X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullseye,

Point taken, but I do that during casual rounds and fun events.

At PDGA tournies, I want to be able to come, play, and enjoy the experience without having to explain basic rules and etiquette to the players that should already know them. It's a distraction that experienced players shouldn't have to deal with while trying to play their best. I did my time in Intermediate to learn proper etiquette and the other quirks that go with competitive events.

Comment

Originally posted by Yardbird View Post
      Bullseye,

Point taken, but I do that during casual rounds and fun events.

At PDGA tournies, I want to be able to come, play, and enjoy the experience without having to explain basic rules and etiquette to the players that should already know them. It's a distraction that experienced players shouldn't have to deal with while trying to play their best. I did my time in Intermediate to learn proper etiquette and the other quirks that go with competitive events.
      Understood. Clearly you're not the type of player Scotty B was concerned about. You've moved on from MA2...

I guess my whole point in this thread was that there are some players who simply want to be competitive in whatever division they choose to play in, and why should we limit their options.

Bottom line: It is pretty hard to please everyone when everyone has different goals, objectives and expectations. Hopefully Scotty B doesn't think I was just being combative, its just that as both a player and a tournament director I have a different outlook on some issues. No disrespect intended at all.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I started playing around 92. I played 1 tournament the Fort Steilecoom Open and got my PDGA #12298. I then only really played once a year for a Thanksgiving day skins. This will be my 3rd season back. I have played a lot of tourneys now and I have bounced in between these two divisions a lot. I find myself either dead last in advanced masters or in the middle of Int. I know I'm not sandbagging at all. For me it also depends on if I have friends playing the same tournament I will play in their division to get the chance to be on a card. In the case of the BSF it's a privledge of age because I can kind of get 2 names in the hat. I'm planning on moving up next year. I have only 1 sanctioned win and it was at a very small 20 person event. I'm on the hunt this year but if it doesnt happen I'm going to move up anyway. My Rating for now is 854.
        www.rewindb.com

Comment

I sometimes play MA2. One reason is to be in a certain pool with other people. Sometimes to play in a bigger field with more people near my own rating. Sometimes to get away from people with to high of ratings. I've also passed up on MA2 because I didn't want to be the highest rated MA2 in the field. Sign up for whatever division you qualify for and just have fun. For me just playing well gives me the most enjoyment. I played my best rated golf in the worlds a couple of years ago. Didn't make the cut. Played mostly against higher ranking players. Had the time of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by CMC206 View Post
            I started playing around 92. .
            Doesn't this put you in the Legend Category?
            Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
            Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

Sure, the Intermediate and Advanced Master divisions are about the same skill set, but there is more to the big picture. It's all about the tourney experience, right?

The Advanced Master division players are most likely seasoned disc golfers that lack the skills to compete in the Advanced Open division, but they know the rules, have proper etiquette, and are playing to have fun and to curb their competitive drive at a course that has been groomed for the tourney.

The Intermediate division players on the other hand, are mainly new to the competitive scene/sport and are still learning the game (skills and etiquette) and have the potential to play in the Advanced division once their game improves (not the case for the majority of the Masters division players).

Personally, I was looking forward the time when I turned 40 and could start to play in the Pro Masters division, but now after 12+ years of playing and promoting the sport of disc golf (not to mention a family and real job), I have realized and know that I don't have the time or mind set that it takes to compete at the professional level and will most likely stay an amatuer player for life.

I turned 40 this year, so watch out Advanced Masters players.
              Well, I can play in the Advanced Grand Masters Division, so...get off my lawn!!
              Basket thieves

Comment

I appreciate everyone's responses. I just asked the question because I was reading the eternal sand bagger thread and it made me curious what others thought. I have taken my lumps in intermediate, MA1, and now prepare to receive more lumps in masters and along the way I have grown at each stop. I personally think it is all about the individual and what they want to sign up for the baggers will always be amongst us and I can only hope that when I play against them I will shoot lights out and leave them in my dust. I haven't had the chance to do this yet that I know of but my game improves with every round whether it is field work casual play with friends or in a tournament no matter what division. I look forward to playing with the masters this year an hope to gain even more knowledge by watching them on the course.

Thanks to all
                Scotty B

Comment

At PDGA tournies, I want to be able to come, play, and enjoy the experience without having to explain basic rules and etiquette to the players that should already know them.
                  And if players with ratings that qualified them to play MA2 actually PLAYED in MA2 then this wouldn't be a problem...but I have beaten this horse through all nine lives by now.

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Im 41.
                    www.rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by CMC206 View Post
                      Im 41.
                      Noted. I was actually trying to make a joke about you "starting around 92."
                      At age 92 you would be playing in the Legend Category.
                      This has not been the first time I was deemed un-funny.
                      Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                      Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

I am 49 and can play grandmasters, adv masters, open grandmasters, or Intermed or even Open if it's on my local course and my wife let me have my cajones that day.

I usually choose a division by who I want to play with. If Cajun is Adv Masters, I go to Grandmasters. If Getty is Grandmasters, I go back to Adv Masters......

and I too have many experiences of being deemed un-funny.

Comment

I'm not sure which is worse, your humor or your game. They both lack.

They need a division for people like you. I think they could call it MF1 or MF2...

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun View Post
                            I'm not sure which is worse, your humor or your game. They both lack.

They need a division for people like you. I think they could call it MF1 or MF2...
                            MF1? Moderately Funny One? (MF2; moderately funny as shit)

Comment

Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty B View Post
                                I noticed that some Advanced Masters play some tournies in the intermediate what is the purpose of this when it looks like there is plenty of room in the Masters division why not leave that spot open for up and coming players to experience the tourny life. I believe once you have played a tourny as an advanced player it is up to you to get better and play at the level of the competition win or lose I would like to hear what others think of this.
                                Not all tournaments work that way. Divisions are not always capped at any certain number of players. Often, there is just a maximum number of TOTAL players. People choosing one division do not "take a spot" from anyone else, registrations are just handed out, first come, first , serve, any division you wish, until the field is full. The number of players in each division is not set.
                                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X