X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Masters to Intermediate

I noticed that some Advanced Masters play some tournies in the intermediate what is the purpose of this when it looks like there is plenty of room in the Masters division why not leave that spot open for up and coming players to experience the tourny life. I believe once you have played a tourny as an advanced player it is up to you to get better and play at the level of the competition win or lose I would like to hear what others think of this.

Hey not to be "that guy" but can you please work on correct punctuation??
    To comment on your question, maybe the field competition is seen as too tough? Or mabe its a new course to them, so they would go to a lower field of players?? I have done this due to a back injury, however I've never won anything so it doesn't matter what level I register in.
    Last edited by Mikk; May 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM. Reason: fixed spelling error...
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

Comment

I will work on that when you spell maybe correctly just kidding. I don't think it is level of play since the RCO and BSF are two of the tournies they are playing MM1.

Comment

Neither of which offer intermediate divisions though, right?

Comment

You are correct but why move down when you are willing to play MM1 on the big stage.

Comment

They might be playing MM1 "on the big stage" just to get in on the experience of the big stage, or just for the players pack (i know the BSF has an AMAZING REP about their players pack)... I know plenty of intermediate level players that tried to get into the BSF... Heck, I even know a Rec player that was willing to play MA1, just to play in the BSF.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty B View Post
              I noticed that some Advanced Masters play some tournies in the intermediate what is the purpose of this when it looks like there is plenty of room in the Masters division why not leave that spot open for up and coming players to experience the tourny life. I believe once you have played a tourny as an advanced player it is up to you to get better and play at the level of the competition win or lose I would like to hear what others think of this.
              Here are two events (Great Northwest Open & Disc-Go-Ball) where all divisions played the same layouts in "nearly" the same conditions. It appears that MM1 players are closer in scoring to MA2 players than they are to MA1 players. Seems like a good fit to me, and the rules certainly permit them to play there.

-----MM1---MA2---MA1
              GNO--162---159---155---Division winner - Total strokes
              DGB--172---176---159---Division winner - Total strokes
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you all on that it is allowed but just more curious why not stay in that MM1 division to play against the better competition. It also leaves open spots for new players to gain valuable experience at the intermediate level.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty B View Post
                  I'm not disagreeing with you all on that it is allowed but just more curious why not stay in that MM1 division to play against the better competition. It also leaves open spots for new players to gain valuable experience at the intermediate level.
                  Look at the scores. Its not necessarily better competition in MM1. As for the experience issue. Sure, it is good to get good tournament experience, but just because someone is qualified to play masters they cannot be forced to play masters. It is their money, and they can sign up for any division they able to play within the rules. I could also argue that the Intermediate player could have signed up first if it was that important to him.

I think your argument seems more emotional than it is logical.
                  "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I can think of at least 1 event, recently (the Windy River Open), where the Adv Masters winner would not have made the top 10 in Int... Just because it is called Advanced Masters, doesn't mean the players are the normal "Advanced" level, it is the lowest age protected bracket. Obviously at the Windy, the Adv Masters players were not Advanced level players, actually most were barely Int. level

Comment

Originally posted by Jreynolds View Post
                      I can think of at least 1 event, recently (the Windy River Open), where the Adv Masters winner would not have made the top 10 in Int... Just because it is called Advanced Masters, doesn't mean the players are the normal "Advanced" level, it is the lowest age protected bracket. Obviously at the Windy, the Adv Masters players were not Advanced level players, actually most were barely Int. level
                      I agree advanced masters really should be called amateur masters because anyone who is a amateur can play in that division if they are over 40 there are no ratings requirements, or caps as long as a player is classified as an amateur. For example of the players who are registered for Am Worlds the lowest rated player is 801 & the highest is 975 on the men's side, and 655 is the lowest & 875 is the highest on the women's side. I don't think a player who is rated 801 would be considered an advanced man, and a player who is rated 655 an advanced woman.

Cindy
                      Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                      Stumptown #176
                      PDGA #37716

Comment

The PDGA agrees that the top end of Advanced Masters are (or should be) equivalent to Intermediate players. The ratings break for older pros to enter Advanced Masters is under 935, the same break the divides Advanced from Intermediate. Advanced Masters with ratings over 935 should really be considering entering Pro Master. But these days it's more likey there are more than enough players for an Advanced Masters division than Pro Masters in C-tiers.

Comment

I played Advanced Masters for a couple of years, usually right around the middle of the pack. When my game started going in the wrong direction, I moved to Int to re-evaluate my game and sort of recharge my batteries. I found that playing near the top card in Int put me around better players (opposed to playing the bottom card in MM1).

Comment

Sure, the Intermediate and Advanced Master divisions are about the same skill set, but there is more to the big picture. It's all about the tourney experience, right?

The Advanced Master division players are most likely seasoned disc golfers that lack the skills to compete in the Advanced Open division, but they know the rules, have proper etiquette, and are playing to have fun and to curb their competitive drive at a course that has been groomed for the tourney.

The Intermediate division players on the other hand, are mainly new to the competitive scene/sport and are still learning the game (skills and etiquette) and have the potential to play in the Advanced division once their game improves (not the case for the majority of the Masters division players).

Personally, I was looking forward the time when I turned 40 and could start to play in the Pro Masters division, but now after 12+ years of playing and promoting the sport of disc golf (not to mention a family and real job), I have realized and know that I don't have the time or mind set that it takes to compete at the professional level and will most likely stay an amatuer player for life.

I turned 40 this year, so watch out Advanced Masters players.

Comment

Originally posted by Yardbird View Post
                              Sure, the Intermediate and Advanced Master divisions are about the same skill set, but there is more to the big picture. It's all about the tourney experience, right?

The Advanced Master division players are most likely seasoned disc golfers that lack the skills to compete in the Advanced Open division, but they know the rules, have proper etiquette, and are playing to have fun and to curb their competitive drive at a course that has been groomed for the tourney.

The Intermediate division players on the other hand, are mainly new to the competitive scene/sport and are still learning the game (skills and etiquette) and have the potential to play in the Advanced division once their game improves (not the case for the majority of the Masters division players).

Personally, I was looking forward the time when I turned 40 and could start to play in the Pro Masters division, but now after 12+ years of playing and promoting the sport of disc golf (not to mention a family and real job), I have realized and know that I don't have the time or mind set that it takes to compete at the professional level and will most likely stay an amatuer player for life.

I turned 40 this year, so watch out Advanced Masters players.
                              Your post makes a great argument as to why a few Advanced Masters in MA2 can do quite a bit to help out MA2 players. They can show some of the newer guys the rules of the road without totally crushing their pride at the same time

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X