X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Pan

I have only been playing disc golf for 24 years so I know there's still a lot I can learn about playing and the rules of play. An example of this happened last weekend at the HLWDO. I was standing still 10 feet behind the tee and about 10 feet to the right and the shadow of my head was on the ground about 1 foot past the back end of the tee. I was asked to move because my shadow was causing a distraction. I apologized and stepped back a step.
    So, unless you're Peter Pan you best watch where your shadow rests.
    Last edited by Flatroc; October 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    - Anonymous

Yes, golf has many little weird rules and courtesies doesn't it? I believe this was one of the first things I was taught as a youngster. The following refers to on the green but I guess it would follow that it would be considered courteous anywhere on the course.

".......It is also considered rude to walk in the path of another golfer's putt because it may alter the path of the putt. You should also be aware of your shadow while another golfer is putting. Make sure that you shadow does not fall in the path of a putt because it is distracting."

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
      I have only been playing disc golf for 24 years so I know there's still a lot I can learn about playing and the rules of play. An example of this happened last weekend at the HLWDO. I was standing still 10 feet behind the tee and about 10 feet to the right and the shadow of my head was on the ground about 1 foot past the back end of the tee. I was asked to move because my shadow was causing a distraction. I apologized and stepped back a step.
      And being asked to move bothered you enough that you were moved to post about it several days later.

So the dude found a shadow distracting enough that he asked you to move. Assuming he asked politely, I'm not really seeing the issue.

Comment

you should have just tilted your head to the side! that qualifies as moving doesnt it?? people can be so darn petty, my imediate thinking is "how can my shadow distract you but not the shadows of MOVING tree limbs and other stuff that is actuall ON the tee pad!"
        Team HOSER:dancing:
        Team OLY:cheerleader:
        Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
          Doesn't seem like a rules violation to me, and it's definitely a little nit-picky, but it was nice of you to do it without comment. I always wonder if the distraction and possible group dynamic shifts from such a request don't become a bigger distraction than the original distraction.

Comment

it's not a rule, it's a courtesy. Is it that hard to just be aware of the space you are occupying? It's really not that big of a deal I don't think except in the case of putting. And I will say it is tougher to deal with on the tee the way most disc golf teepad areas are set up. As I mentioned there are many, many rather silly sounding courtesies in golf. If someone asked I certainly would have no problem moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              And being asked to move bothered you enough that you were moved to post about it several days later.

So the dude found a shadow distracting enough that he asked you to move. Assuming he asked politely, I'm not really seeing the issue.
              It's quite possible that the poster found it interesting and thought we'd find it interesting as well...

- Might not be that bothered or venting, just sending along some entertaining conversation.

I could see myself posting something like that. Especially if I wanted to make a great Peter Pan reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Scott i see nothing in the OP that indicates "issue" with the situation, more so relating a story... i mean Peter Pan reference is a no issue kinda guy right??
                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wilt View Post
                  it's not a rule, it's a courtesy. Is it that hard to just be aware of the space you are occupying? It's really not that big of a deal I don't think except in the case of putting. And I will say it is tougher to deal with on the tee the way most disc golf teepad areas are set up. As I mentioned there are many, many rather silly sounding courtesies in golf. If someone asked I certainly would have no problem moving.
                  ummm... i don't have my rulebook handy right now... but i'm pretty sure it is a rule. you can't distract other players on your card... and the player is the one that decides what's distracting... just sayin'...

... also, people should feel free to speak up about anything, no matter how silly it might seem to the other players, if it's distracting them. i find that if i don't speak up about something, because i think that it shouldn't bother me, it ends up totally bothering me and i fluff my drive or shank my putt... i usually preface with, "so, i'm totally a prima donna... haha... can you please... "

and i think matt's onto something interesting, too, about the dynamic of a group affecting distraction factors...
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I think you are in for a long day when you ask someone to move a shadow on the tee.

Comment

bingo!

Originally posted by WestsoundBT View Post
                      It's quite possible that the poster found it interesting and thought we'd find it interesting as well...

- Might not be that bothered or venting, just sending along some entertaining conversation.

I could see myself posting something like that. Especially if I wanted to make a great Peter Pan reference.
                      You nailed it dude!
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Mike G View Post
                        I think you are in for a long day when you ask someone to move a shadow on the tee.
                        Another Bingo!

Comment

Wendy

Originally posted by Mike G View Post
                          Unless Wendy was on the tee.
                          My 'thought' was, if you're looking at the shadow of my head which is not on the pad or the fairway, then you may want to pick a different line to the basket.
                          As was mentioned, these sort of requests may do more harm than good sometimes.
                          Perhaps if we have 'special' courtesy requests we could inform our group before the 2 minute warning.
                          - Anonymous

Comment

You should have made a shadow alligator with your hands. I would laugh, then tell the dude on the tee to pull his pants up like a big boy

Comment