X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
    Hey look at that..... golfers can get along with work parties!

But by no means did I have the right to throw the hole. If he didn't want people throwing on him, we would have skipped the hole, and would have been OK with that. It's all about being polite and asking.
    Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by mowens404 View Post
      But by no means did I have the right to throw the hole. If he didn't want people throwing on him, we would have skipped the hole, and would have been OK with that. It's all about being polite and asking.
      That's exactly right! I agree that the work party has the final say in whether a hole is closed or not... I also think that a hole should be closed only if it absolutely needs to.
      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

... all i really need to know about how to live and what to be and how to golf i learned from matt owens.
        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
          ... all i really need to know about how to live and what to be and how to golf i learned from matt owens.

all I know about being a bad-ass no dinner pants dancing fun having golfer I learned from Emma.
          Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

I must agree with Mr. Anderson. I always welcome golfers to play through and spot for them. That is what it's about, right? Playing Disc golf?

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman View Post
              I must agree with Mr. Anderson. I always welcome golfers to play through and spot for them. That is what it's about, right? Playing Disc golf?
              Sorry man your wrong!!! I have been doing this along time now and it has been my experience that golfers only want to golf They are not too interested in doing anything for the sport just for themselves. Without VOLUNTEERS keeping these courses maintained we would be searching longer for wayward plastic.
              rewindb.com

Comment

chopped plastic

When 'dummies' throw on a hole they see me working on, I go out of my way to run over their discs with my mower.
                I have been known to throw their drive back to them and ask them nicely (well sorta nicely) to not play this hole at this time.
                I have also walked to the tee and explained how important it was to maintain the course so we could all enjoy it.
                Last edited by Flatroc; June 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM. Reason: n
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                  Sorry man your wrong!!! I have been doing this along time now and it has been my experience that golfers only want to golf They are not too interested in doing anything for the sport just for themselves. Without VOLUNTEERS keeping these courses maintained we would be searching longer for wayward plastic.
                  I may be "wrong" in your mind, Jub, but I came to the mindset long ago that what matters is that the work gets done. Some people are never going to help out, but crying about it accomplishes nothing. What little work I have done is out of love for the game and the community. I've been hit more than a few times, some very painful, none happened during a work party or while mowing. I believe being alert while volunteering is part of the job, but maybe I'm just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
                    When 'dummies' throw on a hole they see me working on, I go out of my way to run over their discs with my mower.
                    I have been know to throw their drive back to them and ask them nicely (well sorta nicely) to not play this hole at this time.
                    I have also walked to the tee and explained how important it was to maintain the course so we could all enjoy it.

No need to be hostile just because they aren't working on the course. I've done work parties and been clearing bushes when groups walked up to the hole. I just kept an eye out and let them throw, when they threw near me, I took 1 step out of the way and bbam! you get back to work and that's it. no anger, no hostility, just you working and them enjoying. I don't understand why it is such a big deal that people play the hole. If they are being rude and just throw without any warning I could understand being upset, but they aren't trying to hit you, they are your disc golf brothers and sisters. Remind me not to play the course you work on, so I can keep all my plastic.

Comment

It is obviously a case by case situation. If you come to a teepad and there is a sign on it that maintenance is being done on the hole or the individual is hard at work down the fairway and it seems as though they are not keeping an eye out then it would be common courtesy to skip the hole without question. The worker could have ear protection on and cant hear and it would seem common sense wise that the more work he or she could get done without interuption the faster the rest of the disc golf community can enjoy a nicely manicured hole.

If you come to a teepad and the individual is hard at work and keeping an eye out for disc golfers and waves you on to play then by all means..........play on.

As players we should respect the hard workers in either scenario and act accordingly. I am baffled why this such a hard issue to figure out. Just asses the situation and do the right thing.
                      WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
                        It is obviously a case by case situation. If you come to a teepad and there is a sign on it that maintenance is being done on the hole or the individual is hard at work down the fairway and it seems as though they are not keeping an eye out then it would be common courtesy to skip the hole without question. The worker could have ear protection on and cant hear and it would seem common sense wise that the more work he or she could get done without interuption the faster the rest of the disc golf community can enjoy a nicely manicured hole.

If you come to a teepad and the individual is hard at work and keeping an eye out for disc golfers and waves you on to play then by all means..........play on.

As players we should respect the hard workers in either scenario and act accordingly. I am baffled why this such a hard issue to figure out. Just asses the situation and do the right thing.
                        We have a winner!

Comment

No need to be hostile just because they aren't working on the course. I've done work parties and been clearing bushes when groups walked up to the hole. I just kept an eye out and let them throw, when they threw near me, I took 1 step out of the way and bbam! you get back to work and that's it. no anger, no hostility, just you working and them enjoying. I don't understand why it is such a big deal that people play the hole. If they are being rude and just throw without any warning I could understand being upset, but they aren't trying to hit you, they are your disc golf brothers and sisters. Remind me not to play the course you work on, so I can keep all my plastic.
                          I have been holding off on commenting about this topic, but the comments above mirror my viewpoint. A concrete work party is one thing, but a guy or two clearing brush is not a reason to close the hole. A polite request to play through should not be met with what basically amounts to an FU.It seems some commenters on here have a bit of a chip on their shoulders, unnecessarily so.
                          And, yes, i've been involved with many a work party.
                          Basket thieves

Comment

Respect is a two way street.
                            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Why is this so hard? Do we have a learning disability here?

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                              Respect is a two way street.
                              This one kills me!

It seems to me volunteers RESPECT EVERY PLAYER by giving of their time and effort to MAINTAIN the course for the enjoyment all.

Ever wonder why courtsey violations are so harsh?
                              Why shouldn't courtsey be practiced every day even towards volunteers. You would not bitch out a spotter, so why does the poor slob keeping it up not get the same consideration.

Yose (should be in the OR. H.O.F. IMHO)
                              Although your solution is enticing (just like throwing it back at them or into the shit) I lose any moral high ground by lowering myself to the inconsiderate bastards level.

To the one man commentator

I post a sign at the first hole advising players that volunteers are out working and to PLEASE be respectful

I post a sign on the tee of the previous hole advising players that volunteers are out working on the next hole and to PRETTY PLEASE be respectful

I post a sign on the actual hole advising players that volunteers are out working and to PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON IT be respectful and skip the hole
                              rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman View Post
                                I may be "wrong" in your mind, Jub, but I came to the mindset long ago that what matters is that the work gets done. Some people are never going to help out, but crying about it accomplishes nothing. What little work I have done is out of love for the game and the community. I've been hit more than a few times, some very painful, none happened during a work party or while mowing. I believe being alert while volunteering is part of the job, but maybe I'm just wrong.
                                Yup, you are just wrong...
                                'Weekend 4 Women':
                                Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                                Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X