Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a glow driver and approach disc's, do I need a putt disc?

I was thinking I could use a regular putter since you are close the the basket and I assume somebody shines a light on it while you putt.

Comment

Originally posted by quenyaistar View Post

I was thinking I could use a regular putter since you are close the the basket and I assume somebody shines a light on it while you putt.
      For me, a glow round is super casual. There is just too many factors out there for me to worry about my score. So no, you probably don't really need a putter (unless you use it frequently for drives or approaches).

But don't have someone shine a light on the basket. Attach a glow stick to the center chains. Use flashlights as little as possible - they will kill your night vision.

Comment

Originally posted by quenyaistar View Post

The key word was, "excuse" to buy another putter
        I have a glow buzzz --- thats the only disc I need
        Driver, mid, and putter --- all rapped up in one disc

Comment

Been playing glow golf for the past few seasons when it comes to this time of year. Usually get out to Pier Park once or twice a week for a glow round. Like somebody else mentioned the park is actually open until 12:01am (literally says this on the signs) so its legal to play. I have encountered one police car shining a spotlight at me while playing a glow round but I just gave him a wave and he moved on without a second thought. Pier park has its benefits and drawbacks for glow golf though. Drawbacks mainly being the light pollution means it can be hard to spot lit discs on some holes until you're on top of em. This can also be a benefit as I frequently play with people who will just throw an unlit white disc and use the sound of it landing to pinpoint their lie off the tee.

As for the discs I am a big proponent of glow plastic over the taped on lights. The glow plastic is not quite as bright (you may not be able to see it land if you can throw it 350+) as the LEDs but it is, in the end, more reliable. No chance of detaching or turning off, no annoying tape to deal with that doesn't apply properly without dry/room temp discs. No opportunity to lose your favorite daylight drivers. No preparation involved, I just carry the flashlight in the bag and leave a few glowies in the trunk. I've played around 50 glow rounds with my glow discs and haven't lost one yet. One thing someone mentioned to me that they were concerned of was that if you were playing with a large group on a course with blind shots and you absolutely blast one down a fairway while everyone else hits trees. This is about the only time I could see the glow "wearing off" enough that you may not be able to easily spot it within 100'. For reference, I use a 12-LED UV Flashlight I bought from home depot for $12 to light my discs before each throw (about 5 seconds of rotating around the wing of the disc works). The UV light saves your nightvision quite a bit compared to regular white light and really gets the glow plastic goin enough that I have to hold the disc behind my back to get a good look at the fairway before my throw.

Now that the discussion is going, would anyone be in favor of an organized weekly glow round at Pier Park? Perhaps a weekly doubles (as what seems to be popular here in the NW). Being local to the park and a schedule that allows for plenty of evening golf I would be happy to organize this.

Comment

I wish I wasn't so far away
            I would come play
            I still haven't done more than toss in the back yard.

Im still looking for a red light, for navigation around the course.

Comment

Its not red, but they will save your nightvision just the same.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_9imybeiz9y_e

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...tgry=SEARCHALL

The latter can be had at your local home depot without the need for online ordering, while ive heard great things about the former being a quality light.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan_Brian View Post
                Now that the discussion is going, would anyone be in favor of an organized weekly glow round at Pier Park? Perhaps a weekly doubles (as what seems to be popular here in the NW). Being local to the park and a schedule that allows for plenty of evening golf I would be happy to organize this.
                I am not sure how often I would make a weekly event but I'd love to join you for a evening round to check out the nightlife at Pier. I live in St Johns. PM me some time when you have room for 1 more person.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan_Brian View Post

I would play. Pier is great for glow golf. Dollar Tree for glow sticks for the baskets and glow necklaces for the occasional tree here and there. Depending on turnout it could be as little as $1 to $2 a person.

I prefer the LED method. Yet to have a problem using clear duct tape. I use red for all but champion glow plastic, which I use UV LED. Dim but can spot when you get within 20 feet or so.

Now I've got a yearnin' to check my LED and battery supply...

Comment

is there any interest in playing shelton springs in the dark? maybe sat. nights

Comment

i have now got a new bag, so my old crunch box is going to become a glow bag (with uv lights inside)

i have now collected a pretty good selection of glow plastic
                      166 dx valkyrie, 168 ch sidewinder, 168 ch roadrunner, 171 z buzzz, 177 kc roc, and a 176 voodoo

2 uv led flashlights

next i want to get some leds for the discs

also have a pretty big collection of glow sticks for baskets

i am ready to play, anyone else want to play in the dark?

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                        is there any interest in playing shelton springs in the dark? maybe sat. nights
                        or fri, or wed, or.......

Comment

Just for info at Woodmansee in Salem I took my light from backyard setup to a glow round and they seemed to like it a lot. It's an umbrella light from home depot online Its a led light setup that clamps onto top of pole and shines down into basket and surrounding area. called ritelite item LPL1040BX.
                          Just a comment for what it's worth.
                          trying to attach photo, hope it works to show it to you in use.
                          Steve

Comment

I WILL be starting a glow golf night(s) at shelton springs
                            maybe on the 1st Fri. of the month @ 5:30p.m.

I will post when I know the date(s) and start time for sure

I will be asking for a 1-3 dollar donation per person (depending on how many people show up),
                            to help pay for glow stick/basket lighting supplies, as it will all be coming out of my pocket

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                              I WILL be starting a glow golf night(s) at shelton springs
                              maybe on the 1st Fri. of the month @ 5:30p.m.

I will post when I know the date(s) and start time for sure

I will be asking for a 1-3 dollar donation per person (depending on how many people show up),
                              to help pay for glow stick/basket lighting supplies, as it will all be coming out of my pocket
                              it will be: 1st and 3rd Fri. of the month - Dec. thru Feb.
                              we will begin @ 5:30 p.m.

hope to see ya there, matt

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                                I prefer the LED method. Yet to have a problem using clear duct tape. I use red for all but champion glow plastic, which I use UV LED. Dim but can spot when you get within 20 feet or so.

Now I've got a yearnin' to check my LED and battery supply...
                                in preparation for upcoming rounds at shelton springs

i have got a fleet of red and uv leds and cr2025 batts. plus some clear duct tape.

The Glow Bag:

i have a uv light for windshield repairs, which should work great for charging glow discs

so I have my old crunch box set up as a glow bag now (pics to follow)

I have mounted the uv light in the bottom of the bag (using vecro from the old disc divider)

then i got some flexible mirror i could cut up (mirror repair kit from auto dept.)
                                i put it full width on the long sides, and in the lid/top flap.
                                i also used some smaller pieces in the bottom and on the short sides.

this allows the one uv light, to bounce all over the inside of the bag, lighting all the discs very wel

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X