X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to Par

After reading the Personal Best thread it got me to wondering. I haven't even come close to shooting par on any full size course. That's after a bit over a year and half. How long did it take YOU to shoot par or close to it? I'll probably feel less than adequate as a man after reading responses.

Bob

Define "Full size course". I think I have shot par at Cascades Gateway, and I consider it "full size"... I had been playing about 7 or 8 years when it was installed.

Also, define "par". You mean par 3 on every hole? Certainly that is not realistic at say, Milo, or Seatac. So your question is hard to answer. Once when I shot 63 at Seatac it felt like I had shot par to me!
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
      Define "Full size course". I think I have shot par at Cascades Gateway, and I consider it "full size"... I had been playing about 7 or 8 years when it was installed.
      Full size not being like Hornings short 18, or like an Orchard 9 hole, or Greenway. Timber? Pier? Milo? Cascade Gateway?

Bob

Comment

After reading the Personal Best thread it got me to wondering. I haven't even come close to shooting par on any full size course. That's after a bit over a year and half. How long did it take YOU to shoot par or close to it? I'll probably feel less than adequate as a man after reading responses.

Bob
        I've been playing for over 4 years. Pier was the only course I played for the first two years and +8 is my best out there. Stupid trees...

One of these days I might get better. If not then oh well, at least I'm having fun.

Comment

Even living on a course, it took me several years to do it. Now I do it once in a while. My best round ever had a double bogie in it.

I like to keep track of my "fantasy round," where I combine my best scores on every hole. That's now -15 for the basic 18. There're a couple holes I've only birdied once in 7 years and three I've yet to deuce. So, the par rounds are about putting the good hole scores together.

I went to Skyline today and tossed a +1. That's a course I should par unless it's too windy.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

hmmm... first time i shot even or better at dexter??? it took me a while but i remember the day. i believe it was a wednesday, about 2 pm... the wind was s, sw at 5 mph, i had just got done smoking a huge bowl with my friend sam when... oh shit that was today...

jk... i wouldn't do that. it took me a few years until i was able to shoot under at the dex. shit, even these days Par can seem like somewhat of a task...
            -7 down the other day though. set my PR! (course is set up eaaaasy right now)
            Last edited by Dr. Zaius; February 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM.
            May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

If we're talking course par, it took me about 5 years of playing disc golf before I shot par at Milo.

Comment

First day. Went out there and started birdying things I haven't birdied since. Weird...

Seriously, though... it was probably about 6 months before I got par at Champoeg (best is -8). Maybe a month later par at Timber (best is -7). I have only come close to par at Milo a couple of times but never quite got there. +1-3 (vs. course par) are my best out there. I think Dabney took me the longest as the bottom half always seemed to chew up the good scores from the top half. I think the first time I went under there was against Pinkal for a bag-tag match.
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

well... that is a good question, i played for like 2 years, 50-60 holes everyday during the summer. But it was with another buddy who was the same level skill as me, maybe 800-850 if ya wanted to put a rating to it. Then in 2007, i spent like 2 hours a day studying articles on technique and played with some players that were rated 930-970 and transformed my game immediately jumping up to 880-900 in 2 months. The key to improving faster is the studying of the game and the techniques. The willingness to abandon former grips or discs and try new grips and discs is what helped me alot. Putting is crucial, just being able to hit those 3-5 extra putts that you wouldnt before takes 3-5 strokes off your game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    I think Dabney took me the longest as the bottom half always seemed to chew up the good scores from the top half.
                    Funny... I've done as well as -3 on Dabney's back nine, but by the time I get down there I'm never keeping track of my score because I f'ed up the front nine so badly.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I've been playing for a little over two years now, and have just gotten close to even for the course (hit +2 (56) to +3 (57) a few times now at Riverside in Sumner). But, it took me getting out 2 times a week for the past 8 months, and consistently going to the same course to do that. I'm really confident with my shots and lines at Riverside now (and am usually anywhere from +2 (56) to +5 (59) over there), but find that when I go to a course I haven't played all that often, or one I haven't been on in a long time, like Trojan, or the Mud, that my scores are much, MUCH, worse. I hear a lot of people on here talking about muscle memory, but I think there is also something to be said for "course memory".

I'm glad you started this thread OTH Bob--it has been good for me as well to see others' progression, and how long it has taken them to get to the "even" point. And it is also great for me to hear about the highs, mediums, and lows, rather than just that one great round, birdie, or ace shot; it keeps my confidence high.
                      TROJAN NATION #22: Sweet Baby Jesus and the Orphans

Comment

i ALSO STARTED PLAYING AT rIVERSIDE AND IT TOOK ME ALMOST 2 YEARS TO SHOOT EVEN ON THE RED COURSE. i WAS VERY LUCKY TO HAVE A LOCAL PRO TO SHOW ME HOW TO THROW ALSO BUT IT SHOULD TAKE ABOUT 2-3 YEARS ON A MID TO LOW LEVEL COURSE. BY MID TO LOW i WOULD SAY A 1000 RATED PLATER (SCRATCH GOLFER) AIMS TO SHOOT ABOUT 8-10 DOWN CONSISTANTLY.
                        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

My one trip to Dabney was two rounds. The back nine saved me from the damage I did myself on the front nine. No, I didn't par, but I was happy.

This is a good thread for lovers of this game of self improvement.
                          Last edited by Ol' Bob; February 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X