X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever been a temp lefty

I hurt my right shoulder a few weeks ago trying a new throw and it hurts pretty bad. i can't really lift things with my arms extended straight in front of me and all the muscles (and there are many!) around my shoulder and down the back of my upper arm are very sore after like 2.5-3 weeks. So rather than quitting I am throwing lefty for a while.

I really am enjoying it. I can throw semi-straight and I max out just above 300ft. Overall I don't have the control like I do with my right but I am getting better with it each time I go out. I went out with J-man, Rob and Jay from Huk-Lab today at Pier and I actually hit a birdie with my left. It was pretty cool. I dont' think I will get as good with it as I am with my right, but it gives me another tool in my arsenal. It's worth learning I would say.

has anyoen else had the experience of being forced to use their right hand? or even choosing just to learn it? How did that go for you?

Originally posted by Brian View Post
    I hurt my right shoulder a few weeks ago trying a new throw and it hurts pretty bad. i can't really lift things with my arms extended straight in front of me and all the muscles (and there are many!) around my shoulder and down the back of my upper arm are very sore after like 2.5-3 weeks. So rather than quitting I am throwing lefty for a while.

I really am enjoying it. I can throw semi-straight and I max out just above 300ft. Overall I don't have the control like I do with my right but I am getting better with it each time I go out. I went out with J-man, Rob and Jay from Huk-Lab today at Pier and I actually hit a birdie with my left. It was pretty cool. I dont' think I will get as good with it as I am with my right, but it gives me another tool in my arsenal. It's worth learning I would say.

has anyoen else had the experience of being forced to use their right hand? or even choosing just to learn it? How did that go for you?

I have not had to switch arms, but when I first started playing disc golf I pretty much just drove forehand. Then I played in my first big tournament the Willamette Open 2008, and proceeded to throw my arm out. I was forced to throw backhand for awhile, and as a result developed a good backhand too. Now I can drive just about equally as good forehand or backhand. Really has helped my game a lot.

Cindy
    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
    Stumptown #176
    PDGA #37716

Comment

Yeah it really does help the game to havesome options

Comment

This last summer, I had to switch from a righty sidearm, to a lefty backhand for about 3 months or so due to a cut tendon on my right hand.

It was a pain in the ass of a transition, but it was worth it to keep on playing
        All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

my best advice is to not try to simulate your right hand just learn what to do to make your left hand better. i found that just taking a little off gave me good control. i still use my left on short lefty holes or upshots. i found that putting was the best addition. i put left handed all the time in rough spots instead of sidearm . much more control of distance around the basket. but the best thing of all is to enjoy playing the game. and since its winter in oregon and your still playing i think you got that figured out . peace to all

Comment

Yeah, I am doing ok with it .. I just dont get the snap. I can throw 300ish feet or so, but if I don't really concentrate I end up throwing with just my arm and it goes like 50 feet in a hard hyzer. I have to throw it from shoulder to shoulder with alot of snap to get it to go right, then I hit trees still much more than I do no my right. I am afraid my right arm is goign to lose muscle memory. I guess I will need to work the power back into it when I recover.

Comment

Off hand tips:

Go slow, think of it as a chance to build good technique from the ground up. The game is already in your head, its just not in your arm yet. It may take a while for the muscles in your arm and WRIST to condition into useful muscles. After a day of practicing lefty my arm was so sore I could barely flex my hand.
              Team DISCRAFT
              NW Sign Up
              Gorilla Boy
              Paragon Disc Golf
              Odwalla

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X