X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn Labrum?

I injured my throwing shoulder about 8 weeks ago playing DG (exclusive RHBH).

I Just got done talking to the orthopedic surgeon about the results of my MRI.

"< 50% chance it will heal on it's own"
    "> 50% of the Labrum is damaged. Most of the front, some of the rear"

I have friends who have been diagnosed with labrum tears (from DG or not).
    They can still huk (after long periods of rest) without having had surgery to repair the tears.

Has anyone had torn labrum shoulder surgery?
    I would like to talk to you.
    Any other info is welcome.

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post

They can still huk (after long periods of rest) without having had surgery to repair the tears.

I kid you NOT, I was at Riverside DGC in Sumner, WA about 2 hours ago and walked up on a group of two with nice young lady following them with a little one in tow. They asked about my arm brace. I tore a couple Bicep muscles throwing a thumber a few months back. One of them HAD a Labrum shoulder injury he was recovering from, the other had a HUGE cut up the back of his arm where he had surgery 2 weeks ago! I asked if we should start a club, or something?????
    Sorry I don't have more info for you, just a Weird day of Circumstance with the Injuries....

Comment

I am a Certified Athletic Trainer who works with high school athletes & at a Physical Therapy clinic. My directing physician is an orthopedic surgeon. I am pretty familiar with labrum (S.L.A.P. tears) and other shoulder problems. Shoot me a PM & I'll get you more info. Might be easier to explain with a phone call though.

Comment

Really sorry to hear about this Bryan. Hope you get better and are back to throwing soon!

Comment

A torn labrum majora indicates you aren't manning up enough when you throw.
          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
            A torn labrum majora indicates you aren't manning up enough when you throw.
            Or you are just doing it wrong. Also, don't you mean Labium?
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
              Or you are just doing it wrong. Also, don't you mean Labium?
              You guys are stupid! If you are going to make fun of someone's anatomy at least know what you are talking about and use it properly to make your joke. Bryan I'll try to call you tonight.

Comment

talk to a physical therapist

i'd guess ScottW will have some good info, and verbal explaination will be easier,
                but the basic idea is: the outer end of your shoulder blade has a shallow, oval shaped socket [glenoid] that your upper arm bone [humerus] rests in. this is your g-h joint.
                Around the outer edge/rim of the socket is a tough, gristle-like ring [labrum] that makes the socket deeper, which helps this joint remain stable when hukking tomahawks and wicked thumbers.
                Several muscles [your rotator cuff] span this joint, also to help keep it stable. Stable in this case means the arm bone stays snuggly and centered in the socket, where it belongs...
                a torn labrum has detached at places along the 'rim' . it is helping less to keep things in place, consequently the RTC [rotator cuff] has a lot more work to do just to keep things stable, much less comfortable, coordinated, and able to huk...
                Does this sound like you?:
                have less bad injury
                not so painful movement
                are less active or dependent on strong use of their shoulder, or
                expect less of their shoulder, or
                have (or willing to work for) strong RTC muscles from specific training that keep it stable enuff to do what they want/need

OR this sound more like you?:
                have worse injury, or
                wicked painful movement
                weak RTC muscles, or
                more active, expect more performance from their shoulder, or
                young with more reps required of their arms before kickin' it on easy street

many other considerations. As another long time injured discer on this site said recently, "always get a second opinion"

this is where a good Physical therapist would come in handy...
                my personal bias is for a PT emphasising 'manual therapy'
                less comfort machines [ultrasound and electrical simulation], more hands on treatment.
                this PT might concur with the surgeon, but should have the info for informed decisions
                Also, not sure how young or well insured you are, but try not to let a couple hundred bucks of expense here and now keep you from talking to the right people to get the right thing done for your long term health!
                good luck

Disclaimer: I've never had a surgury, i have had a good PT along the way, i work in an associated field, and I am expressing my OPINION only
                Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post

"good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                  You guys are stupid! If you are going to make fun of someone's anatomy at least know what you are talking about and use it properly to make your joke. Bryan I'll try to call you tonight.
                  Don't include me in this, I know exactly what I'm talking about

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                    Don't include me in this, I know exactly what I'm talking about
                    I only included you and Stu in my post! Don't worry though, I only worded it the way that I did because I know you both.

Comment

I don't know anatomy. Is that anything like being a Capricorn?

With all seriousness though, I hope that you can help this guy. Shoulder injuries never coincide with good disc golf.
                      Cleveland Brown

Comment

go time

Shoulder surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning, Friday 10/05.
                        Doc will be anchoring my Labrum back onto my shoulder with some industrial strength anchors.

I'm also having the surgeon sew some elastic surgical tubing from my shoulder to my elbow, and from my elbow to my wrist.
                        I should be slinging again by March!

I'd like to give a HUGE shout-out to ScottW for his willingness to discuss my injury and provide sound advice and suggestions. Thanks Scott!

Comment

Scott is the man.
                          Cleveland Brown

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I take it you got all of your questions answered sufficiently and are ready to move on with fixing the problem. I am sure you are in very capable hands with your orthopedic surgeon. I hope all goes well. I am guessing you will be in a big abduction pillow splint - aka an "airplane sling" - for 6-8 weeks. The best thing you can do to get yourself back on the course is follow all of the precautions you doctor will give you - the restrictions will suck but they are there for a reason. Holler if you have any questions.

Comment

People have been saying that labrum rejuvenation surgery really works.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X