X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching disc golf

I am a 5th grade teacher getting ready to start an after school disc golf club. Does anyone know where I might be able to get donations or grants to help pay for equipment? The equipment can be used or new. I would appreciate any help.

Check your Private Messages
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Jody,
      Where are you located? I think the locals in your area would be happy to donate some used discs to help get you started.

Thanks for creating a new generation of disc golfers!
      Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian.

I hope I am responding to your post in the right place! I live in Portland, but I teach in Vancouver, WA with the Evergreen School District at Marrion Elementary. My students are so excited to start playing. I have been taking 2 boys and 2 girls outside during recess to show them a few pointers to get started. I will be starting my after school club in the early spring. My school has the perfect size field to show some beginners how to get involved in disc golf. Donations would be fabulous.

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
        Jody,
        Where are you located? I think the locals in your area would be happy to donate some used discs to help get you started.

Thanks for creating a new generation of disc golfers!
        Brian

Comment

I have 5 Innova Birdie Putt/Approach discs you can have. I can probably drop them off at Marrion.

MikeD

Comment

Wow Mike, thanks!

Mike,
            That would be amazing! Are you near Marrion, where that won't be a problem?

Originally posted by quenyaistar View Post
            I have 5 Innova Birdie Putt/Approach discs you can have. I can probably drop them off at Marrion.

MikeD

Comment

This would be something to look into http://www.edgediscgolf.org/
              A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I just happened to check in today to see some information about the Chilly Smack event in Washington.

Jody, great news is that (EDGE) Educational Disc Golf Experience has grant money available for Washington Schools thanks to the contributions of last year's Chili Smack tournament and Mike Rideout's crew.

I can be reached: Reading at edgediscgolf dot org

Any other events that want to get involved in growing the sport, give a hollar!

Jay Reading
                EDGE Disc Golf
                http://www.edgediscgolf.org

Comment

Originally posted by Yeti View Post
                  I just happened to check in today to see some information about the Chilly Smack event in Washington.

Jody, great news is that (EDGE) Educational Disc Golf Experience has grant money available for Washington Schools thanks to the contributions of last year's Chili Smack tournament and Mike Rideout's crew.

I can be reached: Reading at edgediscgolf dot org

Any other events that want to get involved in growing the sport, give a hollar!

Jay Reading
                  EDGE Disc Golf
                  http://www.edgediscgolf.org
                  Yeti is in the house, ladies and gentleman. Welcome to the site Jay! BTW....give that wife of yours a hug for me.

Bob Cabal

Comment

Hey,
                    If you're still looking to get this going let me know. I ran a fundraising tournament to get the EDGE curriculum for my classroom a few years back. We made enough to cover tourny costs and a $350 package including the EDGE curriculum, 20 discs, and a portable basket. I've been using it for 3 years now and my kids love it. PM me for more info. I'm looking for another fundraising tournament right now for FORE Youth to fund this year.
                    FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
                      Thanks for dropping off the BIRDIE's! They will be put to good use! My kiddo's saw them and couldn't wait to start playing! Happy Holidays!

Originally posted by Jody View Post
                      Mike,
                      That would be amazing! Are you near Marrion, where that won't be a problem?

Comment

Mr. Jay Reading is the Man!

Jody, hope you contacted Yeti. He recently helped me and my school get in on the EDGE curriculum. Our stuff is on the way, can't wait to see it in my office!! I'm a third grade teacher and will also be starting an after school program. I take my class out a couple times each year to play in our large field as well so this will be great to have the PE teacher doing it as well as myself. Good luck. I'm gonna have to try and get some donated discs like you've managed....I could probably start myself off with a bunch of my own though!

Thanks again Yeti!!
                        "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

Comment

Originally posted by ski2man View Post
                          Jody, hope you contacted Yeti. He recently helped me and my school get in on the EDGE curriculum. Our stuff is on the way, can't wait to see it in my office!! I'm a third grade teacher and will also be starting an after school program. I take my class out a couple times each year to play in our large field as well so this will be great to have the PE teacher doing it as well as myself. Good luck. I'm gonna have to try and get some donated discs like you've managed....I could probably start myself off with a bunch of my own though!

Thanks again Yeti!!
                          I have some lighter and slower stuff you can have

Comment

I too am a teacher in the puget sound and work with first graders. I teach DG every year to them and actually have one of my own portable baskets in my class. I have some old discs that have been donated but they are all fast drivers so I will need to look into getting some putters/mids that are more appropriate. I plan on contacting YETI as well in hopes of getting the EDGE program at my school as it would really have an impact on these kids. I eventually plan to be a PE teacher and KNOW I will teach it to K-5 once I do. For now however, I spend my time teaching K-2 which is hilarious to watch and a lot of fun! I just have to spend a lot of time going over rules so they don't kill eachother with wraiths and banshees. LOL.

If anyone has one or more CHEAP putters/mids they are looking to get rid of or donate please feel free to PM me and we can find a way to meet up if you are in the Seattle/Everett Area (assuming Jody got what she needed). Anything would be MUCH appreicated and well used/loved.
                            Last edited by JR Stengele; January 8th, 2013, 01:06 PM.
                            "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                            -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

I just want to thank everyone who responded to this post. It is nice to see so many people care about kids as much as I do. I think it is amazing that there is such a drive to get kids recognizing the benefits of this awesome sport.
                              I especially want to thank Jay Reading from EDGE disc golf. He has helped put together a program that is beyond generous. My PE teacher and I are going to be able to have a disc golf club and enough equipment to enter disc golf into his curriculum. Jay just sent me my order form and my equipment is on the way! I found out what Jay was sending in the middle of my school day and started crying with excitement. My kids were all concerned, but when I told them the good news they were asking when we can get started! This club is going to be a huge success at my school because of Jay.
                              Thanks again to everyone out there willing to help! You have no idea what your generosity means to me. I know this is probably overkill, but thanks again Jay Reading. Your contribution to my school and the disc golf program will impact so many lives!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X