X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc golf rap or general conversation?

My question is, does this topic really pertain to disc golf anymore?
    FWIW, I think Matt does a darn fine job at moderating.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
      On the other hand, I don't think having a Work Party subforum makes any sense. Are there people that browse that forum and attend work parties around the region? It makes a lot more sense to me to tie those topics to the organizing club or the course where the work party is to be held.
      Great point. Matt B did say, however, that it could (and should) have been put in its own regional forum, but in this case he offered SDGA, which would not apply here, (see next point)

Yoduh, I think that you should ask a site administrator to create both a Camp Sekani forum and a Disc Golf Uprising forum, and that will help you organize stuff like this without thread movement.
      Yes this should have been done some time ago.... then this problem SHOULD not have arisen.

As for tournaments, those are often regionally important so I think a Tournament forum makes a lot of sense, at least for B tiers and above. I think that moderators should overlook double postings for tournaments if they are in the forum for the correct course or club, however, or maybe just lock one and link to the other.
      Very good point.

Either way, glad your work party turned out a success even with very few volunteers. I apologize for not being able to be there. I think stacking the work party up against Hoopfest weekend did it no favors.

EDIT: one last thing... as to not knowing where your posts end up after being moved: easy solution... go to your profile page (click your name up top)->Statistics Tab->Total Posts section... "Find all posts by...". Not too tough.
      Last edited by Simmeltron; July 2nd, 2012, 09:39 AM.
      -

Comment

I always find it is better to ask questions like "Hey, what happened to that thread I started?" rather than just assuming that something has been deleted. We don't delete anything unless you act like an ass and even then we generally just move the thread to a more applicable place.

If you think a thread is missing, there is this nifty little thing called Search that you can use to verify if the thread is indeed gone. Or, you can also click on New Posts as a way to find recently created or recently commented-on posts. Both of these should be employed before making assumptions of wrong-doing are leveled at our VOLUNTEER moderators. Or better yet... if you don't like the way things are done here, you can choose to start your own forums or - even better - volunteer to help out so that you have some say in what we do here.

Thanks.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
          So rather than prevent it from being buried and moving it to Work Parties, I should have guessed what sub-sub forum that even less people look at to put it in? Then I should lock them and link them? I'm too busy for all that and the moderator pay sucks.
          What are you on about? I never said this was a problem created by you, and in fact pointed out in the second sentence that you did the right thing by moving it out of the main Disc Golf forum.

The moving moderators are, in fact, the only party involved in this instance that is doing nothing wrong. The two problems that I identified are 1) No Camp Sekani or Disc Golf Uprising forums to easily discuss topics with locals, and 2) a Work Party specific forum for the entire region doesn't make any sense.
          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Another Selfless Volunteer

Matt, thanks for all you do to keep this discussion board going and organized. It's a thankless job. I'm sure you don't get the appreciation you deserve for your efforts.

There are way more people who have faith in your intent than those who doubt you or challenge your actions.

Please continue and know there are people in your corner.

Comment

2) a Work Party specific forum for the entire region doesn't make any sense.
              I think it makes perfect sense. Anyone who either knows about, or wants to attend a work party in their area can take one look at that page for details. The WDGC has its own yahoo groups page and regularly posts information regarding events and work parties specific to our group there. Its a useful tool and I recommend it to anyone who is looking to gain traction as a club or organization. This is a wonderful site with lots of information, it has its limitations, but if used correctly it can be beneficial. Its also free and run by dgers who don't mind volunteering their time. It doesn't get said enough, but I'm glad we have this page and the folks who keep it in order.

D
              Team DISCRAFT
              NW Sign Up
              Gorilla Boy
              Paragon Disc Golf
              Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                This is a wonderful site with lots of information, it has its limitations, but if used correctly it can be beneficial. Its also free and run by dgers who don't mind volunteering their time. It doesn't get said enough, but I'm glad we have this page and the folks who keep it in order.
                I agree with this part 100%.
                We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Lyounger View Post
                  Matt, thanks for all you do to keep this discussion board going and organized. It's a thankless job. I'm sure you don't get the appreciation you deserve for your efforts.

