Clear All

That is a sweet rig. Nice job, Matt.
    Joe Wander
    Producer and Editor
    Disc Golf Live video magazine
    www.discgolflive.com
    Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time

Comment

I have a mountain of glow plastic I would really like to use. My last round was frustrating trying to hide the flash light from the other discers to avoid annoying them, charge the disc, throw it with my eyes not dilated, and then looking for a dim disc in the dark. I'm not a fan of the LEDs/Tape even though they seem to do the best job of lighting, I may have to rethink that. The standard white led flashlights I have used are lame and leave the discs very dim. So before I sell all my Glow Champ off and just buy Opto plastic with lights, I decided to pony up for a decent light to charge those glow discs from Newegg, see link below. We'll see how it works..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA
      PDGA# 49616
      Stumptown# 353
      OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I made this. You can turn the light off before you take your disc out. Have not actually used it yet, but tested it and it gets one disc to glow nicely.

Home depot orange glows nice, probably could mark a basket with it as well

Comment

Originally posted by quenyaistar View Post
          I made this. You can turn the light off before you take your disc out. Have not actually used it yet, but tested it and it gets one disc to glow nicely.

Home depot orange glows nice, probably could mark a basket with it as well
          That's awesome! I'm gonna use that idea in front of my house for Halloween next year instead of pumpkins! I wonder if you could get a UV black bulb for that light to charge the discs....
          PDGA# 49616
          Stumptown# 353

Comment

Originally posted by jdinteg View Post
            I have a mountain of glow plastic I would really like to use. My last round was frustrating trying to hide the flash light from the other discers to avoid annoying them, charge the disc, throw it with my eyes not dilated, and then looking for a dim disc in the dark. I'm not a fan of the LEDs/Tape even though they seem to do the best job of lighting, I may have to rethink that. The standard white led flashlights I have used are lame and leave the discs very dim. So before I sell all my Glow Champ off and just buy Opto plastic with lights, I decided to pony up for a decent light to charge those glow discs from Newegg, see link below. We'll see how it works..

Just get yourself a UV flashlight...go to ebay and search for scorpion flashlights...your glow plastic will be hot immediately and it doesn't washout your night vision. Use a red filter, or light, for walking about, and enjoy. If you're playing a course you really know, rethink the idea of lighting the baskets; saves time and money...come on you know where they are. When you get close spot them with your red light.
            educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by jdinteg View Post

i think that light should work well
              also you can consider using 3volt uv leds (radioshack $1.99 for 2 pack)attached to a cr2025 watch batt
              it will give off some extra light and help keep the disc charged a little

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                Use a red filter, or light, for walking about, and enjoy. rethink the idea of lighting the baskets; When you get close spot them with your red light.
                i have found that if you use some tail light repair tape on a reg flashlight it makes it nice and red

Comment

I tried those back when I used lights Matt, just not enough power...really folks; if you're using glow plastic spend 20 bucks on a scorpion flash light (that 20 included shipping for mine) and with 40 or so UV bulbs your glow plastic goes to its hot spot right away. Even the newer glow plastics stay hot far beyond what white lights offer...I'm lucky enough to still have the old Photon glow, and once hot I don't have to recharge...if you're going to get serious about glow golfing, and why not during this time of year, shell out the 20 for the right gear...heck I'll wager you spend more than that looking for that holy grail disc.
                  educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                    Just get yourself a UV flashlight...go to ebay and search for scorpion flashlights...your glow plastic will be hot immediately and it doesn't washout your night vision. Use a red filter, or light, for walking about, and enjoy. If you're playing a course you really know, rethink the idea of lighting the baskets; saves time and money...come on you know where they are. When you get close spot them with your red light.
                    That is a uv flashlight (a big 51 led one)

Comment

Jman, I think you quit reading the post, or are skipping around on the thread.
                      the only light that is not uv, is quenyaistars' bucket light.

Also I was suggesting the uv leds as extra light in addition to charging with a uv flashlight.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                        i think that light should work well
                        also you can consider using 3volt uv leds (radioshack $1.99 for 2 pack)attached to a cr2025 watch batt
                        it will give off some extra light and help keep the disc charged a little
                        I'd recommend the misc. 20 pk of LEDs at the Shack, around $3 if I remember correctly. Not all 20 are ideal for glowing, but at least half are just fine and in a variety of colors. Almost overlooked this option when checking out the LED drawers, but its a great deal and you'll have plenty of LEDs for yourself and friends. Dollar stores are the place to get batteries, those pups are awfully expensive at regular retail.
                        Joe Wander
                        Producer and Editor
                        Disc Golf Live video magazine
                        www.discgolflive.com
                        Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time

Comment

Matt, i think that your "glow bag" is the best set up i have ever seen for charging glow discs. very cool.
                          Team HOSER:dancing:
                          Team OLY:cheerleader:
                          Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by Disc Golf Live View Post
                            I'd recommend the misc. 20 pk of LEDs at the Shack, around $3 if I remember correctly. Not all 20 are ideal for glowing, but at least half are just fine and in a variety of colors. Almost overlooked this option when checking out the LED drawers, but its a great deal and you'll have plenty of LEDs for yourself and friends. Dollar stores are the place to get batteries, those pups are awfully expensive at regular retail.
                            radioshack was the only place i could find the uv LEDs locally

i had a hard time finding red (thats the only color i wanted) LEDs that were high enough voltage (and cheap$) to work with the 3v batts
                            but i found some at a local electronics supply store (25 pack)

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                            Matt, i think that your "glow bag" is the best set up i have ever seen for charging glow discs. very cool.
                            thanks, you should come out and play with us

Comment

Just use any regular LEDs (0.7 V drop) with your CR2025 (or any 3V lithium coin cell) batteries. Sure, the voltage is too high, but who cares? They won't burn out. You will just get a bit shorter battery life, which is still like, forever. And they will shine brightly! No need to be an electronics purist and worry about using a limiting resistor.
                              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I should tape a battery, limiting resistor, one way diode, a capacitor, then the LED to the disc (+50g). It will fly like a ROCK instead of a Roc..
                                PDGA# 49616
                                Stumptown# 353

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X