Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Distance Record Broken!!

From the PDGA website:

"On Friday, April 13th, 16 year old David Wiggins, Jr. launched a 134-gram Innova Blizzard Champion Boss high into the desert sky. When it returned to earth, spotters confirmed the disc had traveled 836’ (255m) and had broken the world distance record. A record that had stood untouched for nearly a decade."

http://www.pdga.com/new-world-record

How did I not hear about this until now?!?! Incredible (the throw, that is).

Originally posted by Kenny B View Post

How did I not hear about this until now?!?! Incredible (the throw, that is).
    Probably because you haven't been following this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      Probably because you haven't been following this thread.
      Yes, there it is. Thanks!

Comment

Maybe it is just my jealousy speaking (~400' distance), but what is the deal with these guys going out to find a big tailwind and calling it a distance record?

It is great that Wiggins Jr. did it with a moderate tailwind, but it seems much more legit if there was a defined MAX wind condition (like track records).

Opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by geo_ducks View Post
          Maybe it is just my jealousy speaking (~400' distance), but what is the deal with these guys going out to find a big tailwind and calling it a distance record?

It is great that Wiggins Jr. did it with a moderate tailwind, but it seems much more legit if there was a defined MAX wind condition (like track records).

Opinions?
          I've thought there were restrictions, but don't know for sure. I do know that I hear of people breaking the record but not getting credit. I don't know if it's a flat surface thing, documentation/measuring thing, or wind thing. e.g. didn't Dion "break" the record once, but not get it officially?

Comment

Dion threw 863 and hit a building.
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

From the World Flying Disc Federation page:

"Individual Events

Number of attempts for distance, MTA and TRC should be limited to no more than three sets of five on any one day. If there is doubt about the rules, it is recommended that the strictest interpretation be adopted. For any attempt, expert officiating by impartial witnesses is required.

Distance

The throw must be made over level ground. No noticeable degree of slope is acceptable. There is no restriction on wind level for the outdoor record. Measure to the nearest centimeter.

For roller distance attempts, the throw must roll on the ground for at least half of the total distance covered.

For upside-down distance attempts, the disc must be released with the top surface or crown of the disc facing the ground. It mus also travel the entire flight in that manner, including landing upside-down."

Comment

Originally posted by geo_ducks View Post
                From the World Flying Disc Federation page:

"Individual Events

Number of attempts for distance, MTA and TRC should be limited to no more than three sets of five on any one day. If there is doubt about the rules, it is recommended that the strictest interpretation be adopted. For any attempt, expert officiating by impartial witnesses is required.

Distance

The throw must be made over level ground. No noticeable degree of slope is acceptable. There is no restriction on wind level for the outdoor record. Measure to the nearest centimeter.
                "

This still rubs me the wrong way, it just doesnt make sense to me that they WOULD'NT have a restriction on wind levels. it would be cool to get guiness world records involved in these distance competitions and have them set some rulings on official records. they have a pretty darn good track record with dealing with world records and restrictions with said records.
                Team HOSER:dancing:
                Team OLY:cheerleader:
                Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                  Dion threw 863 and hit a building.
                  If I remember the discussion over that, wasn't it downhill?
                  We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                    If I remember the discussion over that, wasn't it downhill?
                    Yes, I believe it was a slight downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                      it would be cool to get guiness world records involved in these distance competitions and have them set some rulings on official records. they have a pretty darn good track record with dealing with world records and restrictions with said records.
                      Done. From the WFDF page: "The WFDF serves as a clearing house for all flying disc records for Guinness Superlatives Ltd. Prior to the printing of each edition, existing records for the various categories are forwarded to the Guinness offices for inclusion. They reserve the right, however, to print those records which they feel are best suited for publication."

Comment

huh, that is interesting. thanks scott.
                        Team HOSER:dancing:
                        Team OLY:cheerleader:
                        Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X