X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etiquette change over time

After about a 2-3 year hiatus, I've been golfing again a lot for the last month or two. It's great to be playing again.

I've been playing at Pier a lot, and I keep finding myself behind people who are taking tons of extra throws. Frequently emptying their bags on puts and approaches. They don't seem like beginners, either. Which is to say I expect them to know better. They can clearly see me waiting for them at the tee pad at every hole. Sometimes I get a chance to play through. Usually I just end up skipping a couple holes to pass.

I don't remember it being such a consistent problem when I used to play. Have you guys found it's getting worse? Is DG growing to the point that there are a lot of newer players who don't grasp basic course etiquette? Is it the same as it's always been, and it's all in my head? I'd be interested to hear thoughts.

There are alot more people playing who dont know of etiquiette, but like you said, players should know better. I would say to you ,yell fore and throw on them if you see them throwing numberous upshots or whatnot. At a place that sees as much action as pier park you cant expect to play a round by yourself and not come up on groups. absorb into a small group and remember to not be "that guy". Lead by example. Welcome back, buy a King!

Comment

There is another part of disc golf etiquette that has been sorely lacking as of late. Twice I have left a putter on the 18th hole of canyon with a name and a number on it. Do you think someone could turn it in on the way out. NO, they put it in their bag and take it home. That is not what I was taught to do with found discs!

Comment

Sorry, but the two statements, "Yell fore and throw on them" and "Lead by example", contradict one another.
        Basket thieves

Comment

Yes.
          Lately there have been people throwing multiple shots on a lot of courses! Not just at Pier.

Yes.
          Etiquette is lacking. By many golfers.

Comment

I think the proper way to let someone know they are taking too much time finishing a hole is to yell, "coming in on hole ___!".

Sometimes people do not realized there is someone behind them and just stand around the basket and talk about whatever even after they have all put thier last putt in. Please do your after action reviews somewhere else.

And of course, you should never throw on anyone........no matter what.
            WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Wait a minute, it's not appropriate behavior to empty your bag on every hole while smoking and drinking and littering? Man I was taught incorrectly.

Seriously though, I severely dislike people that act like each hole is their's and nobody else's. I cannot tell you how many times I've been stuck behind a group of people that obviously threw 10 plus discs on a 200 foot hole going for the ace. When you walk up to the hole, they all grab their bags and scurry away to retrieve their many failed attempts, never letting you throw through because they don't want to wait on you.

Some people's children...
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Funny i read this yesterday and was thinking to myself, "I'm glad i havnt run into this lately," didnt take long for me to eat my words" was thinking about this thread as I was out there today haha

Comment

Well, what ever you do don't talk to them about it.

I'm never afraid to teach or remind other players about common courtesy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmonty View Post
                    Sorry, but the two statements, "Yell fore and throw on them" and "Lead by example", contradict one another.
                    thank you for the analysis. No they dont contradict. If you are confused then you missed the point. Your trivial retort is the confusion. Stick to the subject. I will forward all of my posts to you for any more continuity analysis.

Comment

The second mistake here is made by the players who say nothing...be nice, but if groups don't address the issue immediately you validate their misunderstanding of course etiquette...making the argument here, while relevant, solves little. One of the biggest challenges here is that so many people don't want to spark an incident...have we lost all our social skills to converse and resolve misunderstanding, we'd rather view then condemn? Be the change my brothers and sisters, if not you...then who?
                      'J'
                      educate your thinking

Comment

This may seem like a side diversion to the topic, but it ends up coming back close to some of the main dilemas for finding solutions in situations like these.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/j...ate-slow-play/

Yeah, its an article about a ball golf course. Article about slow play at Gold Mountain in Bremerton (city course). It is a really interesting read if you read between the lines and apply it to what you know about people. (mind you, it not what you know about yourself, but what you know about "people")

The article includes all that has been done in an attempt to lessen effects of slow play (which can be, and is, an ettiquete issue). They lay out how marshalls have tried to help, and how that sometimes works and sometimes backfires. It shares how some groups welcome help by outsiders, and some fly off the handle when approached. It really lays out a "can't win" situation no matter how you try to "fix it".

Then... go through and read the crazy comments that FULLY substantiate the diversity of responses people have to those experiences. Then think... how would I try to fix it? or just come away shaking your head and shrugging shoulders.

Then think of the parallels to our sports etiquette issues.

Comment

Originally posted by guitodd View Post
                          thank you for the analysis. No they dont contradict. If you are confused then you missed the point. Your trivial retort is the confusion. Stick to the subject. I will forward all of my posts to you for any more continuity analysis.
                          We all get frustrated when newbs are throwing multiple discs on holes while traffic is backing up behind them. Throwing on them is not the solution. Explaining etiquette to them is (in the long run).
                          "Yell fore and throw on them" and "Lead by example" were your words, not mine. If you truly want to lead by example, throwing on them is exactly what NOT to do. Unless you enjoy being thrown on, I guess. Sorry you got butt-hurt.
                          Basket thieves

Comment

"Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Haha

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X