X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
    In a "Rating Based" event...a player can ALWAYS play up.
    It just protects everyone from those who ALWAYS stay down.

Maybe I am just talking here and nobody is listening. I am proposing a strict ratings based way to divide the AM divisions in a PDGA tourney. Offer all AM divisions and make players play in the division where they qualify by rating or play Open which is available to all players.

Simple. Elegant. And it will guarantee smaller AM divisions due to the natural limit on the number of players. *A tourney shouldn't just treat the AMs as one division (with the gender and age protected sub divisions).*

*Due to the insane demand, I can see why the BSF doesn't include lower AM divisions. I'd hate to see how long a group of MA4 would take to get around that monster layout...

AND CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE DEROGATORY DIVISION NAMES?

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
      Offer all AM divisions and make players play in the division where they qualify by rating. . .
      Again, it makes no sense to prevent people from playing in a higher division. Kind of a personal choice sort of thing. There are PDGA guidelines which prevent people from playing down. And sometimes women and more seasoned players prefer to play in their own division and may not want to mix it up with the boys.

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
      AND CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE DEROGATORY DIVISION NAMES?
      Logic says we'd have to start using derogatory division names before we can stop.

So here are some ideas for division names that we can adopt and then stop using:

• Baggers
      • Donors
      • Whiners
      • Tantrum tossers
      • Whimps
      • Has-beens
      • Never will be's

I wonder which one I should sign up for first?

Comment

I freakin' love this thread!

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
        Logic says we'd have to start using derogatory division names before we can stop.
        Have you ever been at TC signing up players that don't know what division to play in? You ask them if they want to play in Rec or Novice and even though it is the first tourney they've ever played in they will choose to play in Advanced from only THE NAME of the division...

And don't get me started on the <880 rated player with 20 rounds under his belt playing in MA1...

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
        Remain ye men of faculty complete,
        Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
        Attending to our noble bond and contract?
        Or does here stand the last remaining man
        To give a fig for rules and order yet,
        No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
        Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
        Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Almost all of the so called baggers (970 and below)in advanced would be donating if they moved up to most of the pro fields just like the people complaining about the them. So why should they have to donate anymore than anyone else? If we made the division ratings a little higher and tighter there would be less bagging available.

Comment

Lower the entry fee's and have no payouts, with just the Top 3 place's getting Trophy's and a cool players pack for all in the Am Div's.
            "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Another point that no one has brought up is that most players in their first few years of serious play have dramatically lower (read as 20 to 50 points low) ratings then they deserve. They are improving too fast for their rating to keep up. PS. my rating was not much higher than 950 when I went PRO and I turned out fine. 950 sounds way lower then 980 but thats only three strokes on a par 54 course... nine strokes in a normal tourny... really not that much out of an average 160 or so.

Comment

I also think that ratings based divisions would be fun... especially if I got to play with some old guys or ladies shooting the same kind of scores that the power golfers I usually play with shoot.

two questions
                1) Ladies, do you want to play with the boys or do you prefer to get a chance to play with other ladies?

2) How big a factor do you think it is for most players that stepping up to pro is the first time that most serious golfers aren't really likely to cash? Read as how big a factor is the financial part?

PS I would love to play with more ladies who are serious about their games and I would also be fine with just getting a sweet players pack and trophies even though I play open. I have a real job to make money, competing is mostly about pride and pushing myself for me.

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
                  Lower the entry fee's and have no payouts, with just the Top 3 place's getting Trophy's and a cool players pack for all in the Am Div's.
                  This.

Comment

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man. I also concur, sometimes con carnť.
                    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude, 1998.

Comment

...and a cool players pack for all in the Am Div's.
                      Would there be also be an uncool players pack for other Divs?
                      Last edited by Ol' Bob; April 14th, 2012, 08:11 AM.
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                        Would there be also be an uncool players pack for other Divs?

yep just a used brake pad,a 1/2bottle of water, and a pack of unsweetened koolaid
                        "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

yep just a used brake pad,a 1/2bottle of water, and a pack of unsweetened koolaid
                          A good reason to move down! (Gotta be cool )
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

We have talked about limiting a double jump up in divisions unless the ratings division above yours was not offered. That would at least prevent Intermediate rated player from jumping to Open or Rec player jumping up to Advanced (unless Intermediate wasn't offered - unlikely). Just discussion, no formal proposal pending.

Comment

Why in the world would you even consider limiting how far UP you can play? When the problem is bagging below your skill level
                              rewindb.com

Comment

With all the emphasis ON winning, ON bragging rights, and yes all those who still have difficulty differentiating between on course and off course self worth it's a wonder there are upper divisions at all. I don't have to run faster than the bear...just faster then YOU...ah the competitive side of disc golf. Ah competition, it garners quite the load of flotsam and jetsam.
                                educate your thinking

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X