Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever called a fault for this?

So has anybody ever called a foot fault on a line of play related issue? As in the person has come up short on a dog leg and instead of lining up behind their mini facing the target as is stated in the rules, they line up with the fairway instead. Since your lie is technically is either to be directed towards one of two objects (a mando you have not cleared yet or the target itself) it would be a foot fault to line up down the fairway (assuming there is no mando on the hole). Apparently Ulibarri called a foot fault on Geoff Bennet on this during the Eric Yetter which caused all sorts of drama during the final round. I've noticed a lot of players address their lie down the fairway instead of the line to the target but I'd never thought about it until now. I'm interested to see what others think of this and if they've actually ever called a fault for it.

"Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

I actually never thought about this as a fault, until I read the Uli thread on the other forum (the same one you read and got the info from)... I will definitely pay more attention to my own feet now, and will probably, unofficially, inform people of this rule if I see them about to violate it

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
      So has anybody ever called a foot fault on a line of play related issue? As in the person has come up short on a dog leg and instead of lining up behind their mini facing the target as is stated in the rules, they line up with the fairway instead. Since your lie is technically is either to be directed towards one of two objects (a mando you have not cleared yet or the target itself) it would be a foot fault to line up down the fairway (assuming there is no mando on the hole). Apparently Ulibarri called a foot fault on Geoff Bennet on this during the Eric Yetter which caused all sorts of drama during the final round. I've noticed a lot of players address their lie down the fairway instead of the line to the target but I'd never thought about it until now. I'm interested to see what others think of this and if they've actually ever called a fault for it.

According to the rules if it's his first one, he gets to re throw. The only advantage is to get in his opponents head.

Comment

interesting. i think the rule needs to change... if you have to throw down the fairway and it's a dog leg it seems unfair to that you have to throw on the line of play lining up with the target... what if there's shit between you and the target?

... that being said i would never call this on another player...

and i'm curious how ulibarri would have played it.
        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Regardless of fairways etc, the safe (and correct) play is to always draw a line from the basket through the center of your mini, and place your foot directly on that line.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I've always lined my lie up towards the target (regardless of how uncomfortable that is). The issue I have with this is people misinterpreting the rule (or not knowing the rule) and calling a foot fault for lining up properly since it would look like to them you are lining up in front of your lie. I can see it causing a lot of issues and headaches.
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
              Regardless of fairways etc, the safe (and correct) play is to always draw a line from the basket through the center of your mini, and place your foot directly on that line.
              thinking/visualizing on this a little bit more, i suppose it can always be done without screwing up one's ability to throw where they are wanting to go... tricky, tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                Unless there is a mando in play.

Comment

I was always under the impression that as long as a part of your foot comes down on the imaginary line through the center of your disc it wasn't a foot fault.

Comment

You are only required to plant a point of contact on the line of play. That doesn't mean you have to run up and orient your shot along the line of play. I always mark towards the target but I don't necessarily run up towards it. If you end up short of a dogleg you just throw with the mini to the side of your foot instead of infront of it.

Ya'll Dig??!
                    Innova Champion Discs
                    Discmania
                    huk lab
                    Keen Footwear
                    Grip EQ Disc Golf Bags
                    Stimpi Ridge Disc Golf in Spokane, WA
                    Play it Again Sports Corvallis and Eugene

Comment

Totally dig.

Comment

dig it, nate. i'm totally pickin' up what you're layin' down (get it? like layin' down a mini? good one, right?).

that's what i was visualizing and realized this rule is totally doable and doesn't need to change.

Comment

I can dig it

Originally posted by Nate Sexton View Post
                          You are only required to plant a point of contact on the line of play. That doesn't mean you have to run up and orient your shot along the line of play. I always mark towards the target but I don't necessarily run up towards it. If you end up short of a dogleg you just throw with the mini to the side of your foot instead of infront of it.

Ya'll Dig??!
                          So, you throw your mini to the side of your foot?
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Sexton View Post

Ya'll Dig??!
                            Yep, that works as long as your other foot is no closer to the target than the point of contact at you mini, this is where the problem lies.

Interestingly, I watched this exact infraction happen at a final round of the BSF on what is normally Hole 1 on the regulation course. Can't remember the player, but it was lead group and third shot to approach the basket. Had one of the PDGA officials marshalls standing next to me and before he threw I told him to watch as I could tell from the lie that he was going to have what is in effect a foot fault if you use tha basket as reference as opposed to the fairway. Sure enough it happened and no one said a word. I would say this is rarely called but what Ulibarri called would be the correct interpretation of the rule.

But don't be upset when someone does call it. Just because everyone has gotten away with breaking the rule does not mean a player should be vilified for upholding the rules at any time.

Later,
                            Papa
                            Last edited by papatart; September 21st, 2012, 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling---DOH!
                            Team Discraft
                            Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

So, the bottom line is that the line of play rule needs to be modified to include a stipulation that if there is a mando on the hole then the line of play follows the line from the tee to the mando and then from the mando to the basket. That would make practical sense, right?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X