X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Golf (Vs.?) And The Gay Community

I am a Gay Man and also a long time Disc Golfer but something has been bothering me for quite some time but I've never really spoke about it openly and honestly before and I'm getting older and I've just stopped caring what people think of me or my opinions. () It seems like there is a tension between the two communities, I mean one of the big reasons in the beginning of how they got new courses (and still today but maybe less) was the promise of Disc Golf designers moving the cruisers (Gay Men) out of their parks. I've had 'old school' local players not only tell me this in person but boast about it.

I look at web pages like the one here and it hurts my soul to see this but I understand their feelings about it and a lot of it I agree with. My Gay friends can't believe it when they find out that I play the sport, it's like I just told them I don't love Lady Gaga or something. Seriously though they think I'm crazy. Now I've never had much issue being a Gay Man in the Disc Golf community other than a couple of people not being able to look me in the eye or telling me they love 'vagina' every four seconds just in case I forget I suppose, nothing I can't handle. Even on our own forums here (which is largely a liberal group if you don't mind me saying) we have homophobic comments such as in this thread

Now I'm not saying that people should be able to do sexual acts in public but it does seem like Gay Men are over targeted most of the time. I've actually seen more straight couples in our parks 'messing around' more than I've seen Gay Men. At this day in age I believe that everyone should be able to come of the closet and not have to resort to cruising in the parks anymore but again like I said there are just as many straight couples out there doing things and Straight people are never targeted. It does seem like there is still that 'old school' element hanging around and maybe some new conservative anti-Gay sentiment creeping in I don't know.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

I think the perception (if not the reality?) is that when parks are used for clandestine hookups with strangers, it's usually only men who are involved, and for obvious reasons: women tend not to hang around in isolated woods by themselves! I'd like to think that for most citizens, the objection is to the activities taking place, not the gender of the participants.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Silly,
      The DBs in the thread you mentioned... you don't really count them as people who count do you?
      Is it (gay bashing- lightly or otherwise) really an issue in the DG community? I'll defer to whatever your answer is....
      As evidenced by the thread you pointed out- it was only a couple of barely literate folks that would say such stupid things. Sure, a few is to many, but breeding is an inexact science.

But why can't gay people believe you play DG?
      (I had 2 or 3 good jokes to place here, but I wasn't sure if every one would get that they were jokes. One was about the way DGers dressed, another about sweat and the last about the fact that 90+% of DGers are male.)
      As a matter of fact, if most DGers weren't so damn ugly and dress so poorly, wouldn't most courses just look a bunch of gay men following each other around in the woods?
      (I had to try a joke.)
      What brought this thread on now? Aside from the 2 year old thread you linked?

I know that new DG courses can often help alleviate "undesirable" behavior in parks, but I hear about criminal activities and homeless camping, not stopping gay men from "cruising."

Oh- and who are you hanging out with when you play? Sounds like vagina hounds.

Comment

Thanks for having the courage to say something. There are idiots in every community, glad a few in ours haven't ruined it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
          Silly,
          The DBs in the thread you mentioned... you don't really count them as people who count do you?
          Is it (gay bashing- lightly or otherwise) really an issue in the DG community? I'll defer to whatever your answer is....
          As evidenced by the thread you pointed out- it was only a couple of barely literate folks that would say such stupid things. Sure, a few is to many, but breeding is an inexact science.
          I wouldn't say outright homophobia it's more subtle than that, like passive aggressive I guess you could say at least in my experience. I'm not saying poor me or something like that, the vast majority of disc golfers are really cool to me. I know there are other LGBT players that might have had a different experience than me, in fact I can think of a friend of mine who is a local Transgendered player who has had dealt with a lot of crap. Others might say that they've felt none, I can only speak for me.

But why can't gay people believe you play DG?
          I tell them I play and the reaction is usually "seriously?" although there are quite a few that have tried it but just aren't addicted like the rest of us crazies here.

What brought this thread on now? Aside from the 2 year old thread you linked?
          Something I've been thinking about recently. Some people don't believe things sometimes so I wanted to link to something that helped me out. I think the internet is probably the biggest outlet for these types of people. Most of them would never say things like that to a person's face and being anonymous on the internet helps you grow balls.

