Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Amateur course, if you are under 935 play MA2 seriously even if your 934, if you are over 935 play like your rated 980!!

Mostly playing the short or middle placement on holes, average hole length in my opinion is about 325. The first 3 holes are open, 4-8 are wooded and require decent aim a little luck and about a 325 foot pull. You will either need a decent forearm throw or a good anny throw. Several of the holes have baskets placed near water, a little creek that you won't lose plastic in, and have no grass instead they have super hard packed dirt so skips are always a concern. The extra holes in the poison oak side are mostly a joke, real short holes throwing down skinny fairways protected by poison oak bushes.

Majority of local players only play at this course and most of them only play this course for tournaments. The local advantage is huge on this course and you will need to put up solid -8 rounds to have a chance at the win. Look at past scores for this tournament to get an idea. It is mostly an unchanged layout for the last 6 years. The course can be fun to play but there is a serious lackadaisical approach to the rules. Most locals do not use them or ignore them at their convenience. Beer and pot will be an issue during the event so either put your blinders on or don't play. The TD owns the pro shop on the course and I have never seen even one mention of no drugs or alcohol during the players meeting. I believe they use tee times for the amateur weekend.

I have played the event twice and both times mostly had fun, but I would probably never play it again. Rocklin is a fun course to play at though and sees less traffic compared to Orangevale.
    PDGA #25296
    Stumptown #34

Comment

flash, it sounds like u live here.. heh, that is correct on most of what flash said, however, the 325 pull with luck is probably more like 250 heh. They have added a few pin placements in the past year i believe. I live closer to rocklin and rocklin is better for traffic than orangevale and has more longer shots.
      I'll videotape it since several people want to see rocklin and orangevale...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
        flash, it sounds like u live here.. heh, that is correct on most of what flash said, however, the 325 pull with luck is probably more like 250 heh. They have added a few pin placements in the past year i believe. I live closer to rocklin and rocklin is better for traffic than orangevale and has more longer shots.
        I'll videotape it since several people want to see rocklin and orangevale...

Rocklin is a fun course. I had a chance to play it in November and am looking forward to playing it again the next time I make it down to Sac town in the next couple of months. I might try to incorporate a trip with the AMs tournament, but will have to see if that works out. I have friends that are about 10-15 minutes from there. It reminded me a little bit of a scaled down Milo as far as terrain goes. It was a little busy the day I was out there, but mostly because they had a Saturday dubs tournament going as I was finishing up.
        Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
        PDGA #37890
        Stumptown #157
        ODW TDG 10-11
        3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

My tickets are booked and I will be signing up for the AMS weekend on Friday. Can't wait to see how a tournament outside of Portland is run.
          PDGA #37890
          Stumptown #157
          ODW TDG 10-11
          3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

awesome, see ya there... ummm, one thing I do know is that around these parts, they dont use the scorecard holder from pdga that we use in the ORS so it is a little different for score posting but other than that, i have no idea what to expect from a bigger tournament down here..

Comment

You're right, they don't use a leaderboard, so good luck finding your starting hole #, position in the tournament, groupmates, etc.
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Hey Snap - looks like I'm going to Walla Walla! Thanks ofr the offer though!
                Team DISCRAFT
                NW Sign Up
                Gorilla Boy
                Paragon Disc Golf
                Odwalla

Comment

Well from the e-mail I got from them, there should only be about 180 people. I should have no problem at all, lol! I was looking at last years results to get an idea of the ever strong MA3 group and the winner shot 22 strokes above #2 and would have taken 7th and intermediate. Now that might be a topic for the sandbagging thread if ever I saw one. Looking forward to fun weekend in Sac Town tho.
                  PDGA #37890
                  Stumptown #157
                  ODW TDG 10-11
                  3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

this offer still stands for both am and open weekends...

Comment

2 oregonians have taken up on the offer for AMS weekend, can accomodate more if neccesary... Pro weekend anyone? I know how expensive it can be for hotel etc....

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlE_s_zOxXw enjoy as usual... Didn't get any video of the extra 9 holes but it was all short and technical. Can't wait to watch pros next weekend..

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                          2 oregonians have taken up on the offer for AMS weekend, can accomodate more if neccesary... Pro weekend anyone? I know how expensive it can be for hotel etc....
                          I can only WISH....

30+ PRO MASTERS reg'd.......DOH!

Comment

So for those that played in the AM tourney what did you think?

I don't remember everyone who said they were going but it sounded like 5-6 Oregonians!

Oh yeah how did you like my prediction for the winner for the average round rating?
                            Last edited by Flash; March 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM.
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

To answer Flash, if I were a little better on understanding my teeshot technique, could have parked an average of 5-10 more holes per round. The x9 holes were all easy 2's cept for maybe 2-3 that were do or die 230 footers. The pros are using a 22 hole format so i have no idea which x4 they are using, I am hoping they use the D hole, that was brutal, OB right, OB left, trees everywhere, ironically I birdied that 3rd round whew. If the layout stays the same for Pro weekend, I would expect the leader to be in the -14 to -18 area...
                              P.S. Don't tell anyone but the "norcal" method of paying out for tournament aces, SUCKS! Period!
                              They lined up the 3 guys who aced holes during the tournament during awards, announced which hole they aced and then everyone paid who they thought was deserving $1-$5. So the guy who aced the "apparently" easier hole got maybe $20-$30, and the one who aced an island hole which is gutsy got maybe $60 at best. Screw that man, if you ace during a supertour, I would think an easy $100 or something, didn't ORS payout $1200 last year... pfflltt.. I'm glad I didn't ace, $30 bucks are you kidding me. ANYways that just a small part of the game.
                              For those coming down for pro weekend, please, eat in and out once before you go back home heh. The two guys who stayed here for the weekend actually enjoyed the Rocklin Disc Golf Course, maybe better than Orangevale?
                              As you can see from my video, you dont need any drivers for long distance, maybe for wind and strong hyzers etc... back to work..

Comment

wow, just watched my own video on youtube, gosh they really degrade the quality. On my laptop before all the editing and exporting, I can see every basket crystal clear even through the trees like on holes 5 and 7, in the video you can't even see them... booo... but you all get the idea though. At least now we know what the course looks like...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X