X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect for Work Parties

So It happened again I was volunteering on a closed hole and got plunked by a player. I had closed the tee and the group played through ANYWAY. They actually had the balls to ask me
    ..."to stop so they could play through".
    I nearly lost it!!!
    "You stupid ... I am doing this for the benefit of all can't you just skip the hole and go to the next one?"

Another thing Just because you know me does not mean I will let you play through, In fact just the opposite you sure as hell better skip the hole.

Bottom line If you see someone volunteering on a hole
    SKIP IT
    rewindb.com

dear disc golfing community,

in case you did not know, most of the work that happens on the disc golf courses you dearly love happens thru the selfless goodness of volunteers. please do not plunk said volunteers in the head or face or knees or shoulders or back of the neck if they are diligently doing course work on a hole you would like to play. if the hole has a sign stating it is closed, bummer, looks like you're gonna have to skip it this time. if it appears that the worker or work crew is taking a break or off the fairway, perhaps you can politely ask to play the hole, understanding of course that the answer may be, "next time, buddy."

if you are reading this message then i know and you know that you are aware of this forum. perhaps you might think about checking out the threads in the "work parties" section and seeing if there's anyway you could also pitch in to make our courses that much better and more beautiful.

to recap: volunteers rock. please don't plunk them.

yours truly,
    not jub

p.s. yes, jub, i don't even know you and i'm teasing you just a little bit. i fully agree with your message i just thought it needed some PR touch...
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Agreed..

A couple of years ago for BSF, Patrick was working on a hole and I thought he was looking at me waiting for me to throw. But he wasn't and I almost nailed him - he made a comment with that deep booming voice.

Ooops..sorry

Never again..

Comment

Whatever...

If someone throws on me while I'm mowing... that disc will end up looking like a CE Chew Toy.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
          Whatever...

If someone throws on me while I'm mowing... that disc will end up looking like a CE Chew Toy.

Than it will be hung on my wall with my collection of broken discs.
          Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by mowens404 View Post
            Than it will be hung on my wall with my collection of broken discs.
            Heh. You'd know better
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I parked my Toyota truck next to a basket at Lake Stevens so I could unload some gravel into the nearby tee box. I had to walk to another hole to talk to someone and a group came up and decided to make my truck part of the hole. One disc shattered my side mirror. I didn't notice it until I left for the day or I would have confronted the dudes. Ironically, I never saw them again. Maybe a broken side mirror was worth getting the d-bags off the course for good?

P.S. I only throw at Jub intentionally at pdga sanctioned tourneys. The $150 bounty is way more than any scrip I could win.

Comment

Whatever...

Speaking of which, let me know when you shred my destroyer in the tall grass of the Monster at Milo, drive hit the gap faded left and vanished into the 4 footers

I'd like it back even if it's just a piece of it, it deserves a proper burial

Comment

Whatever...

oh, c'mon... you've got a helmet and safety goggles on...
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

While doing volunteer work at Lunchtime, a player threw on a hole where my van was parked for loading, and busted out the tail light. I even confronted the group of players, but apology, no offer to pay for damage...

And once I arrived early at a Chick Flick, parked my car, and it got hit by a humongous cling-on drive from a player warming up. My car was dented, but again, no offer of responsibility...

Hey, wow, never realized: That's 2 cars damaged by disc girls...

UPDATE: I just remembered, I have only hit 2 people with a golf disc drive: they were both spotting on the hole at the respective times, and they were both girls. I guess that proves Karma. And I suppose we're even.

Still, though, I agree. Don't throw on a hole with people, animals, or vehicles on it!
                    Last edited by TreeLove; June 5th, 2012, 05:26 PM.
                    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                      So It happened again I was volunteering on a closed hole and got plunked by a player. I had closed the tee and the group played through ANYWAY. They actually had the balls to ask me
                      ..."to stop so they could play through".
                      I nearly lost it!!!
                      "You stupid ... I am doing this for the benefit of all can't you just skip the hole and go to the next one?"

Another thing Just because you know me does not mean I will let you play through, In fact just the opposite you sure as hell better skip the hole.

Bottom line If you see someone volunteering on a hole
                      SKIP IT

I don't skip a hole on a ball golf course because they are mowing..... I don't agree with them throwing on you, but them asking you to play through is perfectly acceptable.

I learned a long time ago that it doesn't do any good to bitch about the people who don't show up for the work party. It was your choice to be there working on the course.
                      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

UMMMMM>>>>

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                        I don't skip a hole on a ball golf course because they are mowing..... I don't agree with them throwing on you, but them asking you to play through is perfectly acceptable.

I learned a long time ago that it doesn't do any good to bitch about the people who don't show up for the work party. It was your choice to be there working on the course.
                        Seriously? If there is signage on the teepad. MOVE ON. On a ball golf course, you have PAID for the pleasure. Disc golf is FREEEEEE only because of volunteers working on the course. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post

How about course/club regulars who know of the work party and show up half way through the work party and are playing a round? Seriously? Whoa...

Comment

Originally posted by hyphenboy View Post
                            Seriously? If there is signage on the teepad. MOVE ON. On a ball golf course, you have PAID for the pleasure. Disc golf is FREEEEEE only because of volunteers working on the course. Seriously.
                            Don't get me wrong, I am not condoning playing through a concrete party. But, I am ok with playing through one person working on a hole. I'm not ok with throwing on that person blind, but giving a "heads up" most certainly.

Im painfully aware of the cost of disc golf, it is certainly not FREEEEEE!

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                              How about course/club regulars who know of the work party and show up half way through the work party and are playing a round? Seriously? Whoa...
                              Very frustrating! There is no doubt about that! Can I do anything about it by getting angry, not so much. When I am working on a course, I am there by choice, as much as I would like to, I can't force anybody else to be there.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X