comment

Don't agree with not paying to park but can understand why someone might not. What gets me going is playing holes 1-7 just fine then getting backed up for an hour on hole 8 with 5 groups in front of you. Start at tee one will ya.

Comment

My thoughts on the subject, which I realize are very different from most NWDGN forum-goers (but perhaps not uncommon amongst the general public): I paid $5 to play Blue Lake Park once, just so I could see what all the fuss was about. I'm glad I went, but I probably won't be back much. I don't think a course with four 900'+ holes is much fun.

If I'm headed out that direction, I'll have a more enjoyable time if I drive five more minutes and go to Dabney or Rooster Rock, both of which I can get into using my Oregon State Parks pass — which is also valid at McIver, Stub Stewart, Champoeg, and a whole pile of other non-DG parks (e.g., Silver Falls, Ecola, Nehalem Bay).

Basically, for me, playing Blue Lake isn't worth the money. If I was in the neighborhood and there was a free parking option, I might take advantage of that, because the alternative is not going there at all.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

What I though was a little effed up was the fact the season pass doesn't start when you buy it, unlike the state parks pass does. I have spent $40.00 on parking this year at Blue Lake and I will now be parking on the street when I go there to play. I will however, walk to hole 1 to begin.

Comment

Do you believe in the Commons?

Is everybody cool with me buying the yearly pass and parking on the street to start at hole 8?

This debate is quite similar to $ parking pass to access public lands [NW Forest Pass], with similar issues:

A. If you pay, theoretically you have more say in the use of the resource. Is this true at Blue Lake?

B. Not everyone is in a position to pay everytime/anytime they want to access this outdoor resource,
                    or Does EVERY F'in thing in this society have to cost cash money, and F@#$ you if ya ain't got ? (the answer might be 'yes')

C. there will always be free riders on a resource that is not completely access restricted , like clean air
                    so maybe those who carpool in a Prius can park on street and those who drive alone in their SUV should pay to park?

D. how much more space on my windshield can I cover with these things?
                    Do u contribute?
                    from http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=24271
                    Metro will receive an estimated $39 million in property tax in FY 2011-12
                    PLUS local, state and federal grants ($12.6 million)
                    PLUS Current revenue= 57% of Metro's resources
                    such as: solid waste disposal fees {Metro's largest $ activity}, also Zoo admission fees, Blue Lake fees, Arleen Snitz concert admission...
                    METRO also brings you the Urban Growth Boundry, probably the only thing slowing PDX's slide toward Seattle sprawl and Californication
                    "good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

I worry about what the neighbors will think. When I played Blue lake for the first time I walked out onto the street for a cigarette after hole 9. Then I realized that this is a practice that will probably piss off the neighbors so even though I am a heavy smoker I have submitted to the fact that I just won't smoke when I play blue lake. I saw what it did to that short lived little course most recently removed in Gresham. Between the parking issues, the smoking and the drinking (mainly littering by the way of cans and bottles) a couple of neighbors had enough pictorial proof to have the course removed. Imagine how embarrassing that would be if they removed blue lake before 2014?

I'm not calling people douchebags for parking outside the park because it is not for me to judge those on a tighter budget than I, but......I would suggest that most people who can afford to drive out there to play can afford the $5 fee, but for those who cant they should probably get a ride with someone who can. If this practice becomes a big issue with the locals it could have some seriously negative affects to the longevity of blue lake as a disc golf destination.

There will always be the few who make disc golf look bad. Just as long as the majority can carry themselves with decorum, civility, discretion and respect we can continue to be given opportunities such as the ones realized at Blue Lake. But if enough people get rubbed the wrong way it can all go away very quickly.

Comment

[QUOTE=loki

Just as long as the majority can carry themselves with decorum, civility, discretion and respect we can continue to be given opportunities such as the ones realized at Blue Lake. [/QUOTE]

"good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

Unfortunately we seem to have a disproportionately high rate of "Rebel Without a Clue" syndrome in the disc golfer community. This situation seems like a pretty good example. It can also be described as "cutting off your nose to spite your face". People are going to stick it to the man, man! If that results in everybody losing out, oh well man, f*ck it.

It's nothing new, and not unique to Blue Lake. What's unique to Blue Lake is both just how much there is to lose, and the forethought and care the crew that installed the course put into identifying the potential problems and trying to put solutions into place from the get-go. For instance, the tee signs on the holes that play along the neighborhood road reminding us that we are guests in the neighborhood.

First time I played there I encountered a group at the tee of the last hole along that road drinking, smoking and in the company of their dog. No big surprise, but still a disappointment. I hope the Blue Lake staff and Metro are tracking an increase in parking fees and can relate it to this awesome disc golf course sooner rather than later. And maybe if road parking becomes really popular, the fee structure changes to pay-to-play instead of pay-to-park? That would be a shame, as I really like the thinking that encourages car-pooling and alternative transport.

Just because it's legal to park on that road doesn't make it a smart thing to do for people who want to see the course succeed. It's pretty sure to be the first thing the neighbors notice though, unless people have been parking there for other reasons prior to the course installation. And once some neighbor decides they don't like that, they will start to find other things they don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                            My thoughts on the subject, which I realize are very different from most NWDGN forum-goers (but perhaps not uncommon amongst the general public): I paid $5 to play Blue Lake Park once, just so I could see what all the fuss was about. I'm glad I went, but I probably won't be back much. I don't think a course with four 900'+ holes is much fun.

If I'm headed out that direction, I'll have a more enjoyable time if I drive five more minutes and go to Dabney or Rooster Rock, both of which I can get into using my Oregon State Parks pass which is also valid at McIver, Stub Stewart, Champoeg, and a whole pile of other non-DG parks (e.g., Silver Falls, Ecola, Nehalem Bay).

Basically, for me, playing Blue Lake isn't worth the money. If I was in the neighborhood and there was a free parking option, I might take advantage of that, because the alternative is not going there at all.
                            Adam, will we ever break you out of that "it's not fun if I don't have a chance at a 2" mold? What's a few extra throws on a nice walk in the park?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                              Adam, will we ever break you out of that "it's not fun if I don't have a chance at a 2" mold?
                              Nope. And I still have no desire to play in tournaments.

Part of it is about TIME: one of the things I like about disc golf is that it doesn't take all day to play a round. If I've got 90 minutes to play, I'd rather play 18 holes (or 27 if solo) than 9.

And like I said, I'm not alone. Casual players are underrepresented on internet forums.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

part of it

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                                It's nothing new, and not unique to Blue Lake.
                                I don't think it's right, but some things will never change.
                                It's been going on for years at other places and I have yet to hear of any courses being closed because of it.
                                Tom Pearce in Grants Pass deals with this daily. The worst part of this being that the jerks start the course on hole 8.
                                So, don't design courses with holes 7 or 8 by public access and we should be gudt to go, eh?
                                I think if you state your feelings to these peeps in an educational way, (line them up in a firing squad and throw stiff Eclipses at their knees) you may get one or two to climb on board and then, after they can walk again, they may teach they're buddies to start on tee 1.
                                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                                - Anonymous

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X