X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
    You would only want to do that (2.5SD-1) for Pros. If you did it for Ams, you would be sanctioning a fast way for them to drop their ratings and bag in a lower division.
    Not to mention that if the player were a propagator then this would skew the round ratings for everyone else to be slightly better than they actually were due to the course looking harder.

Overall, I think that dropping the round entirely is probably the best overall solution. Allowing reporting for repeat offenders is also nice. This is the current system from my understanding, so I don't see a good reason to change it.
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

not just bragging stats

one real life consequence might be: dropping out to preserve a rating above X,
      X being the rating that allows you to sign up for a sell-out tourney [BSF perhaps] earlier

like : Thurs Nov 1st : sign up for all pros with player rating above X
      Fri Nov 2nd: all pros with a rating below X and above Y can now sign up for remaining slots
      "good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

This is causing a bit of a problem in Europe where minimum ratings are used to determine preference for several event entries. This has resulted in complaints from some European organizers that the PDGA isn't doing enough to stop the "DNF to protect a rating" problem. Of course, the rules do not allow players to withdraw or tank rounds to protect their rating if it's actually called [3.3B(13)]. Getting players and TDs to call it is part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
          Getting players and TDs to call it is part of the problem.
          Hmmm... Calling it... and having ANYONE listen are two entirely different things. I know of several cases where people DID complain about the actions of some players only to have their concerns fall on completely deaf ears. If the PDGA never responds to a valid issue, it pretty much makes people think it is pointless to even complain.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I was thinking it would be cool if they institute something that penalizes the player that quits a tourney. My idea is to have a few categories:

DNF - I (injury) no penalty

DNF - E (Emergency) No Penalty

DNF - DNF something should happen to your rating like a -10 point penalty?

Thoughts?
            www.rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by CMC206 View Post
              I was thinking it would be cool if they institute something that penalizes the player that quits a tourney. My idea is to have a few categories:

Thoughts?
              That is an excellent idea, plus the players who jsut no show the second day of an event would be much more apt to call or send a message to the TD that some kind of Emergency happend (real or percieved) which would then give the TD the proper information needed to assign players to cards and avoid the only 2 people show up rule.

I personally would never quit a round short of Injury or Emergency, but if I knew that my rating was going to take a 10 point hit if I didnt provide explanation to the TD, I would certainly make an effort to give them a heads up. This doesnt only happen on day two, it can also happen on round 2 if you shoot really crappy then I have seen many instances of no showing for round 2. In the interest of Sportsmanship and limited availability, I think it would be a great idea to hold these perpetual DNF'ers accountable.
              Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

So if a pro were to shoot 14 and then 80 points below their rating on day 1, would that affect their ratings enough to make them not show on day 2?
                Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

Thoughts?
                  Not that tough to fake an injury.

Comment

Thoughts?
                    Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Exactly.

Which is why my suggested solution wasn't overly harsh, but it affected EVERY round that a player starts but does not finish.
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

The PDGA Disciplinary Committee has actually dealt with at least 5 cases pertaining to tanking rounds in the past year. Not sure what penalty was applied in any case but it did not affect their rating.

Roger and I proposed a 5-point penalty be applied to a Pro's current rating (not Ams) for any DNF regardless of reason that would be in place for 6 months. Just like it doesn't matter why you are late to your hole(s) and get par+4, we wouldn't care why the player withdrew. It would just be the standard penalty for any DNF. It's still being considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        Losing your ass is not a fake injury, is it?

Chuck, while I can appreciate 5 cases being handled over the last year one look at any larger tournament shows a number higher than that for one single tournament.

Serious question, does anyone know what the rules are pertaining to rounds in PGA ball golf events? If a player leaves early is there a penalty? Just curious.
                        "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Philips View Post
                          Losing your ass is not a fake injury, is it?

Chuck, while I can appreciate 5 cases being handled over the last year one look at any larger tournament shows a number higher than that for one single tournament.

Serious question, does anyone know what the rules are pertaining to rounds in PGA ball golf events? If a player leaves early is there a penalty? Just curious.
                          No sure but there is usually a significant loss of money to the player and the sponsor. Also almost every ball golf event has a cut, you won't make the cut if you are sucking pond water. If you make the cut and drop you are walking away from a paycheck.
                          PDGA #25296
                          Stumptown #34

Comment

I think if you're unavoidably negatively affecting the people around you or are physically hurt then by all means quit. If you're just having a shitty day I think it's best to stick it out & be grateful for the opportunity to control your emotions instead of letting your emotions control you. I learn far more from the bad days on the course than I do the good.

As far as sanctions for DNF's go, I think you should get a set # per year with no penalty. If you exceed that # you are suspended from playing tournaments for x amount of time. If you're DNF's are legitimate injuries then you should be able to appeal the suspension.

**I really think something like the above idea should only apply to the upper end of the pros though. A few rating points doesn't really matter much for the rest of us & would be a waste of time & resources for the PDGA to administer. A simple internet incentive such as an iron man award for your player page given to those with no annual DNF's (or something similar) might go a long way. Go 5 years with no DNF'S & get a pin for your bag or something.
                            Read this ^

Comment

In 2011 there were a bit more than 2800 DNFs out of around 200,000 rounds. So less than 2%. One player had the most at 6.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X