X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen.Sines View Post
    you should quit only if you end up in a coffin.
    Or somebody you know ends up in a coffin. Or if you're playing the Oregon State Disc Golf Championships and lose every disc you own in the murky disc stealing waters of Trojan.
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
      Wat?

I don't think I've ever not turned in my card.

I also am not sure where the three other people thing came from. People can choose to not turn in their card even though the rest of the flight turns theirs in.
      I assumed a scorecard with three other people on it. I've never played a tournament where each player had an individual card.

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
        Or somebody you know ends up in a coffin. Or if you're playing the Oregon State Disc Golf Championships and lose every disc you own in the murky disc stealing waters of Trojan.
        Muhahahahahaaaa!
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          I assumed a scorecard with three other people on it. I've never played a tournament where each player had an individual card.
          As a TD it's easier for me at crunch time to shuffle individual cards vs filling out new ones.

The three player rule is a good one if you know ahead of time.
          the ultimate screw is after you send out groups you find out someone is either late or not coming at all. Two part Scoreboard solves late issue. "Here is where they started this long ago"

Solution 1 depending on how many are in the group behind them the short group might wait and pick up another from that group. On course solutions are always my first choice.

Solution 2 Another is have dropping player inform TD on their way out. Nothing is stopping the short group from allowing others through till the TD can sort it out.
          rewindb.com

Comment

i move to drift this thread...

ugh to you washingtonians and your individual scorecards! ugh, i say!

such a pain in the ass when taking scores... especially when it's raining...
            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
              ugh to you washingtonians and your individual scorecards! ugh, i say!

such a pain in the ass when taking scores... especially when it's raining...
              word.

Comment

Seriously? Everyone just keeps their own scorecard? I didn't realize this was a thing. Does one person take score for everyone on four cards, or dies everyone just keep their own. Seems that would open the door for lots of shenanigans.

Comment

It seems like all the tourney's I play 1 person scores and holds 4 cards. I do think that TD's should always remind people that everyone in the group should have the cards for a few holes.
                  www.rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Seriously? Everyone just keeps their own scorecard? I didn't realize this was a thing. Does one person take score for everyone on four cards, or dies everyone just keep their own. Seems that would open the door for lots of shenanigans.
                    no, scott. don't be silly. no one keeps their own scorecard. it's the same as the one card per four people as far as everyone takes a turn recording scores and the scores are all held together... it's just signifigantly more tiresome and involves signifigantly more shuffling of paper and cursing on my part.

i do like being able to, at the end of the round, hand out the cards and everyone can add up their own score immediately... instead of having to "politely" wait while someone bogarts the card and ploddingly does the math i could have had done like, 5 minutes ago...
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Yes, dropping out of a round or event midway or mid round expressly for ratings purposes is weaksauce or worse. I think we've covered the downsides.

However, I do want to advocate that it is permissable and generally understood without heavy verbal condemnation that a player should have the right to stop play at any moment.

Likely nothing I'd ever want to exercise, nor do I think I'll need to, but gosh, ... health crisis (real or imagined), sense of dread, mental instability... there's no need for a mental stability crisis to play out over the next 8 holes... So I think that its good that there be a real "out" and escape from some of those darker events.

Therein lies the toughie, you need that "out" to be there without requiring a stated reason, but don't want to to happen for the wrong reasons. Then how do you account for and bring consequences to the poor reasons? (as you see it)

Just wanted to add it in to counter those that may say as long as you're breathing you should finish.

Comment

I think the solution to this issue could potentially be quite simple. If you start a round, and do not finish that round for any reason, that round will be rated at (1.5x?) your standard deviation. With that rule in place any unfinished rounds would always be included in your rating. Sure, they will sting a little bit, but the ratings punishment would not be unduly severe.
                        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                          I think the solution to this issue could potentially be quite simple. If you start a round, and do not finish that round for any reason, that round will be rated at (1.5x?) your standard deviation. With that rule in place any unfinished rounds would always be included in your rating. Sure, they will sting a little bit, but the ratings punishment would not be unduly severe.
                          That would benefit a player more than 1 out of 20 rounds if assuming they are randomly dropped from a round. Considering that the player is probably dropping due to poor performance it would rate their round higher than actual more often than that.

If you were to actually handle dropped rounds this way, then you would probably want to make it 2.5 standard deviations plus one point (and not exceeding 99 rating points) lower than average so that it was at the lowest rating that could be included in the rating.
                          Last edited by Parks; October 30th, 2012, 09:33 PM.
                          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

You would only want to do that (2.5SD-1) for Pros. If you did it for Ams, you would be sanctioning a fast way for them to drop their ratings and bag in a lower division.

Comment

I have only seen people drop out first hand on a couple occasions and they were not injury related. Once it was to protect a rating the other was because someone couldn't deal with cold / rainy conditions. To be honest it was more of an addition by subtraction for the rest of the group in both instances.

Comment

Originally posted by Lund View Post
                                To be honest it was more of an addition by subtraction for the rest of the group in both instances.
                                I still think the issue for me is the fact that someone who would have played no matter what. Someone who would have stuck it out was probably on a waitlist and didn't get to play.

I wonder if there is a system of notification of players who perpetually drop from tournaments. Would a tournament director want to know of people who typically do not finish?
                                "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X