There are way more people who have faith in your intent than those who doubt you or challenge your actions.

Please continue and know there are people in your corner.
                  Well thanks! It's not a big deal to spend a couple minutes once in a while sticking or unsticking events, which is mostly all I have been doing. It appeals to the anal fung shui side of me. I made a mistake by not leaving a re-direct on this one, but like Jeff and Sam said, what happened to some basic civility? And like I said, where does this paranoid attitude of the "man" is out to get me come from in regards to some simple moderation of this message board?

Anyway, this thread has definitely run its course, no harm, no foul.
                  Last edited by Matt B.; July 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                    I think it makes perfect sense. Anyone who either knows about, or wants to attend a work party in their area can take one look at that page for details. The WDGC has its own yahoo groups page and regularly posts information regarding events and work parties specific to our group there. Its a useful tool and I recommend it to anyone who is looking to gain traction as a club or organization. This is a wonderful site with lots of information, it has its limitations, but if used correctly it can be beneficial. Its also free and run by dgers who don't mind volunteering their time. It doesn't get said enough, but I'm glad we have this page and the folks who keep it in order.

D
                    Plenty of folks post work party info in both "Work Parties" and in the specific course or club sub-forum and it works just fine. And obviously, if you really want to get attendance at a work party you don't just rely on one post to this message board - you contact your locals! Work party attendance has a lot more to do with club organization, strength and relationships than a message board post.

I agree that this website is a great resource for information, but it is user- driven, and if you don't take the time to learn how to use it, it will be useless to you. I'm still surprised when people on the course are wondering about tournament dates, registration info, etc. for events that are listed here. Or when TD's choose not to list their events here. I realize Faceborg swallowed the internet, but if you are interested in PNW disc golf this is a pretty good one-stop shop.

The mods are assholes, but that is unavoidable.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                      The mods are assholes, but that is unavoidable.
                      And no good deed ever goes unpunished. (Thank you sir, may I have another?)

It seems like too many people think that by typing a few lines onto this board or some other venue, they have successfully 'promoted' their event and if the event fails, well it must have been the fault of their chosen eVenue.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Successful marketing requires multiple venues for getting the message out. Boards are useful but you also better have posters, word-of-mouth, presentations at club meetings, postings on club websites, announcements/sign ups at other tourneys, and skywriting (never overlook skywriting).

Then you'll never feel as if the ineffectiveness of one of these avenues (and one or more will be ineffective) cost you the success of the entire project. And you won't be so pissed due to some perceived slight at the hands of a volunteer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                        Successful marketing requires multiple venues for getting the message out.
                        QFT
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                          And no good deed ever goes unpunished. (Thank you sir, may I have another?)

It seems like too many people think that by typing a few lines onto this board or some other venue, they have successfully 'promoted' their event and if the event fails, well it must have been the fault of their chosen eVenue.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Successful marketing requires multiple venues for getting the message out. Boards are useful but you also better have posters, word-of-mouth, presentations at club meetings, postings on club websites, announcements/sign ups at other tourneys, and skywriting (never overlook skywriting).

Then you'll never feel as if the ineffectiveness of one of these avenues (and one or more will be ineffective) cost you the success of the entire project. And you won't be so pissed due to some perceived slight at the hands of a volunteer.
                          DO people not read all the posts? I apologized. There were mistakes on both sides. I think we are on the live and learn thing here. The forum has ran it's course.. U actually think that this is the only avenue that we pursued to promote the work party? Anyway. As u were people
                          Relax and enjoy your hair
                          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                            U actually think that this is the only avenue that we pursued to promote the work party? Anyway. As u were people
                            It seems to take the full brunt for the reason why fewer people than expected showed up anyway...
                            'Weekend 4 Women':
                            Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                            Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X