X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk/Reward and Trojan

In light of recent posts on here about lost disc's at Trojan I have to ask at what point does Risk/Reward shots at a disc golf course become detrimantal? We all lose disc's playing our sport and we expect to but with the volume of disc's lost in the water at Trojan I have to wonder is it worth it? I usually only play Trojan in competitive events because it ceases to be fun for me when it starts to cost $30 and up to play a round of golf out there. It is a beautiful park and some great looking holes but come on, how many discs is it worth? How many discs have the Trojan Nation found and returned? Micah found how many? 100 plus? Brian started a business out of it? How many were lost yesterday alone at Team Golf? I know the pond at Dabney gets a few in it but it is only one hole. At Trojan it is 'many' holes! I don't know what could be done to lessen the impact if anything or if I am the only one that feels this way and maybe nothing could be or should be done. Am I the only one that feels this way? I do know of one other Team Golf player that stated he would play Team Golf out there but wouldn't go out again other wise, so maybe there are others. Thoughts? Comments? What does everyone else think?

Bob

You can play Trojan very conservatively and not lose any discs. By that I mean that you have to be able to throw at least 50ft. And except for hole 10 where throwing to land is 180 ft. That takes all the fun out of though.

I'm bummed when I lose plastic at Trojan...but when I lose it I really lose it. On the flip side, when I hook up a risky shot, I'm pretty stoked about it. What a game...it's kinda like dating.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
      In light of recent posts on here about lost disc's at Trojan I have to ask at what point does Risk/Reward shots at a disc golf course become detrimantal? We all lose disc's playing our sport and we expect to but with the volume of disc's lost in the water at Trojan I have to wonder is it worth it? I usually only play Trojan in competitive events because it ceases to be fun for me when it starts to cost $30 and up to play a round of golf out there. It is a beautiful park and some great looking holes but come on, how many discs is it worth? How many discs have the Trojan Nation found and returned? Micah found how many? 100 plus? Brian started a business out of it? How many were lost yesterday alone at Team Golf? I know the pond at Dabney gets a few in it but it is only one hole. At Trojan it is 'many' holes! I don't know what could be done to lessen the impact if anything or if I am the only one that feels this way and maybe nothing could be or should be done. Am I the only one that feels this way? I do know of one other Team Golf player that stated he would play Team Golf out there but wouldn't go out again other wise, so maybe there are others. Thoughts? Comments? What does everyone else think?

Bob
      I like to bring a few dx discs. I like high 160s dx wraiths which seem to be found at half the tournaments we play. If I loose one it's not like Its a disc I have beat in just right and had for a while. I would have no fun playing Trojan with only my goto discs. It would take all the fun out of it.
      Current World Rank: 2857th
      Lowest Rated Round: 777
      Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
      Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
      Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
      Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
      Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
      Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

I think Trojan is a great course with fair fairways.
        You can play safe / smart at Trojan and walk away with every disc in your bag or go for it on some dangerous holes and maybe pay the price.
        The course demands well placed shots and rewards those who play smooth steady golf.
        The one walkout is unfortunate but other than that it has great flow.
        I recently asked my best friend (who was out here for two months) what course he missed playing most to which he answered Milo and Trojan. The first time he played Trojan he shot 3 down with a lost disc (because he tried to park a dangerous hole) and at the time had only been playing six months.
        Great flow, amazing holes, beautiful setting, big tee pads and to watch a course get into peoples head and make them throw shots they normally would never throw oh yeah i'm stoked to have that course near my home..
        p.s. all that goose sh_t does suck though.
        Cheers Mat
        Not as creative as keys

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
          You can play Trojan very conservatively and not lose any discs. By that I mean that you have to be able to throw at least 50ft. And except for hole 10 where throwing to land is 180 ft. That takes all the fun out of though.

I'm bummed when I lose plastic at Trojan...but when I lose it I really lose it. On the flip side, when I hook up a risky shot, I'm pretty stoked about it. What a game...it's kinda like dating.
          What kind of risky sluts are you hooking up with in your dating yo?!

Oh, shots! ....nevermind

Comment

I like Trojan, a lot. Yesterday was my first time playing with the paths being o.b. and that I did not like. It just made it way to hard for my liking to not be able to land over the path.

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
              I like Trojan, a lot. Yesterday was my first time playing with the paths being o.b. and that I did not like. It just made it way to hard for my liking to not be able to land over the path.
              Totally agree on the ob paths. The penninsula hole for us weak arms becomes very frustrating.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Caloch View Post
                What kind of risky sluts are you hooking up with in your dating yo?!

Oh, shots! ....nevermind
                Nice...very, nice!
                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

I don't play Trojan all that much (because I don't go anywhere all that much). I did notice that when I started playing safer/smarter, my scores immediately dropped. I'm a coward who hasn't lost a disc there since I lost my nerve.

BTW, and FWIW, I think making the paths OB would be chickenshit on that course. It's tough enough already.
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Heh, I'd always assumed the paths were OB...I guess that's what playing at Terrace, Lakewood, and White River will do to you.

Man, -3 on the first try, after only 6 months of playing? I'm sure your friend is cool, Mat, but I'm not sure if I like him.
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Heh, I'd always assumed the paths were OB...I guess that's what playing at Terrace, Lakewood, and White River will do to you.

Man, -3 on the first try, after only 6 months of playing? I'm sure your friend is cool, Mat, but I'm not sure if I like him.
                      The sun will shine on a dogs ass every once in awhile
                      Not as creative as keys

Comment

Yea, who claimed the paths ob, my understanding, from the designer, was that paths were not ob as the course had enough hazards.
                        educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                          Yea, who claimed the paths ob, my understanding, from the designer, was that paths were not ob as the course had enough hazards.
                          I think the paths OB started when the OR Series ran an event there. Prior to that, only the water and parking lots were OB.
                          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I had always played the paths on the first 6 or so holes as OB. I love the OB paths, makes the holes more "interesting" and it keeps discs away from walkers.

The loss of many discs is unfortunate, but I agree with others on this thread that if you play relatively safe you can get out unscathed. I play relatively safe every time I go there. Out of about 10+ times playing Trojan I've lost 3 discs (knock on wood). I play very safe on holes 8 and 11. I've watched a NW top player hit water with 4 discs in a row on hole 8.

I will say Trojan takes a certain level of play to be able to have fun. I have had beginer disc golf friends ask me about trojan and I usually tell them to play for 6 more months before we take that trip.

Comment

I pretty much always play a path as OB, just never played OVER a path as OB at Trojan.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X