X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throwing my $.02 in

I have worked maintenance on a couple of golf courses in my day and I was instructed that I must be aware of golfers on the course. If there was a golfer that was on the tee #1 at 7am it was my responsibility to stay out of his/her way for his/her whole round. There might be a time where I was specifically working on an area the whole day, if that was the case I kept an eye on the tee box and if golfers approached I waved them on and took cover. I would also expect the golfer to only shoot when it was safe. Some will argue "Well, that's golf and we're talking about disc golf." That's true, but just because you pay to play golf doesn't mean you should be inconsiderate to those who play disc golf for "free".

IMO more people should help maintain disc golf courses, but just because they are playing when I am working does not mean the "hole is closed". (maybe if you are pouring concrete or have cars parked in the middle of the fairway, then you would hope the golfer would practice some common sense) The majority of people playing disc golf do not know in advance when a work party is scheduled. They show up to the course and expect to play a round.

If they want to play this great game, wave them through, take a well deserved break, and spectate. Maybe kindly notify them that the course is player maintained and it would be great if you could get their contact information so they help out next time.

Like all situations, it will be handled differently by everyone.

Comment

This thread is starting to drift a little. I am still confused. Is it..or is it not...ok to throw discs at Jub? From what I have read, if he has a rake, weed eater, or clippers, I think maybe not?

Please clarify! I may be seeing him on a course near me soon.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
        This thread is starting to drift a little. I am still confused. Is it..or is it not...ok to throw discs at Jub? From what I have read, if he has a rake, weed eater, or clippers, I think maybe not?

Its ALWAYS O.K. to throw discs at Jub.....especially if he has a/his tool in his hand.

Comment

I find it comical that there are people who feel it is OK for someone to play a hole that is closed so maintenance can be done on it. I have been to plenty of ball golf courses that had holes closed due to green re-seeding or weather damage! What is this world coming to when people can't be courteous enough to just skip a hole so things can get done by a volunteer without fear of being clobbered by a disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
            just because you pay to play golf doesn't mean you should be inconsiderate to those who play disc golf for "free".
            Seriously? Inconsiderate?

I think you have this backwards! It should read:

Just because you show up to a course that is having maintenance done does not give you the right to be inconsiderate and hit the volunteer with your disc!

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
              I don't skip a hole on a ball golf course because they are mowing.....
              So you would be perfectly ok if you drove off the tee, struck the guy on the mower in the head or face and caused serious damage or death?

This happened to a volunteer at a course who was moving a pin placement and lost three front teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
                Seriously? Inconsiderate?

I think you have this backwards! It should read:

Just because you show up to a course that is having maintenance done does not give you the right to be inconsiderate and hit the volunteer with your disc!
                No one has the right to throw at another person. A golfer and the worker should both be considerate. Golfers should never throw on anybody and people who are maintaining the course should be aware of users of the park and allow them to play. (if it can be safely done)

I also stated in the same post you are commenting on.

I would also expect the golfer to only shoot when it was safe.

The course can be shared, without any harm done to either party

Comment

So you would be perfectly ok if you drove off the tee, struck the guy on the mower in the head or face and caused serious damage or death?

This happened to a volunteer at a course who was moving a pin placement and lost three front teeth!
                  Typically at a ball golf course the person who is mowing will stop mowing, drive into the rough and let the golfers pass. If the golfer shoots while a worker is in range, the golfer should be liable. Taking responsibility for their actions. Even if it was a mistake.

Comment

Typically at a ball golf course the person who is mowing will stop mowing, drive into the rough and let the golfers pass. If the golfer shoots while a worker is in range, the golfer should be liable. Taking responsibility for their actions. Even if it was a mistake.
                    But does that make it OK that the golfer played knowing that they could cause harm?

We have become such an "everybody has their right to everything" Country...it makes me sick!

Comment

But does that make it OK that the golfer played knowing that they could cause harm?!

no

Comment

You wanna wait till he's close to his tarp, that way, when you bean him, he falls on it. Then its easier to drag his carcass back over near his car.
                        If you leave him laying in the fairway its a sure bet the group behind you will roll him like a bum in a back alley and steal his shoes.

Comment

I parked my Toyota truck next to a basket at Lake Stevens so I could unload some gravel into the nearby tee box. I had to walk to another hole to talk to someone and a group came up and decided to make my truck part of the hole. One disc shattered my side mirror. I didn't notice it until I left for the day or I would have confronted the dudes. Ironically, I never saw them again. Maybe a broken side mirror was worth getting the d-bags off the course for good?

P.S. I only throw at Jub intentionally at pdga sanctioned tourneys. The $150 bounty is way more than any scrip I could win.
                          Ths funny thing is BA we both know you will never hit me. You only play at the hole and I won't be caught dead there
                          rewindb.com

Comment

We will always have around those individuals that love disc golf enough to perform course maintenance as volunteers. 95% of all disc golfers never know these people or the pride they take in improving, maintaining or cleaning their Home Courses.

AND

We will always have those golfers that think that because the course is on public property that they own a part of it and no one is going to take away their right to play whatever hole they want too regardless of who is working on it.

That being said, I say disc golfers should be considerate of those that maintain the resource that they use. And having one golfer throw on a work party is No Joke.
                            Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

I think the guy mowing or any work on the course has the right of way. The sooner I mow this fairway the sooner I can mow the next one. Most of us on here know that so let's all encourage it out on the course also.
                              Get off your ass and go help at a work party this month

Comment

I find it comical that there are people who feel it is OK for someone to play a hole that is closed so maintenance can be done on it. I have been to plenty of ball golf courses that had holes closed due to green re-seeding or weather damage! What is this world coming to when people can't be courteous enough to just skip a hole so things can get done by a volunteer without fear of being clobbered by a disc.
                                At anytime or any chance anyone has to throw at mine all mine DO IT!!! He is the biggest doucher ever!!! why is this thread more than one or two posts? It is crazy to think that there is more then one dumbass who thinks it would be ok to hit or even throw on a volunteer, and to say ball golf doesn't close a whole is not the same. That person working on the ball golf course is being paid.
                                My drunken words are my sober thoughts!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X