Oh- and who are you hanging out with when you play? Sounds like vagina hounds.
          It's happened a couple of times at tournaments when people have to play a round with me. That and having to work weekends has made want to stop playing tournaments sadly

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
            I think the perception (if not the reality?) is that when parks are used for clandestine hookups with strangers, it's usually only men who are involved, and for obvious reasons: women tend not to hang around in isolated woods by themselves! I'd like to think that for most citizens, the objection is to the activities taking place, not the gender of the participants.
            Straight couple messing around in the park: "Look at those crazy kids in love, hahaha"

Gay couple messing around in the park: "We need to get rid of the disgusting homosexuals who are performing lewd sex acts in our public parks"

You know that's how it goes most of the time.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I'm really glad I've brought these issues up as they never do come up and it's important for people to think about and discuss the many issues I've brought to light here.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I know here in Spokane the deep bush off 18 at Highbridge is called the Gay Bush. Which earned it's name through prostitution for drug use and money.

I can't say that I haven't heard a lot of derogatory comments directed at the homosexual community while disc golfing. Then again, I've heard lots of derogatory comments towards the homosexual community while shopping for bread.

I believe it's a fear of things that people don't understand. With that being said, I have issues with anyone doing lewd acts in public places. Especially when it's to support drug habits and bad spending.

Although if the senate and congress got out and started pleasuring the nation one penis or vagina at a time, we might have an American public that was happy about being hit in the tail pipe with no lube.

I didn't realize that disc golf was being targeted as an anti-homosexual group. That does not bode well for those of us trying to legitimize the sport.
                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                  Gay couple messing around in the park: "We need to get rid of the disgusting homosexuals who are performing lewd sex acts in our public parks"
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the objection is not to "couples" having a picnic.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the objection is not to "couples" having a picnic.
                    No my point was that if it's two Gay men messing around in public it's looked at completely different than a Man and Woman messing around in public.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                      No my point was that if it's two Gay men messing around in public it's looked at completely different than a Man and Woman messing around in public.
                      Yes, that's true; I'm just trying to say that what happens deep in the brush isn't typically "a couple messing around in public." I don't think people are happy to see their local park used by heterosexual cruisers either!
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Sorry to hear...

that people are making sexuality an issue in disc golf. That is just one more thing to add to the list of hurdles to overcome before we're considered a legitimate sport.

Illegal activity in any park that is used primarily (or even secondarily) for disc golf is going to get disc golf negative attention: littering, public urination, smoking pot, open container laws in public parks, and certainly indecent exposure (no matter the gender/sexuality/biological parts shown) are good ways to get a course or a park shut down and that is not in the best interest of the DG community. All of these activities have legal consequences attached to them and should be left at home for the betterment of all of our parks (disc golf or not).

Please keep in mind that homophobia and many "values" judgements would occur if the individuals were playing disc golf, hiking, ball golfing, playing baseball, or having a picnic... it has not been my experience that discgolfers are anymore homophobic than others. It's not right but like someone else already said "people are scared of the things that are different".

Thanks for having the courage to speak up and inform your fellow discgolfers of this issue. Awareness and education are the "different" peoples best friend.
                        FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

I've just heard about a couple of Pro DGers who are gay, so you are not alone out there Silly.
                          I think this topic is a parallel to the T. Martin thread in many ways.
                          it would be nice to tell you that the opinions of racists/homophobes don't matter, but because they sometimes act out violently we are forced to pay attention to their DBery.
                          Frankly, as someone NOT faced with prejudice, what drives me crazy are the "aware" folks who display no outward signs of homophobia/sexism/racism yet allow others to display their prejudices without speaking out against it. If you don't try to stop it (by speaking up) then you are part of the problem.

On a lighter note- I prefer not to see anyone having sex in the woods- and in nearly 50 years, never have. I've seen enough naked people to know most people don't look as good with their clothes off. Is this REALLY something folks encounter at their local DG course?

The simple fact is humans, and many other animals, are bisexual. Just like all races of humans originated from "black" races.

That's right- every one of you is part gay and black. Doesn't bother me. Does it bother you?
                          Last edited by Wes Hansen; April 8th, 2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I thought I was part gay Eskimo. Thanks for the clarification.
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

I'm worried about the numbers of monosexuals who are showing up on the courses these days.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X