X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Golf Stimulus!

Did anyone else see the Wall Street Journal article mocking disc golf?

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...svc=7&cxcat=52

The article pokes fun at Austin Texas's proposal for stimulus money to build a $886,000 disc golf park! No, that isn't a typo Eight Hundred Eighty Six Thousand United States Dollars.

I'm getting stimulated just thinking about it!

2011 Deaf nationals is gonna be at Austin, i hope this is completed by then lol..

Comment

I love disc golf and all, but really?! I think that we are seeing what is wrong with government. How many jobs do they feel like that is going to create?
      Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
        I love disc golf and all, but really?! I think that we are seeing what is wrong with government. How many jobs do they feel like that is going to create?
        Create jobs, Maybe...But a new course definitely gives the unemployed something to do!

Comment

It was designed to be a pay to play, but come on what 36 hole course need 886,000 dollars to install. I am wondering if the money was to be used for infrastructure type enhancements like a parking area, bathroom, pavilions, pro shop etc.....
          PDGA #25296
          Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
            It was designed to be a pay to play, but come on what 36 hole course need 886,000 dollars to install. I am wondering if the money was to be used for infrastructure type enhancements like a parking area, bathroom, pavilions, pro shop etc.....
            Or purchasing the land for the park space? I have not read the article but it seems the only way possible to spend that kind of money on a course.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
              This would make the most sense.

Bob

Comment

Hehe, I've had all sorts of hits popping up in Google news alerts from "disc golf" being mentioned in an article--pretty much all of them criticizing the stimulus package saying something along the lines of "...and in Austin, TX, they want $886,000 to play frisbee!" Along with those proposals though, I think I saw something that was like $1.4 million for tennis courts. So in comparison, this complex is a bargain! Actually, come to think of it, maybe it's just a figure for use further down the road...asking for $50,000 to build a badass course might go over easier if they see that the last proposal was almost 18 times as much.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

orrrr they could be making man made ponds, streams, and every other possible design to make it a world class dg course. If 100 dg'ers went there every day and averaged $2 a person per day. That would be $1400 a week, $5600 a month, $67,200 a year... they could make some serious money if dg'ers paid up and there were 36 champ axe holes to play.

Comment

If they're doing all that, it would piss me off. I'd like the sport to stay 'low impact.' It's amazing how money corrupts just about anything it touches too heavily.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X