Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand the concept of playing a path OB, but over the path as not OB. Why not just paint random circles on the fairway and call them OB?

Protecting walkers on the path? I don't buy it. A disc that lands on the path is probably coming in at ankle height or lower. A disc that lands over the path could be coming in at head height and still be safe (as in, not OB).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      I don't understand the concept of playing a path OB, but over the path as not OB. Why not just paint random circles on the fairway and call them OB?
      Rockwood and Vance are the first to come to mind. Many paths cross the fairways.

Comment

Why not just paint random circles on the fairway and call them OB?
        Funny you should mention this Scott, as it is exactly what is happening in pdga events in the mid west and eastern areas. There was an article on this, but I wasn't able to find it to post a link at this time. When I find it I'll pass it along.
        educate your thinking

Comment

I love Trojan, it's one of my favourite courses. I love the challenge, I love the mental strain, and I even love throwing discs in the water. There's no other place in the NW that I have played that makes you really have to trust your abilities. If I throw a disc in the water, I do so knowing and accepting the risk (less a tree knack or something) beforehand.

Then again, I have a "Trojan pile" of backups and old plastic that I take with me when I play Trojan specifically to sacrifice at an attempted birdy on hole 8 (which I've parked a few times).

I think it's one of Chris' favourite courses as well, and she can only throw around 250-270'.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
            Then again, I have a "Trojan pile" of backups and old plastic that I take with me when I play Trojan specifically to sacrifice at an attempted birdy on hole 8 (which I've parked a few times).
            This backfired for me. I throw a disc that I don't throw very often = I'm not as familiar with that disc = I don't really know what it's going to do = it's wet/goodbye. Kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I do best out there when I have full confidence and throw my regular bag (my last round out there/5 discs lost notwithstanding).

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
              Funny you should mention this Scott, as it is exactly what is happening in pdga events in the mid west and eastern areas. There was an article on this, but I wasn't able to find it to post a link at this time. When I find it I'll pass it along.
              I've read about that, and don't think I would like it. How does that reward a great shot? Totally random.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                I love Trojan, it's one of my favourite courses. I love the challenge, I love the mental strain, and I even love throwing discs in the water. There's no other place in the NW that I have played that makes you really have to trust your abilities. If I throw a disc in the water, I do so knowing and accepting the risk (less a tree knack or something) beforehand.
                Yeah, but you've got to admit that you and Bob are not the same golfer.
                I think even Bob would admit that.

I think the majority of advanced/pro players really like this course.
                Those of us with less game just have to be masochistic to play it.

I'm with Sean Philips - I do not recommend this course to newer players. In fact, I actively discourage it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                  I think the paths OB started when the OR Series ran an event there. Prior to that, only the water and parking lots were OB.
                  The path and across at Trojan has always been OB on holes 1-5. Quoting Jerry Miller with misspelling “hole 1 thru 5, on or accross the path towards the lake is O.B.”.

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                  I pretty much always play a path as OB, just never played OVER a path as OB at Trojan.
                  It has been my experience that whether a path, sidewalk or road delineates OB as it runs parallel to the fairway or behind a green, that across is OB as well.
                  When you are throwing across a path/road that runs perpendicular to the hole between tee and green it usually is only be the path/road as OB, Whistler’s top of the world hole (14) for example. That hole actually has both cases of OB…
                  Adair has a paved walking path from the road to the tennis courts that cuts across 17’s fairway between the short and long pin positions. It is not OB per general course rules. However it can and has been used as OB in tournament play. Additional OB’s or mando’s for tournament play is up to the tournament director and shouldn’t be unexpected.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Pittman View Post
                    Additional OB’s or mando’s for tournament play is up to the tournament director and shouldn’t be unexpected.
                    Thanks Dave! I was just going to point that out, but you beat me to it!

I had my best drive to date on hole 3 yesterday. Waaay down by the basket, but the disc skipped (or was blown by the wind) just OB on the path by no more than 2-3 inches from a safe throw.
                    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                    Or does here stand the last remaining man
                    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                    I’ll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Wow. I suppose I should chime in on this now...

Paths as OB: Meh. Play that way, don't play that way. Whatever. You need more challenge? Make the paths and over OB (by the way, there is no "pathway" on hole one, and if you don't throw over the path on hole two, you won't get to the basket). If not, I think the water alone provides enough of a challenge.

Risk/reward: Being our home course, we (the 'Nation) have lost many discs to the Gods (see also: beavers) of Trojan. However, we also are well versed in the uses of floating discs. Slag on the Lightning discs all you want, we lose much less plastic than most of the rest of you do playing here, and we play this course a lot more often.

Not a course for beginners: BS. In fact, Trojan is one hell of a course to learn on. I learned to swear REALLY LOUDLY on this course. And, I also learned how disc golf SHOULD be played - much like a game of chess - thinking one or two throws ahead, and how to best navigate a hole based upon skill level, distance limitations, and the discs in your bag.

Personally, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I feel spoiled that Trojan is my home course. I feel even more spoiled that my home away from home course is the Mud. Two of the most beautiful and challenging courses in the NW. I love em.
                      TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

I like Trojan .. and I like that others like Trojan too. Keep going for it first shot .. if it isn't a birdie you didn't try hard enough!

Maybe I can become part of the nation!?!?

Comment

I feel the need to clarify my position on the paths/OB discussion.

At trojan, holes 3,5,6,7 have paths paralleling fairways and I play them as, on or over = OB. I'm pretty sure Jerry Miller designed the course with that in mind, however the TD has the final call.

All of the "old school" disc golfers I have ever played with play concrete (road or paths) as water/OB. So I've adopted that mind set. It may be unfair or random at times, but you should know where it is.

On the "random circles of OB in PDGA tourneys" topic. This has been implemented in tourneys here in the NW. Festivus and Triple shot elimination to name two. Usually the TD puts circles of OB in strategic places to make a hole more difficult or more of a risk/reward hole. In all the tourneys I've played where this was implemented I've liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            I'm with Sean Philips - I do not recommend this course to newer players. In fact, I actively discourage it.
                            I disagree, Trojan is a great place to learn to play. Trojan was the first 18 hole course I ever played and it frustrated the hell out of me at the beginning, but I was still hooked. Here are the reasons why.

1.) The place is dead most days. You will never get rushed by other groups. You can really take your time.
                            2.) If you do run into other disc golfers, they are always very cool. The first people I ran into out there were Mitch and Corey. Enough Said!
                            3.) When you do finally make that risky shot over the water, you are super stoked. Nothing feels beter when you first start playing, hell it still feels pretty good now.
                            4.) Trojan has a great mix of shots and hole lengths.
                            5.) Its one of the most beautiful courses in the state!
                            6.) Its got huge roomy tee pads!

My advise to beginners playing Trojan is to invest in a roll of string and floating plastic. May I suggest the dragon.
                            Current World Rank: 2857th
                            Lowest Rated Round: 777
                            Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                            Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                            Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                            Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                            Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                            Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

I really should put together a Trojan bag (even though I have only one disc out there {or in Brian's collection now}). Mitch, we need to talk about setting me up with the right floaters (and a Pocket Fisherman).
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                                We all lose disc's playing our sport and we expect to but with the volume of disc's lost in the water at Trojan I have to wonder is it worth it?

Bob
                                After reading everyones opinion (excluding Scott's) i think the answer to your original question is yes.
                                Not as creative as keys

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X