X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ACE etiquette

Ok I know it is tradition to have your disc signed after you rip an ACE, but is it also tradition to sign the basket? I was playing the short course at Horning's on Sunday with my hubby Steve. We were on 16th, and witnessed someone skip an ACE into 18. Then once they got down to the basket they singed it with a sharpie I am not sure how Bob H. feels about people writing on his baskets, but I thought it was not cool I have not noticed any other baskets with sigs on them, so I am just wondering if it is the norm.

Cindy
    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
    Stumptown #176
    PDGA #37716

I signed the basket on my first ace ever...then realized that that was a dumb thing to do. I sign their disc along with a fiver if I'm in their group. If I'm not in the group then I toss em a washington.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
      I signed the basket on my first ace ever...then realized that that was a dumb thing to do. I sign their disc along with a fiver if I'm in their group. If I'm not in the group then I toss em a washington.
      It was this person's first ACE by the way, so that would make it more special I suppose.

Cindy
      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
      Stumptown #176
      PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
        Ok I know it is tradition to have your disc signed after you rip an ACE, but is it also tradition to sign the basket? I was playing the short course at Horning's on Sunday with my hubby Steve. We were on 16th, and witnessed someone skip an ACE into 18. Then once they got down to the basket they singed it with a sharpie I am not sure how Bob H. feels about people writing on his baskets, but I thought it was not cool I have not noticed any other baskets with sigs on them, so I am just wondering if it is the norm.

Cindy
        Yeah I have noticed that crap too. Some idiot is even bragging about their turkeys on some of the baskets. Who gives a shit about your turkey????? I noticed the Orchard baskets are starting to get pretty marked up as well. If everyone who got an ace at Orchard marked the basket they would all be colored black.
        Last edited by keys; February 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM.
        Current World Rank: 2857th
        Lowest Rated Round: 777
        Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
        Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
        Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
        Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
        Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
        Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Vandalism is vandalism. Why would a golfer ever want to vandalize a golf basket? Makes no sense to me.

Proper ace etiquette includes cheering, jumping up and down, high fives, and disc signatures. A fiver is appropriate too, if that's how your group rolls.

Comment

sig on 18

I too was suprised to see the markings on short 18 when I played on Monday. A member of our group had just shot -14.... But he didn't write "I Own the Course!!!" on each Basket.

sign the disc, take a bow, snap a photo, fill your wallet and move on.

Comment

I think it is neat to see the name and date of people who aced a hole. Maybe not on orchards because pretty much all the hoels are aceable if thrown enough times. But on a course the size vance or up I would say it is a fun thing to do and it hurts no one. So the bar has writing on it, it's not a big deal and it is fun to look at. I've not done it yet, but I know people who have and I look at their signature whenever I think about it and am at that hole. It's harmless ...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                I think it is neat to see the name and date of people who aced a hole. Maybe not on orchards because pretty much all the hoels are aceable if thrown enough times. But on a course the size vance or up I would say it is a fun thing to do and it hurts no one. So the bar has writing on it, it's not a big deal and it is fun to look at. I've not done it yet, but I know people who have and I look at their signature whenever I think about it and am at that hole. It's harmless ...
                Endorses theft and vandalism. Try for the trifecta!

Comment

DO NOT SIGN THE BASKET!

Bob

Comment

Sign it .. it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                      Sign it .. it's fine.
                      Sign it......I see it..........I report it as vandelism! Police visit YOU! Nough said!

Bob

Comment

Man... Brian if you ever stood a chance of getting an ace, I would almost like to be there so I could take video of you defacing the basket and then call the police.

You have made it clear that you would do the same to people who you see breaking the law. Turnabout is fair play, no?
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I am in the middle of developing a course in Stayton and no way would I want anyone to be signing the baskets. It only encourages those who don't know that you only supposed to sign it for an ace, to just scribble on it their own names and dates. Sign the disc if you witnessed it. If you were in the group, pay $5 or more. If you were not in the group and witnessed it, $1 or more. But please don't just stand there and say sweeeet shottt dude and then procede to your own game. I aced a hardddddddddd hole right before a tournament 2 weeks ago, my 2nd ace ever and there were like 70 people within 200 feet warming up etc, at least 10 saw the whole flight, and only one person signed the disc and another gave a dollar, that was it. I thought that sucked cuz NorCal is famous for putting up dollars for aces and only one out of 70 gave me a dollar on what is a really hard hole to ace.... I have never witnessed an ace before but by golly when I do, i gonna put up more than a few dead presidents.

Comment

Brian is nothing more than an agitator. He obviously relishes the limited spotlight he gets here.
                            From what he writes here, it's safe to say he has no one to talk to.
                            I blame his mother for not breastfeeding him. And his father for the defective genes.
                            I sincerely doubt he's as big an idiot as he wants us to believe.

If this was 3rd grade, I'm fairly sure I could give him a nickel to eat his boogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
                              Brian is nothing more than an agitator. He obviously relishes the limited spotlight he gets here.
                              From what he writes here, it's safe to say he has no one to talk to.
                              I blame his mother for not breastfeeding him. And his father for the defective genes.
                              I sincerely doubt he's as big an idiot as he wants us to believe.

If this was 3rd grade, I'm fairly sure I could give him a nickel to eat his boogers.
                              Just ignore it then. Geeze can we have one thread that is not Brian against the world that eventually gets relegated to the controversial topics.

Back to the subject. I agree that writing on any basket in uncool. Especially though when it in on private property like at Horning's. His homemade baskets are so cool looking all painted up that bright yellow. It looks really tacky with all the writing on the tire rim baskets. Like I said I am not sure how Bob H. feels about his baskets being signed. I think I will ask him next time I see him.

Cindy
                              2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                              Stumptown #176
                              PDGA #37716

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X