Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... but what about us straight girls who listen to lady gaga?!? what about us? we have a right to be who we want to be and sing super silly lyrics like "gaga ooh-la-la rhumba rhum ba ba"... or however that actually goes...

seriously, tho, thomas... you are very brave and i am very glad that you have gotten the messages you have and i am pleased that the joking on the thread has stuck to just being silly and hasn't taken away from the topic nor demeaned it...

... and as far as discs and all the colors of the rainbow... i do prefer pink... but i love my blue star t-bird as much as my hot pink ittybitty blizzard katana and whatever color disc you may be it's just fine in my bag...

ummm... i apologize for that terrible metaphor... i have to go now and practice my putting...
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

You can hear Lady Gaga on the rewindb Radio. Better yet check out all of our interviews on demand. On the right hand sidebar just click under rewind content: DG World Scenario or listen to the entire show. Help us spread the word.. CMC

http://rewindb.com/category/dg-world-scenario/
      www.rewindb.com

Comment

I would suggest you filter your sources of information a little better before you get all riled up over some BS!
        Disc golf by day, Joe rogan podcast by night! All day!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          I would suggest you filter your sources of information a little better before you get all riled up over some BS!
          You keep focusing on that like it's all I ever said. I used it as an example that maybe the sport isn't so kind to LGBT people and that they are noticing. I said some of it I do or could agree with. The issue I've brought to light is that there is homophobia in the sport, it has been there since the beginning and continues to this day. I've felt it, other people have felt it. There are many LGBT players who remain in the closet within the sport for fear of discrimination, I know this because I know some of them and some of them have revealed this to me after I started this thread, many thanking me for being vocal about the subject in which no one else is willing to be vocal about.

You are obviously very ignorant to this problem and likely part of it judging by your posts.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Realy it would be great if people were more open minded (duh), there are many things we as the human race could be doing besides picking on those who are different. I just don't understand why, generaly speaking, that people single out other people for dumb reasons. We have all seen and done this, ALL of us and realy it just stinks...
            and i throw pink discs, does this bother you??
            Hukin since 1992
            DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              Of course there are probably homophobic people in the DG community but SO WHAT that's their problem right?
              I believe the point here is that the problem extends well beyond the border of the bigoted individual...
              'Weekend 4 Women':
              Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
              Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

BTW - isn't this one of the very topics that made Parks interwebz famous:

http://thegayshangout.blogspot.com/2...-wristers.html
                'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                  You keep focusing on that like it's all I ever said. I used it as an example that maybe the sport isn't so kind to LGBT people and that they are noticing. I said some of it I do or could agree with. The issue I've brought to light is that there is homophobia in the sport, it has been there since the beginning and continues to this day. I've felt it, other people have felt it. There are many LGBT players who remain in the closet within the sport for fear of discrimination, I know this because I know some of them and some of them have revealed this to me after I started this thread, many thanking me for being vocal about the subject in which no one else is willing to be vocal about.

You are obviously very ignorant to this problem and likely part of it judging by your posts.
                  Look man, you're going to get homophobia pretty much everywhere you go in this world, and that's an unfortunate reality that I hope we evolve out of as a species. People fear what they don't know or understand or they are locked into a pre programed way of thinking that is just ignorant.

I truly am sorry if you personally have felt any discrimination from the disc golf community ( or anywhere else for that matter) but I have personally found our PNW DG community to be one of the more progressive minded bunch of folks around.

I focused on that blog because if I am to believe that you read that and it "hurt your soul" it would seem to me that you are very impressionable and slightly detached from reality. Also you tend to make sweeping generalizations and assumptions,
                  HOW DARE YOU call me an ignorant homophobe

You need to find some peace in yourself brother

Try investing in a sense of humor it may keep you from assuming people like me are homophobic and that the disc golf community are out to get gay people.

Again 99.9% of people don't care who you stick your dick in, just be yourself.
                  Disc golf by day, Joe rogan podcast by night! All day!

Comment

Maybe I'm just blind to the issue, but is this really a thing? Yes, I'm sure bigotry exists towards GLBT in disc golf just as it does in all other walks of life.

Are you proposing that there is more bigotry in the disc golf community than in other areas?

Comment

I think it pops up more often or perhaps is just more salient in our community because many new courses are started with the parks dept. mindset of getting shenanigans (drug deals, hookups, homeless, hoodie-wearers, etc.) out of the park. This often leads to an "us versus them" mindset which pits disc golfers against others in the struggle for a potential new course - seems like a fairly natural progression by which this mindset could extend beyond the installation date. Not saying it is or isn't the case as I only have anecdotal data, but seems very plausible that this would be more likely in our group compared with others.
                      'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

I have probably become an anthrophobe. I fear the way many people think. I just don't understand them.
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
                          I think it pops up more often or perhaps is just more salient in our community because many new courses are started with the parks dept. mindset of getting shenanigans (drug deals, hookups, homeless, hoodie-wearers, etc.) out of the park. This often leads to an "us versus them" mindset which pits disc golfers against others in the struggle for a potential new course - seems like a fairly natural progression by which this mindset could extend beyond the installation date. Not saying it is or isn't the case as I only have anecdotal data, but seems very plausible that this would be more likely in our group compared with others.
                          I've seen disc golf used as a selling point for clearing out homelessness and drug use in a park, but never for homosexuality.

Comment

Maybe it is more of an East Coast thing, one of my absolute favorite all-time disc golf courses - Iron Hill - was installed for this very reason.

People's Park seems to be another similar example in Washington, although I am not versed in the history or details of that park...
                            'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Maybe it is more of an East Coast thing, one of my absolute favorite all-time disc golf courses - Iron Hill - was installed for this very reason.

People's Park seems to be another similar example in Washington, although I am not versed in the history or details of that park...
                              People's park WAS.... it kept being vandalized and buckets destroyed/thrown in the river... I wonder by who? It has now been put on the back burner due to other projects taking priority.

As far as this whole issue goes... I do feel you make some good points silly and I have no problem whatsoever with the GLBT community as a people in general and am against anybody discriminating against them, but I do have major issues with the way they go about "meeting" each other.

You said you have seen more straight couples messing around than gays in public, well I'm sorry but that just isn't true in Spokane. At least as far as the areas on or around our disc golf courses are concerned.

High Bridge (and People's Park when it was active) is the prime example. This area has long been known and proven to be a gay meetup spot for "crusiers" as you put it. Well as another has said, this is not something practiced by men and women looking to hook up. I play a lot of evening and night golf at High Bridge. And I can attest that as disc golfers begin to clear out, others quickly move in. The VERY poor road running through High Bridge park has ZERO reason to be driven on other than to access the park. Well people drive that thing nonstop in the evening hours into the night. I can't help but see that it is virtually entirely men driving back and forth back and forth. Huh. I find it quite humorous and sad at the same time. There is no denying that this is a place to look for drugs and/or sex. This is not ok. I am trying to get my family and young niece and nephew involved in this awesome sport and I sadly do not feel comfortable taking them to several of the places I love.

I personally have been approached by more than one person clearly not looking for a disc golf partner in the evening. So have my friends. Whatever.

I don't know what point I want to make in the end... but I do feel that if there is actually a higher level of negative talk among disc golfers about the gay community, well as long as they continue to do these types of things in and around our disc golf courses, they are just setting themselves up for that talk. I don't agree with that talk but I also don't agree with what is going on while I am trying to sink a putt.
                              -

Comment

BTW - isn't this one of the very topics that made Parks interwebz famous:
                                Wat? I'm not sure what you're referencing in regards to me.
                                We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X