X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Disc Golf Tourney - Advice

So I have been playing disc golf for about 6 months now. I usually get around 4-5 rounds a week in. There is a tournament coming up that I am going to sign up for. Not to beat around the bush, and not asking for any Hard-Earned secrets/preparation, But i just had a question to ask the experienced disc golf powers that be. Are there several pointers that you wish you would have known going into your first tournament?
    Mainly concerned with maybe some/any intricacies that you WISH you would have known about or utilized during your first tournament? And even if you think it is trivial or common sense, please still throw it out there (Pun! lol) as I definitely do not play with enough experiences disc golfers and am a sponge for getting better, adherring to etiquette, and the likes.

Thanks in Advance!
    We Slang To Bang!

Originally posted by BangDEMChains View Post
    So I have been playing disc golf for about 6 months now. I usually get around 4-5 rounds a week in. There is a tournament coming up that I am going to sign up for. Not to beat around the bush, and not asking for any Hard-Earned secrets/preparation, But i just had a question to ask the experienced disc golf powers that be. Are there several pointers that you wish you would have known going into your first tournament?
    Mainly concerned with maybe some/any intricacies that you WISH you would have known about or utilized during your first tournament? And even if you think it is trivial or common sense, please still throw it out there (Pun! lol) as I definitely do not play with enough experiences disc golfers and am a sponge for getting better, adherring to etiquette, and the likes.

Thanks in Advance!
    My suggestions...
    • Read & Know the rules. (http://www.pdga.com/rules) Some folks don't know the rules as well as they think they do.
    • Bring a mini and be prepared to use it.
    • Be prepared to play slightly slower than you might normally.
    • Drink plenty of fluids and snack a bit while you play.
    • First tourney... just use it as a learning experience.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Most important ... Have FUN !!!!!
      PDGA # 52916
      CRDGC
      TCDGC
      FWWDGC
      PDGC

Comment

Check the Tournament Flyer, ask the Tournament Director, what flight you will in and time for Players Meeting/Tee Time. ATTEND the players meeting as there will be a lot tournament specific information to gather. Know your hole assignment, be there on time. Have fun and kick some booty.

Bob

Comment

Extra socks.

Be aware of proper ettiquette.

Tell your card mates it is your first tournament and to let you know if you are doing something that is not accepted practice. People are generally pretty nice about this - we all had a first tournament experience.

Have fun!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the input!
            That is VERY helpful!

... Keep 'em coming!
            We Slang To Bang!

Comment

Thank the TD. I know this has nothing to do with tournament play but the TD in most tournaments makes nothing, puts in a lot of work just for people to go out and play an event and is hardly ever thanked. A sincere thank you will go a long way.

Also, play your game, don't play the game of your cardmates. If you see somebody on your card crush a drive and you know you can't do that, don't try it.

Most important, have fun.
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                Also, play your game, don't play the game of your cardmates. If you see somebody on your card crush a drive and you know you can't do that, don't try it.
                I cannot agree with this more!!!

Play the way you have been practicing. I have had some pretty horrible rounds from when I changed my "strategy" to mimic my cardmates.

Good luck!
                Where are you playing your first Tourney? Maybe there is some course specific advice to throw out there.
                Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

The Tourney will be held at Corbin on the 27th, so just around the corner! And I must say, I am pretty darn pumped! Up until this point, I have yet to play in this kind of organized, established event. I will definitely be brushing up on the rules handbook!
                  We Slang To Bang!

Comment

Your first tournament and my first tournament as a director. Should be interesting :-)
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

All the above advice is fantastic, I'll chime in to add, be prepared to play a lot worse than you might in your casual play (not to say this is a certain result) for a lot of players the big change in pace, the fact that suddenly everyone is closely watching your game and general pressure of being stacked up against other golfers can be a bit jarring. I'm not saying you need to assume you'll play bad, just temper your scoring expectations and focus more on having fun then trying to set any personal records.
                      PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                      dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post

Most important, have fun.
                        Most Importane, Have Fun!!!

I played my first tourney after 2 weeks of throwing. It was totally spur of the moment and fun, but I had no idea what to expect. I ended up playing with a 900 rated player (he let me know it too).

Just play your game, everyone that knows it's your first tourney will be patient (mostly, unless they are used to playing with other 900 rated players).

Just have fun and play your game.

Comment

When it's your turn to take scores it's a good practice to call out the hole at the next tee pad and wait for the other players to give you their scores. You shouldn't ever assume what the other guy got. Make them give it to you. This will just cut out any questions at the end of the round. Have great time.

Comment

To expand on that:

*) Wait until everyone arrives at the next tee pad.
                            *) Call out the hole number that was just played.
                            *) Call out the first player's name. If it is yourself, call out your own name.
                            *) They report the total number (throws and penalties) they had on the hole. If it is yourself, say your score out loud.
                            *) Write that number down, and read it back to group. Even if it is yourself, read that score back out loud just like any other.
                            *) Repeat for each player in the group.
                            *) Call out the new driving order.

Do it the same every time. Be consistent with use of nicknames. For players with the same name, find a clear method to distinguish them, and stick to it. Speak so that everyone in the group can clearly hear you. There is no need to editorialize about the scores as you take them. Coach everyone to report their score by number (2, 3, 4, etc.) not any other method (par, deuce, bogey, etc.).
                            Last edited by TreeLove; October 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM.
                            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I suggest bringing an extra bottle of bloody mary mix (non-pdga event of course). If you get participants from Bellingham and/or Olympia, you will run out quicker than you think. Extra bag of ice would be good too.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X