X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not paying to park at Blue Lake = Douchebag

What a great new course we have. I for one did absolutely nothing to make this happen. No work, no donations, not one damn thing. The least I can do is pay to park. I understand that it is "legal" to park on the road, but by doing so you are not contributing. Metro, Stumptown and a whole army of volunteers paid a ton of dues to build this course. I feel it is every disc golfers responsibility to show this to be a sustainable project. By paying to park or purchasing an annual parking pass($40) we are showing Metro something. We show that they made a good decision by installing a disc golf course. If we can show Metro that their investment in our community has even a small return maybe they will open up even more land for future courses. This is my opinion and I'm sure quite a few people will disagree. If you're not at least paying to park at Blue Lake, you are a douchebag.

P.S. The people who put in the bulk of the work all have annual parking passes. I would love to hear what your excuse is.

Originally posted by columbia gorge discgolf View Post
    What a great new course we have. I for one did absolutely nothing to make this happen. No work, no donations, not one damn thing. The least I can do is pay to park. I understand that it is "legal" to park on the road, but by doing so you are not contributing. Metro, Stumptown and a whole army of volunteers paid a ton of dues to build this course. I feel it is every disc golfers responsibility to show this to be a sustainable project. By paying to park or purchasing an annual parking pass($40) we are showing Metro something. We show that they made a good decision by installing a disc golf course. If we can show Metro that their investment in our community has even a small return maybe they will open up even more land for future courses. This is my opinion and I'm sure quite a few people will disagree. If you're not at least paying to park at Blue Lake, you are a douchebag.

P.S. The people who put in the bulk of the work all have annual parking passes. I would love to hear what your excuse is.
    Second.

Comment

I fully agree that cheating by parking on the street is a slimy move. If someone is too pinched for funds to pay for parking; then they should take the bus, ride a bike, walk, or carpool. But parking on the street and starting in the middle of the course makes DGr's look bad.

Btw, I called Metro to check on when the 2013 annual pass will be released. This Tuesday December 4th we can purchase the 2013 parking pass for Blue Lake and any other Metro parks that share reciprocity, I do not know which additional parks that would be. I plan on asking Metro to note I am only buying the pass due to the new Blue Lake course. If we all do that it would help them understand how much we all appreciate the course.
      Last edited by jdinteg; December 2nd, 2012, 11:02 PM.
      PDGA# 49616
      Stumptown# 353
      OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I know it includes Chinook Landing, at least that's if I remember correctly.

Comment

It is so weird. Pier and Blue Lake are the same distance from SE Portland...If you want to play for free it makes sense to go to Pier. Both a great courses and I know if I'm short for funds, I'll head to Pier or look in the cushions of the couch to pay to park at Blue Lake.

Comment

So if you bike to work because parking is too expensive are you being a "douche bag" too?

So someone is saving a couple of bucks by walking a little farther like when you go to a sports event and park farther away to save money? Sounds reasonable but I guess that would be taking away from all of the hard work of the people who built the streets and and signs rights?
            Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
              So if you bike to work because parking is too expensive are you being a "douche bag" too?

So someone is saving a couple of bucks by walking a little farther like when you go to a sports event and park farther away to save money? Sounds reasonable but I guess that would be taking away from all of the hard work of the people who built the streets and and signs rights?

the course is part of the park......what your saying is it is alright to sneak in to the newest disc course in the Portland area

or maybe park along the road above Milo or Dabney and sneak in to play a round

since we want the Metro parks around here to help us, by letting us put more courses in the ground why is it so hard to cough up a couple bucks or buy a pass for the year... or just play any of the FREE 1's we have around also..... as we are some of the most spoiled discers in the USA
              "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
                the course is part of the park......what your saying is it is alright to sneak in to the newest disc course in the Portland area
                It's not "sneaking" in. The fee is to park a vehicle at the park, not ENTER the park. If it were an entrance fee, you'd pay per person even if you biked or walked in.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  It's not "sneaking" in. The fee is to park a vehicle at the park, not ENTER the park. If it were an entrance fee, you'd pay per person even if you biked or walked in.

Thanks for that info now i feel like a total shit for what i said.....naw i dont think so.

if you park on the street around the park i hope you get towed i doubt it will happen.

Thanks again Adam

and if your biking/busing/walking to the park then more power to you
                  "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Bike and walk to Blue Lake all you want to. I'm all for that type of non intrusive transportation. I don't think it's cool to park all along the neighborhood when parking is offered for a small fee and benefits the course. I feel we as golfers need to cultivate a positive image with the neighbors. Parking in front of their houses and dipping into the park really is counter productive. It's a shame that some people have a problem supporting their own recreation.

Comment

Since I already have a pass just curious how much of the purchase of a pass goes back into course upkeep and improvement? I would also like to say to everyone please clean up after yourself I have carried out one plastic grocery sack of trash after each round that I have played mostly beer cans/bottles. I think this would be a quick way for metro to shut the course down if you are going to drink pack out your trash please.

Comment

Paying to play is the wave of the future. The more popular and successful it is the sooner another course gets put in!
                        Relax and enjoy your hair
                        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

REALLY?

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                          Paying to play is the wave of the future. The more popular and successful it is the sooner another course gets put in!
                          If paying to park and play is the trade I have to make to get courses like Blue Lake in, then I will happily pay $5 a day to park my car. It's still cheaper then the $40-60 I would pay to play an 18-hole round at an OK municipal ball golf course, or the $80-100 for a high caliber ball golf course, then some require a caddie +$50, and a cart +$20. Turn left early as your heading up to Hornings some day and look at the prices at Pumpkin Ridge, then let me know if $3-$5 is unfair?
                          PDGA# 49616
                          Stumptown# 353
                          OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I honestly have no problem paying to play disc golf so long as the course calls for it. I buy a yearly pass for Farragut (even though I don't have a car) because the courses are well worth the money spent. The best part about pay to play is it usually keeps the 18 pack 1 disc huckers away from the course meaning a more enjoyable day of golf for me!
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Paying $5 to park isn't that big of a deal for me and if I lived closer I wouldn't think twice about purchasing an annual pass. Judging by the previous comments, it seems that most here feel the same way.

But that doesn't mean that everyone has to feel the same way we do. Calling someone a douchebag for doing something that is perfectly legal seems a little harsh.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X