X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handing out bag tags

I have been thinkin about getting a bag tag challenge set up for next year and have been reading into it a little. The one thing I really did not see was a good way to distribute them to the club. First person to pay for the tag gets tag 1 and so on? Randomly draw after paid for? Have each player throw a round and go off sores?

I have not participated in a tag challenge before so was just wondering what others have done or saw that they liked.
    Last edited by NBdiscgolfer; September 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM.
    10/4 5PM START Carnation weekly Random Doubles every Thursday untill we cant see our discs flying anymore. All info in the link http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8788

howdy, when i ran a bag tag challenge i started the season off with a tournament and gave out bag tags according to how people placed (1st=tag 1, 2nd=tag 2, 3rd=tag 3, ect ect).

we had a bag tag tournament each month so we could make sure people got a chance to play for tags and also the monthly tournaments we used to account for all the tags and it was great to see different people walk away with different tags. the tournaments were madatory, and if somebody didnt make it to a tournament they had to give up their tag and take the highest number tag that was availible.

bag tags can be alot of fun, and depending on how a person runs it, it can also be a huge job of keeping things organized.

good luck with yours.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Thanks. This will still be down the line a bit. From what I have been reading it can be alot to take on but sounds like a lot of fun. We have a pretty small crowd up here in Carnation but a good core group of consistant locals. Probably start out with something pretty simple and build from that. I appreciate the advice and thanks again for the input.
      Last edited by NBdiscgolfer; September 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM.
      10/4 5PM START Carnation weekly Random Doubles every Thursday untill we cant see our discs flying anymore. All info in the link http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8788

Comment

Originally posted by NBdiscgolfer View Post
        Thanks. This will still be down the line a bit. From what I have been reading it can be alot to take on but sounds like a lot of fun. We have a pretty small crowd up here in Carnation but a good core group of consistant locals. Probably start out with something pretty simple and build from that. I appreciate the advice and thanks again for the input.
        The bag tag series that Tyvec ran was the most fun I have ever had with bag tags! It was a lot of work for him keeping track of all of our rounds, but it was great for the player. The format was pretty involved, but it was a great way to build club participation and get the locals playing a LOT of golf!
        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Well NBdiscgolfer, here's my 2 cents. I believe you are wondering about initial distribution of tags for the year - correct me if I am wrong. I would say do whatever makes most sense for your club and easiest for everyone. It seems like with my experience with the North Idaho Disc Golf Club that no matter what we try to do to please the masses people are always complaining, you certainly can't satisfy everyone so don't try. We still don't have a perfect system for initial distribution at the start of a season. I's say the biggest thing to remember to remind people is that they are just tags with numbers on them, they are not a status symbol or anything and don't even represent how good of a player you may or may not be. We have way too many players over here getting tied up in tags and it's frustrating to me One big problem we have over here is players sitting on single digit tags for too long and not putting them back in circulation. Good luck with your endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
            Well NBdiscgolfer, here's my 2 cents. I believe you are wondering about initial distribution of tags for the year - correct me if I am wrong. I would say do whatever makes most sense for your club and easiest for everyone. It seems like with my experience with the North Idaho Disc Golf Club that no matter what we try to do to please the masses people are always complaining, you certainly can't satisfy everyone so don't try. We still don't have a perfect system for initial distribution at the start of a season. I's say the biggest thing to remember to remind people is that they are just tags with numbers on them, they are not a status symbol or anything and don't even represent how good of a player you may or may not be. We have way too many players over here getting tied up in tags and it's frustrating to me One big problem we have over here is players sitting on single digit tags for too long and not putting them back in circulation. Good luck with your endeavor.
            Tell me about it, it's amazing how little the top 5 tags show up to league. Pretty much, as soon as they are won, they disappear until the last event of the season (if even then). I think I like the idea of if you don't have a valid reason for not showing up to league and you have a high tag, you forfeit it and take the highest tag at the next league. It may drum up support for people to come play. As for distribution, good luck, I can't think of one good way to get them out into the hands of people.
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Yes Scott I am trying to figure out the initial distribution for the tags. I can see how this can be tricky to get started, especially with larger groups. Thanks for the info. Still a lots of time and people to talk to get this all going. Im sure we will figure something out. Im thinking bag tag stuffed pinata should do the trick

Comment

initial distrabution isnt all that tricky, just hold a one round "tournament" of sorts so that you can fairly distribute the tags according to skill level, or whoever has the best day and the least amount of hangover!

it brings all the players together so that they can see who everybody is that is participating, and gives some feelings of comroderie to the people involved also.

its really simple, especially if there is no money or prizes to be awarded.
                this is by far the easiest and fairest way to get the tags into the players hands all at the same time.
                Team Meteor

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                  initial distrabution isnt all that tricky, just hold a one round "tournament" of sorts so that you can fairly distribute the tags according to skill level, or whoever has the best day and the least amount of hangover!

it brings all the players together so that they can see who everybody is that is participating, and gives some feelings of comroderie to the people involved also.

its really simple, especially if there is no money or prizes to be awarded.
                  this is by far the easiest and fairest way to get the tags into the players hands all at the same time.
                  That does sound like the way to do it and give an excuse to play atleast a few club tournys through the year and I like that. Also as I said before I feel due to our location we will be starting out as a smaller group I am sure. Probably a good thing since I am new to all of this.

