Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the fun! Dalaiwood is done....

Well, I can't believe I am writing this but it is true, the Dalaiwood Disc Golf Course will be closing at the end of the day on Sunday, July 8th. This afternoon we were visited by the Kitsap County code compliance inspector. He informed us that while we may have been just trying to do a good thing for the community, we were in fact violating numerous codes and land use regulations. Basically, how we were using our property was less like a private residence and much more like a public park, and that is not what our land is specified as. While he did offer that we may be able to have our land become code compliant in our county, it would take thousands of dollars in licenses and fees and countless hours of bureaucratic red tape, and that would not even guarantee that is would happen (as they would even have to do an environmental impact study).

So in short, we are (a) not independently rich and (b) with three kids that are four and under and another due in September, time is a very valuable commodity to us right now. Bottom line, to avoid fines for keeping the course and pro shop open, we are going to be closing both the course and the pro shop at the end of the weekend.

So if you have played out here before, we are glad you had a chance to come out and we hope you had fun. If you haven't played here before and can come out by Sunday, please try to because we can not guarantee that you will ever have another chance to play the first course across the bridge and the start of "West Sound" disc golf.

Thank you to everyone who has come out and played our beloved course. Thank you to everyone who left and turned someone else on to the sport that we love and that we just wanted to help grow. Thank you to all the participants in the Dalaiwood Opens, eight crazy years of Howliewoods, and of course, the Ace Race that you all helped make the largest Ace Race IN THE WORLD for the last five years. And most importantly...

Thank you for being disc golfers, like us. While our course may be closing, we will never lose the love of the flight of the disc and the sound of the chains. As always, we'll see you out on the course, just not ours.

Jeanne and Scott Papa
    Team Discraft
    Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

So sorry to hear this but thanks for everything Scott and Jeanne!
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

i actually had to grab a beer so i had something to cry in. this is by far my worst day as a disc golfer. THANK YOU for every thing you two have done. and also THANK YOU for the WALKING TACO's

Comment

This is sad news. I remember getting my 2nd ace on 3a with a FLX Challenger. It was a gem to play, I am fortunate enough to get that opportunity. THANK YOU PAPA'S.
        "Remember boys this ain't therapy"-Jub.
        PDGA # 42821
        Push-ups owed to: thebakedone 1,856.

Comment

Thank You Jeanne and Scott! What you have done for disc golf in this area has been awesome! Cheers!

Comment

Thank you for the awesome course. Thank you for allowing all of us disc golfers a place to practice our beloved sport. Thank you for all the hours of dedication you put into making sure everyone had a good time. Thank you a thousand times over. The one time I played the course I was just becoming addicted. It's sad I haven't been able to make the trip back since I've become a full blown disc golf addict.

Perhaps all of us who have enjoyed the area can rally up a "Save Dalaiwood!" Fund. I for one would donate.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/j...for-beginners/
            The newspaper article that was in Sunday's paper.
            Last edited by General Scales; July 3rd, 2012, 10:21 PM. Reason: Newspaper Article
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Can we all still come through Sunday and spend our local dollars in a wave of gratitude?

Maybe we can all stock up on christmas gifts for the years to come and give the Papa's a small windfall.

Comment

This is a sad day....I'm from Salem and I've had 2 friends both say this is a must play course. Sad that I won't get the chance...

Comment

being a former Olalla resident, this has been on my to do list

Comment

This seems like something the county would not just up and pursue on their own. There must be more to it. I am thinking a disgruntled neighbor, perhaps? I can understand land use laws prohibiting you from strip mining your property, or building a toxic waste dump, but a disc golf course? Come on, that's absurd. I sure am sorry to hear it, regardless. I hope it can be worked out some day. I greatly appreciate Dalaiwood, and everything the Papas have done for disc golf and the community.
                    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                      This seems like something the county would not just up and pursue on their own. There must be more to it. I am thinking a disgruntled neighbor, perhaps? I can understand land use laws prohibiting you from strip mining your property, or building a toxic waste dump, but a disc golf course? Come on, that's absurd. I sure am sorry to hear it, regardless. I hope it can be worked out some day. I greatly appreciate Dalaiwood, and everything the Papas have done for disc golf and the community.
                      This could be true. I know Scott has been getting frustrated of late with the increase in disrespect by some showing up to play. Vandalism, cans and trash tossed into bushes, cigarette butts, and fences being knocked down (which may have led to neighbor complaints).Regardless of what the County has done, Scott was seriously considering closing the course down anyway, in part because of the douchebaggery, but also to just get a measure of their privacy back.
                      Basket thieves

Comment

Hey there, a quick update for the course this weekend. To optimize playing potential we will be moving the pins a bunch to give everyone possible a chance to play both courses or at least the one they liked the best. Here is the schedule:

Thursday-B pins all day
                        Friday- A pins all day
                        Saturday-A pins 8AM to 2PM, B pins 2PM to 8PM
                        Sunday- B pins 8AM to 2PM, A pins 2PM to 8PM

Also, we will have the pro shop open as much as possible instead of our normal hours-this will include Sunday. So come on out, have a blast and play as much as you can. Live these words, "Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die." Well, the course is dying so get it while you can. Later!

Scott Papa
                        Team Discraft
                        Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

Any tasty discs lying around in that Pro Shop? Like perhaps some ESP Venoms or Z Banger GT's? Even a few ESP Bangers would be appreciated.

Originally posted by papatart View Post
                          Hey there, a quick update for the course this weekend. To optimize playing potential we will be moving the pins a bunch to give everyone possible a chance to play both courses or at least the one they liked the best. Here is the schedule:

Thursday-B pins all day
                          Friday- A pins all day
                          Saturday-A pins 8AM to 2PM, B pins 2PM to 8PM
                          Sunday- B pins 8AM to 2PM, A pins 2PM to 8PM

Also, we will have the pro shop open as much as possible instead of our normal hours-this will include Sunday. So come on out, have a blast and play as much as you can. Live these words, "Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die." Well, the course is dying so get it while you can. Later!

Scott Papa
                          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                          Cleveland Brown

Comment

Damn... I was looking forward to playing here someday. Sorry that I won't get the chance but more sorry for the number of locals who will lose out on a regular destination... and for the Papas for their loss.

I wonder, though... what would prevent you from having tournaments on your property and leaving the course up for you and your invited friends to play?
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

This makes me very sad, I've been attending the Ace Race there since 2006 and have always enjoyed the company of Scott and Jeanne, two of the truly nicest people in the community who have always been very selfless in what they do. A big thank you to both of you for the many events and good times I've had at your course and playing in your tournaments.

Thomas Little
                              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X