Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as a beginner, how far should i be throwing?

I'm just learning how to throw
    And I was wondering about how far I should be throwing as my form and power get better
    with a

Ch 167 sidewinder
    Dx 150 leopard
    Z 167ish Glide
    Z 167ish buzzz
    Dx 150 shark
    Dx 150 Aviary p&a

I am just looking for referance mark
    Thanks matt
    Last edited by matt; June 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM.

Originally posted by matt View Post
    I'm just learning how to throw
    And I was wondering about how far I should be throwing as my form and power get better
    with a
    sidewinder
    leopard
    Glide
    buzzz
    shark
    Aviary p&a

Thanks matt

you should be throwing exactly 270 feet.

i'm joking. It doesn't matter how far you can throw, focus more on keeping everything smooth, putting will be your best friend. That is #1 on the list to be a good golfer. If you can throw 400+ feet but can't make a putt than you will lose. But if you can only throw 250 but make everything within 30 feet, you will be a good golfer. Just keep playing, and practice in a field. Watch videos of the pros, and watch every step they take, where their feet are, what their arms and legs are doing etc... i've learned a lot from watching women play golf as well. They don't try to power everything, they rely on smooth form. I have probably learned more from women than I have from men. Will Shusterick would be my recomendation to watch play, he has perfect form, slow wide steps, huge push back with the disc, and great balance/snap at the end. I know I wasn't much help, but those will be. Good luck! also... if you are new to the game, go to lunchtime league on mondays, its handicap so you only play against yourself, while playing with good golfers of all skill levels. That is where I switched from new player to disc golfer.
    Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

I agree with Mowens404! Best thing I have done for my game is Play with people that are better than me. Listen, watch, and take it all in. Best Advice I was given when I had just started..... "Practice your Putting EVERYDAY" and "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is FAR". Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by JNichols View Post
        "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is FAR".

I like that a lot.
        Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

i can't really add much to what matty, sorry i mean, mowens, said... but i will have to say as far as distance... i've been playing for a loooooong time... and i still throw much shorter than most of my competition. this has created a bit of an obsession for me that i battle with in EVERY single tournament i play... it doesn't matter how far someone else throws... it doesn't matter that i throw a boss when someone else is throwing a buzzz or a spider... what matters is that i am keeping it straight down the fairway, getting it to the green and putting it in the basket in just as many throws. i took a four on one of the big long holes out at milo during the BSF and so did all the other gals on my card... they had had 40-50 foot putts for their 3's that they missed... i had a 200 foot approach on my third throw that i nailed and we all dropped in for 4. i walked away from 7E singing in my head, "and i did it myyyyy waaayyy..."

anywho... it won't behouve you to try to match someone else's distance necessarily and people are so different in their games that i don't know that you will get much good info from folks off the computer on this forum... i mean, i throw my aviar about 90 feet tops but i know some people (yes, girls included) that can throw it over 200 feet...
          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by mowens404 View Post
            i've learned a lot from watching women play golf as well. They don't try to power everything, they rely on smooth form. I have probably learned more from women than I have from men.
            indeed, me too, I would recommend watching videos of des and emulating her form, if you can do that you will become an incredibly skilled golfer in no time

Comment

The best advice I've ever heard about developing form and distance is this; DON'T THROW DRIVERS.

Seriously, start throwing putters and midranges till you get a nice, controllable and repeatable form. Video tape yourself while throwing and play them back. You will get all sorts of knowledge just from seeing what your body does when you throw. Work your way up to fairway drivers once you can consistently throw putters and mids where you want without trouble. Repeat the same process until you have built up accuracy and distance. Then max distance drivers.

Learn backhand and sidearm equally as they both are very important.

Putt more than you drive. Putt till you are so dialed in on your routine and form that it's automatic. Then putt even more.

Never be afraid to ask questions of those around you. 99% of us are more than happy to help another golfer. It's the 1% that scare away the interested.

Smooth = far.
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by jcrab66 View Post
                indeed, me too, I would recommend watching videos of des and emulating her form, if you can do that you will become an incredibly skilled golfer in no time

exactly who I was thinking of when I said this!

Comment

you will all be in trouble when my petition to remove putting from the game get ratified by the PDGA. Once implemented anything inside the circle is automatic made putt. Think of the money we save on course design, just need a bright pole to represent the center of the circle. My day will come, until then though... yeah Matt practice putting, a lot.
                  sigpic

Comment

Watch this video. it has everything from the steps, to the arms, the follow through, the reach back. watch it 5 times in a row. good form, good putting, and confidence is all it takes to be the very best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v9B4NhuXY&NR=1

Comment

Throw in the fairway.
                      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

thanks for the replies, folks

I have been reading and watching videos (thanks for the slow-mo link)
                        and trying to absorb all the tips I can get

i have been putting pretty regular (I have a costco basket in the back yard)

I have already read and heard, most of the the tips you all just gave me, so that makes me smile (I'm on the right track)

I was just wondering if I am in the neighborhood

Comment

hey Matt, i played in your group a couple weeks ago at shelton doubles, and i was impressed with the distance you were throwing already for being a new player. your distance looks good, and you will get more distance with time but a more important focus is accuracy.

from what i saw just in that one round it seemed like you were playing better than alot of beginners that i have seen. keep doing what your doing!
                          Team HOSER:dancing:
                          Team OLY:cheerleader:
                          Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by mowens404 View Post
                            Watch this video. it has everything from the steps, to the arms, the follow through, the reach back. watch it 5 times in a row. good form, good putting, and confidence is all it takes to be the very best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v9B4NhuXY&NR=1
                            As a beginner should I hold the disc that low?
                            I have been trying to keep it up higher in an effort to keep it level when it leaves my hand

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                              hey Matt, i played in your group a couple weeks ago at shelton doubles, and i was impressed with the distance you were throwing already for being a new player. your distance looks good, and you will get more distance with time but a more important focus is accuracy.

from what i saw just in that one round it seemed like you were playing better than alot of beginners that i have seen. keep doing what your doing!
                              Thanks for the help that day
                              I've been working on it as time allows

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X