Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work parties

THIS IS FOR THE PLAYERS IN AND AROUND FT. STEILACOOM DISC GOLF COURSE
    Why do you not show for work parties? We have a new 18 hole course going in and making improvements to the park and NO ONE, WAIT WAS THERE ANYONE, I MEAN NO ONE SHOWED TO HELP. W.T.F
    I posted it months and weeks before. Sent out texts to everyone in my phone, we even have written off players community work hours and they did not show. Earlier this summer We rented tools for players to use and they just sat there all weekend cost the club $300 and they did not get used. Looks like we are just wasting money and time to say the course is player maintained.
    Maybe I will stop doing so much and just see how tall the grass will get next year because the riding mower I bought to use at the course (that i do not charge the club to use) will not be at the course next year. Someone else can waste there time working while everyone else plays golf and having fun. Have to say that the guy playing this morning thought it was weird that no one showed and then got in his car and left without helping THANKS
    Get off your ass and go help at a work party this month

I'm sorry to read about your frustration. In Portland I am constantly impressed with how many people care enough to show up and work their tails off to help, we truly have an amazing community of DG'rs in Portland. But I have met several Pros and 1000+ players who prefer to complain over work too. I had an opportunity the opening day of Blue Lake on my 2nd round to play with someone I had always respected from afar, but when I listened to him rant about the course, and I did not see him at any of the work parties to help, I lost a ton of respect for him. I personally struggle with telling people what I think in a very confrontational way, my biggest weakness by far. May I ask, have you considered maybe a different approach? Your posts seem angry, and I'm curious if that could be the reason for people not showing up?

Sympathetic Work party'r
    PDGA# 49616
    Stumptown# 353
    OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I think the OP probably didn't get angry until after no one showed, and I don't blame him. I think many DG'rs are of the "entitlement" mentality, and many are just plain lazy, and want the rewards without the work. And I agree that these are the first people to complain.

In my experience, there is a small core group that consistently show for WPs, usually the same 6 or 7 people.And, many times it's the older players. Most of the young guys don't give a shit. They don't realize that they are the future of the sport.

I don't know the easy solution, but I do know players need to change their attitude and start getting involved. The more people that show, the faster and easier the job is.
      Basket thieves

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmonty View Post
        I think the OP probably didn't get angry until after no one showed, and I don't blame him. I think many DG'rs are of the "entitlement" mentality, and many are just plain lazy, and want the rewards without the work. And I agree that these are the first people to complain.

In my experience, there is a small core group that consistently show for WPs, usually the same 6 or 7 people.And, many times it's the older players. Most of the young guys don't give a shit. They don't realize that they are the future of the sport.

I don't know the easy solution, but I do know players need to change their attitude and start getting involved. The more people that show, the faster and easier the job is.
        Makes sense, well said. It is true the same people seem to show up at each work party. I wonder what will motivate more people to help?
        PDGA# 49616
        Stumptown# 353
        OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

If his post sounds angry its because it is. Ive been to a few of these steilly work partys over the last few years and when anyone shows up, its the same 5-7 guys. All those guys are working class family men who play in tournaments. I think very few are under the age of 30,if any. Whats even more frustrating is the comments leading up to and after work parties." When they gonna cut this or move that, blah ,blah"," why'd they do that , why didnt they finish those,blah,blah". These comment seem to come from the below 30 age group who have no jobs, live off of someone else, and play golf all day. If we had work parties on wednsday around noon we might get some of those guys to help.
          Those 5 guys who usually show up have other things to do im sure on a weekend in summer. Especially with the recent weather. And early in the morning on a saturday arent gonna get the 20 somethings out of bed just out of habit. The course is in great shape right now and is in very playable condition. You cant really expect anyone was really gonna show up without a prior commitment. If you want to get these projects done you will need to get these 5 guys to all commit to a day. Not commit to YOUR day. i think on days that you have acepots would be more successful in getting those who just show up to take the course and club for granted to pitch in.
          I am personally frustrated with the sense of entitlement that I witness conserning disc golf. Alot of these people dont realize how much is done by very few people to make the sport exist around here. I agree that you should just do nothing for as long as it takes until people want to put there money where there mouth is and participate. If the course goes away as a result then it goes away. The world is a golf course. Maybe put up a sign up for workparties and require there to be 10 legitimate people to commit before spending a cent on euipment.
          Using the excuse that someone may not like the tone taken to get help is just that ,an excuse. If you dont like mark and love discgolf than ask what can be done and do it yourself. Thats what he has done. And hes frustrated with it. There are probably many Mark haters out there (probably some even justified) but I have yet in 16 years seen anyone more dedicated to the sport than he. Ive been telling mark for a few years now to step back and do nothing and see who steps up. Maybe that should be the "new approach". Coddling and hugs could work too but I dont want marks sweaty body touching me.

Comment