Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
    Good advice Sam.

OK, that's it! Gawain and I are going to take the MA2 division by storm from now on...

On a serious note, this thread really makes me want to run a ratings-based event.
    Excuse my ignorance; can someone outline what a ratings-based event looks like?
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
      Pretty similar to a regular event, but everybody plays exactly where their rating says they should:

<900 = Rec
      >900, <935 = INT
      >935 = Adv

Etc....

Comment

Just curious, but does anybody play disc golf for fun anymore?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post

Bob
          I don't now about down there in Orygun, but we have a county ordinance here against having fun.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
            See this thread: http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1156

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Can you show me where it says that 935 is the cut-off for Advanced Masters? This is totally news to me.
              I don't recall ever referring to it as a cut-off. I would say it is a guideline. Basically, it suggests that the brackets are:

Here is the link: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...GridTable3.pdf

MM1 appears twice in the chart.

for Ams, it says "any" (rating)
              for Pros, it says "<935"

this would suggest that the "cut-off" as it were, would be: 935.

My point to the PDGA is: if a Pro must be rated below 935 to play MM1, why should a 1,000,000-rated Am be allowed to play MM1?

Players seem to fall in two categories: those that maximize the spin of their interpretation of the non-rules to their own benefit, and those who interpret the essence of the guidelines' intent, to create divisions evenly divided ("protected") by skill level, as well as age, and gender. Believe me, if I were ever to somehow fight my to 935+, I would move right up (a promise I feel safe I will never have to keep, having never achieved it before, and certainly not getting any younger or better ).

By leaving the line blurry, the PDGA creates the perfect divide for a debate, for which this forum would seem the perfect venue.
              Last edited by TreeLove; April 5th, 2012, 10:33 PM.
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                Gawain,

You made some very good points, so I did split this off into its own discussing worthy thread.

I hope you don't mind.

Jeeff
                Not at all. I have some regrets about the post, and one of them was dirtying up the BSF thread with it, so I am actually glad it was moved, thank you. I didn't get to select the subject (I guess I should have put one in my post), but I think you did fine (though I am depressed by the use of the term "eternal").

The other was the graphic nature of my comparison, exaggerated for effect.

Yep, that's it. Sorry for those two things.
                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I thought ratings-based events look more like this....
                  Player A = 1000 rating
                  Player B = 900 rating
                  Course SSA = 1 strokes per 10 ratings points.
                  PLAY.
                  Player B gets 10 strokes per round on Player A.
                  I thought that was what it meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
                    I thought ratings-based events look more like this....
                    Player A = 1000 rating
                    Player B = 900 rating
                    Course SSA = 1 strokes per 10 ratings points.
                    PLAY.
                    Player B gets 10 strokes per round on Player A.
                    I thought that was what it meant.
                    Thanks for sharing your delusion with us Wes.

Comment

No, seriously. I thought Jordan's TDG model was PDGA ratings based/handicapped.

Comment

To answer the OP, the MM1, MG1, etc were created to "protect" those over 39 from younger Amateurs and from "pros." To get "protection" from those who are better amateurs regardless of age, we have the unisex, non-age based, ratings break amateur divisions MA4 thru MA1 as an option for all amateurs of any age.

Not only would MM2 and MG2 divisions be redundant, it would require the PDGA to add lower tier divisions for every age based division for "fairness" regardless if they barely have enough players in their current Advanced version.

To run a ratings based event, you can just offer Open, MA1, MA2, MA3, MA4 plus Int and even Rec Women if you have enough. Upon getting a "rubber stamp" waiver from the PDGA office, you can require Ams with ratings above 969 to enter Open and they can take any winnings as merch to retain am status. There's no option for male players with ratings below 800 to enter Int or Rec Women. However, there are few men there and they can enter MA4. Or if it's several Juniors, you could just hold their Junior division for those under 800.
                        Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; April 6th, 2012, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Bob
                          This!
                          'Weekend 4 Women':
                          Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                          Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Maybe we should all just get our own skill-restricted divisions of one - everyone will be a winner!

Gold stars will be awarded to all competitors to let you know that you done good at the tournament...
                            'Weekend 4 Women':
                            Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                            Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Bob
                              Yes! I do! Especially when its a great event such as the Pretzel Bowl!

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                                Sheesh........Being a "Touring Pro" (or not) has NOTHING to do with the ability to play AM.

It all comes down to a players rating (The "prez" certianly should know that)

This document from pdga.com tells all..
                                http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...sionGrid_0.pdf

ANY Pro player.....with a rating below 970 can play in the Advanced division of an A tier and below.

thank you, and everyone else, for taking the time to respond. as always for me, "correct me if im wrong" was my preface (not to be confused with shove it im my face...). i am merely trying to gain a better understanding of the rules. I go off of the rule book and the interpretation of the rule book as presented to me by trusted and well respected individuals. i feel like through this discussion i have done that, i have read further for myself into the touring pro's page and in the competition manual and have not personally seen anything stating specifically on touring pro restrictions.
                                Last edited by XandorF; April 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM. Reason: hope everyone has a great day, especially mat... youve got a hug comin your way next time we see eachother buddy

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X