X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on funding for disc golf education

I teach 3rd grade. I would love to introduce the sport to students at my school. I already do this with my own class. However, I would love to start an after school program with students and have a course at my school that we can play at and practice the game. However, this is, of course, is not cheap. Discs, not the biggest problem, it's the baskets. I know EDGE has packages, but they are still too much. Any advice on grants or donation possibilities for a teacher to put together something like this? Thanks! I believe there are basically zero schools doing this in WA state..I would love to be a trailblazer in this.
    "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

there is one school in Spokane (Chase Middle School) that has put in 6 baskets around their property. I believe they recieved a grant to put the baskets in and during the summer a group plays a weekly round, adding 3 portable practice baskets for a 9 hole with lots (Loooooooooooootttssssssssssss) of OB. I remember talking to someone involved in getting the Chase course put in, but don't remember the specifics.
    if you are on the west side, I have heard of a person (http://www.discgolfscene.com/profile/1343) that makes baskets for ~100-140 each. if that is still out of your price range, you may want to talk to a local community college/high school welding shop to find out if they will fabricate the baskets for you for less (hard to beat a 24 chain basket with in ground sleeve for <$130).

Good luck, hope you get something going for the kiddos. We need more NW youth champs if we want to compete with the rest of the world.

Comment

How about fundraiser tournament(s) run elsewhere to raise money for this cause? I know when I ran an Ice Bowl a couple years ago players came out in droves and donated up the @$$. It was pretty cool and humbling to see. For that particular event I think I had something like 57 players and brought in about $2500 for a single event which after all costs ended up being about a $2000 donation. I think the single best way to bring in extra money for an event like this, if you are going to do it, is with the use of mulligans which I know some players hate...but if the point of the event is to raise money then it's kinda hard to argue with. Just my 2 cents though.

I work at a local high school in eastern WA and think of a fundraiser tourney every time I walk onto the campus. There's tons of potential for OB and a hard course to be set up temporarily.

Comment

I would contact your local Disc Golf Club. They, more than likely, could use someone with your enthusiasm and insight.

Comment

Originally posted by KG_MCDGC View Post
          I would contact your local Disc Golf Club. They, more than likely, could use someone with your enthusiasm and insight.
          That would be you guys I'm part of MCDG. I live in Shelton but teach in Belfair.

And my thought was a fundraiser at Shelton Springs...maybe around Ice Bowl time? I dunno...just a thought...we need more tournaments there and it sounds like it could get a lot of $.

Just not sure how to go about it, if people would be willing since the school is not in Shelton...etc etc.

Also, the school does not have the BEST area for interesting holes, but we are talking about a course for beginning elementary students...not us.

Basically, I'm really up in the air about this and trying to figure out feasibility and such first.
          Last edited by ski2man; October 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Find a sponsor for each hole and put their name and info on the basket

Comment

Originally posted by ski2man View Post
              That would be you guys I'm part of MCDG. I live in Shelton but teach in Belfair.

And my thought was a fundraiser at Shelton Springs...maybe around Ice Bowl time? I dunno...just a thought...we need more tournaments there and it sounds like it could get a lot of $.

Just not sure how to go about it, if people would be willing since the school is not in Shelton...etc etc.

Also, the school does not have the BEST area for interesting holes, but we are talking about a course for beginning elementary students...not us.

Basically, I'm really up in the air about this and trying to figure out feasibility and such first.
              I really think that contacting MCDG and starting dialogue about your idea is going to be key in your area. You're absolutely right about Shelton Springs being tournament-ready. And all of the tournament experiences there are positive because of the amount of man-hours and organizing done by the Club. That said, someone who had a goal in mind AND was willing to offer their services/hours would be invaluable.

The E.D.G.E. program is something worth looking into. I know MCDG has looked into it for the schools in their area. I think that Disc Golf in grade schools doesn't necessarily equate into installing a course. That may be an end product, but I think getting a Disc Golf curriculum introduced in the P.E. classes is the first step (then an after-school program, etc.). Who knows? It may lead to a added interest in Disc Golf among the adults in North Mason County, which may lead to a permanent course up there. Really, the possibilities are endless. But, I will say from experience, it so much worthwhile to attempt something like this with a group that is organized. Belfair is surrounded by two well-organized and welcoming Clubs, MCDG and WSDGA.

One more thing. You are not alone. Your vision is a shared vision. Most Disc Golfers would love to see more courses, and more people enjoying this great sport. I think that a fundraising tournament that benefits this community, in ANY way, would be embraced.

I would pm ----> Skookum or Maco Capo

Comment

Originally posted by KG_MCDGC View Post
                I would pm ----> Skookum or Maco Capo
                Will do, thought about that first, but then thought maybe I'd get some other ideas first. I agree a course immediately is not necessary. Not sure about getting it into the PE program but it may be possible. Would need the funds for the equipment and to get the EDGE curriculum so that it was a viable deal for the district. That would definitely be the first step. I would eventually like a few holes however for the kids to play and maybe be able to do during PE and my end goal is to have an after school program next year (possibly even this spring). This way I get involved as well...can't do the PE stuff...but would get to the teacher. Anyway, thanks for all the tips so far!

Comment

my first inclination is to have the school district foot the bill. if the course is going to be on school property and used by school children, then i dont think private money or belonings (baskets) be used for the project. put together a indepth and detailed proposal and bring it before the district, and convince them why it is valuable for them and the children. it will be hard work on your part, but totally worth all the hours and research you put in if they approve it.

if that doesnt pan out then ask them how they would feel about having the baskets donated to the school district, and if they approve then start looking to outward fundraisers to pay for baskets. but i believe that first and foremost that the school should pay for it.
                  Team HOSER:dancing:
                  Team OLY:cheerleader:
                  Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

I'll get a hold of you when we have our next club meeting and we can talk further about setting up a tourney. I think it's a great idea. I'm sure the rest of MCDG thinks the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by maco capo View Post
                      I'll get a hold of you when we have our next club meeting and we can talk further about setting up a tourney. I think it's a great idea. I'm sure the rest of MCDG thinks the same thing
                      Right on, thanks! I would like to come. I think the first step would be purchasing the basic EDGE program ($700) and get it into my school's PE program. I would slowly work towards a few baskets on the school grounds (there's not too much to work with). I have talked to my PE teacher and he's in to include it if we get the curriculum, my principal is ok with it as well. Then, in the spring hopefully, I would run an after school program to add to the experience for the kids with some portable baskets and additional instruction. Just in the baby-steps and looking long term. It's not going to be an incredibly fast process I think. Anyway, I'm glad you are thinking this is possible and a good idea. I'm thinking a fundraising tournament is a great idea...possibly even sanctioned, maybe people could even donate old discs, towels, bags, whatever for entry as well? Instead of food (as in an ice bowl?) or money...could be donations or money? Just ideas. Thanks! Talk to you later.

Basic Package - $699.95
                      Suitable for introductory play, indoor use, or for itinerant teachers that need an easy-to-transport setup.

Includes the EDGE curriculum package, Getting the EDGE DVD, 3 collapsible portable disc golf targets, 30 lightweight golf discs, 30 mini-marker discs, and 30 enrollments in the SkillShot Awards Program.
                      Last edited by ski2man; October 19th, 2012, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X