TYVEK, One more quick question for you since you seem to have a good grasp on the topic. Do clubs usually have a cut of date for joining to be a member each year? I was thinking this might be a good idea atleast for the first real go at this. I know more members can generate more money to the club and all that and that is great. To me it just seems like things will get complicated if new people are joining randomly through the year. On the other hand we do not want to appear as a club that is turning players away... hmmm well the battle already begins ha

Comment

[QUOTE=TYVEK;126367]howdy, when i ran a bag tag challenge i started the season off with a tournament and gave out bag tags according to how people placed (1st=tag 1, 2nd=tag 2, 3rd=tag 3, ect ect).

I've never participated in a bag tag, so no first hand experience. If part of the point is to get everyone to know/play each other better, would random assignment of tags make that happen more than the lowest tags immeadiately starting in the hands of better {that day} players? then the more motivated players seeking out the low tags as the season moves on?
                    I have always wondered about this process
                    "good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

I will try to answer both inquiries in this post.

to NBdiscgolfer: Well our bag tag series was tied into club membership as well, but you dont have to if you dont want. bag tags could be for a general region and not affiliated with a certian club. it does help the local club if you have them connected though. i allowed people to join in the bag tag series at any time, but i made sure they knew that their chances of cashing out at the end of the season would be a lot lower than somebody that started at the begining of the season.
                      If your bag tags are ran for fun only, then it really shouldnt matter about having people join in at random times. ours was ran with points system and with cash payout at the end of the season so it made a difference. no matter what, never turn somebody away from club membership with or without bag tags.

to pdxdiscer: the way our bag tags were run was on a points system, so the person with the most points at the end of the season takes home the final cash payout. it grew to be a pretty hefty amount so that provided most people with enough motivation to keep playing challenges and seeking out the lower tags.

also there were some rules in place to make sure that people were out there playing challenges and not hiding away with the sacred tag. for instance the main rule for this was that all bag tag holders must play a minimum of 2 challenges per month not including the monthly bag tag tournament. that did a really good job of keeping the tags circulating between all the people.

i hope that these answered both of your questions,

the first and formost rule on our rules page was HAVE FUN! that is what it was all about.
                      Team Meteor

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                        I will try to answer both inquiries in this post.

to NBdiscgolfer: Well our bag tag series was tied into club membership as well, but you dont have to if you dont want. bag tags could be for a general region and not affiliated with a certian club. it does help the local club if you have them connected though. i allowed people to join in the bag tag series at any time, but i made sure they knew that their chances of cashing out at the end of the season would be a lot lower than somebody that started at the begining of the season.
                        If your bag tags are ran for fun only, then it really shouldnt matter about having people join in at random times. ours was ran with points system and with cash payout at the end of the season so it made a difference. no matter what, never turn somebody away from club membership with or without bag tags.

to pdxdiscer: the way our bag tags were run was on a points system, so the person with the most points at the end of the season takes home the final cash payout. it grew to be a pretty hefty amount so that provided most people with enough motivation to keep playing challenges and seeking out the lower tags.

also there were some rules in place to make sure that people were out there playing challenges and not hiding away with the sacred tag. for instance the main rule for this was that all bag tag holders must play a minimum of 2 challenges per month not including the monthly bag tag tournament. that did a really good job of keeping the tags circulating between all the people.

i hope that these answered both of your questions,

the first and formost rule on our rules page was HAVE FUN! that is what it was all about.

I have helped with the weekly DGOD bag tags at Lunchtime in Portland on Mondays. Lots of fun, can easily get confusing to keep before tags and after tags correct. My 2-cents See attached PDF, change it to work for you.
                        PDGA# 49616
                        Stumptown# 353
                        OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

NIDGC bag tags

The way we are running our bag tags for the North Idaho Disc Golf Club is 1) you need to join the Club to be eligible for a bag tag; 2) at the beginning of the season, at the first weekly league event when the tags are available, the lowest tags are distributed to eligible members based upon their scores for that round; 3) as new members join the Club throughout the season, they can get the next available bag tag with their membership, and then play for a lower tag at the next weekly league event; 4) we don't try to track who has what tag, since players challenge each other in casual rounds throughout the week as well as at the weekly league event.
                          We have players list their starting tag # on their scorecards at league, and then use that info to help with the distribution after the round: if 2 or more players have the same score, the one with the highest starting tag # takes the next highest tag # as they are redistributed. I could email you a copy of the scoring tally sheet that we use, to show you the process if you'd like. pm me if you'd like that. We actually have implemented this year a dual tag system - scratch or handicap tags (or both if desired). It does complicate the process and requires the use of a spreadsheet to update scores and handicaps each week, but it adds an accessible "prize" for the less accomplished players. Just another way to make the competition more fun for all. I'd be willing to share that spreadsheet with you as well.

Comment

The way the DeLa club does it in Santa Cruz is they distribute tag 25 and up at the first weekly bag tag match. Points are earned according to their score at the weekly bag tag match and at the end of the year tags 1-25 are awarded.

Comment

Thanks everyone for shedding some light on this for me. Still have a bunch of stuff to figure out but got a good general direction. This will be something going into effect next spring so giving myself and the others interested time to figure out what will work best for our situation.
                              Thanks again!
                              Happy Disc'n

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X