X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight?

So, I feel my game is getting a bit better. My drives are longer, not long, but longer. I've been sticking to throwing pretty much lighter disc's, as close to 150 as I can. Would it make ANY difference moving up a bit in weight? Sometimes I feel like if there is just a little breeze my disc's don't go as far and that the wind is catching them and altering the drive and distance. Is it weight or just not enough 'snap' still on the disc at release?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Bob

Well Bob, as another old guy who throws lighter plastic I would say stick with it. When you notice that breeze make the adjustment at the throw, let that wind work for you rather than against you. That heavy stuff is for those young canons that need it for control. Match the weight to your power, for me that means I don't throw any drivers over 170. Any heavier and the power I need to get them out there means I sacrifice control. And you want control over power every time.
    J
    educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
      And you want control over power every time.
      J
      I would have to agree with that. The first time I played with J, I was amazed how far AND accurate he could throw with what appeared to be so little effort.

Comment

Hey Bob,

There is no doubt that the lighter the disc is, the more susceptible to wind. You will notice this much more in a head wind. That being said, a heavier wieght doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to throw farther. It does mean it will be able to penetrate wind with less altering and it generally means the disc will act more overstable than a light one.

People who use more arm speed and less "snap" (the ability to get the disc rotating) need the heavier plastic to keep it from turning over. I do think that once you start getting to a certain point of distance that it does help to have a littler heavier disc to keep the forward momentum going. If you are throwing with a tail wind the lighter disc has a great opportunity to go farther. In Japan I watched Avery throw a slight downhill shot with tail wind and he blew by the basket which was a mere 800 feet away, and it was a 150 class disc. At the same time, I know that either uphill or into the wind I felt that my distance was hindered by the lighter plastic.

I say at least get a slightly heavier version of you favorite driver and try it out. If you throw mainly Innova you can often find discs close to 160 in most of their molds. Discraft will be in the 165 range. These will give you a chance to see what may come from heavier plastic.

Have fun!

Scott Papa
        Team Discraft
        Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
          I would have to agree with that. The first time I played with J, I was amazed how far AND accurate he could throw with what appeared to be so little effort.
          I'm sorry. I was drinking last night. What I meant to say was "...how far and accurate he could throw for an old man..."

Comment

I'm sorry. I was drinking last night. What I meant to say was "...how far and accurate he could throw for an old man..."
            Now that is funny ... and true of course
            educate your thinking

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X