Somewhat Coherent Rant Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Somewhat Coherent Rant

    So I was REALLY bored at work today and one of my co-workers asked my why I play disc golf so much. It was too complicated to give him a short answer so I composed a slight essay about it. I've not proof read it but I feel the sentiment behind the essay will ring true to a lot of die hard disc golfers. So here we go, this should be interesting to see responses on.

    Stuart
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

  • #2
    I haven't read it, yet, but I was wondering if they were hiring were you work?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
      I haven't read it, yet, but I was wondering if they were hiring were you work?
      Nope. That would be great though, I need more disc golfers in this building to help convince the owners to support the local tournament scene.
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice rant. I can totally relate to a lot of it.

        Comment


        • #5
          I call it possessed by plastic obsessed by chains.

          Every time you here the chains a disc golfer gets their wings.

          I will do this till i die.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks, it made me smile. But the disc golf babies thing was awkward.
            PDGA# 49616
            Stumptown# 353
            OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

            Comment


            • #7
              Fun read, thanks for posting.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thank you General Scales ~

                I'm with Big dawg 99 ~ "I will do this till I die"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Excellent article Stu. Clearly heartfelt and quite well written I must say. Some sentiments I can easily relate to, some not yet. Regardless, I'm stoked you are in this for as long as your body will allow you to throw because I still look very forward to hucking a round with ya!
                  -

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A good read. Thanks for sharing.
                    Putting......heh...EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I love it. I know that feeling of DFL, i've had the opportunity to do that a couple times in my short career. But I also know that feeling of cashing or even winning, and that makes it all worth it. I wonder what it is about good golfers not doing well in tournaments.
                      Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        stuart,

                        read these books:

                        Golf in the Kingdom, Michael Murphy

                        Follow the Wind, Bo Links

                        And if You Play Golf, You're my Friend & For All Who Love the Game, Harvey Pennick




                        i like to say, some people take prozac, i play disc golf. it is a soul match, isn't it? your reasons are somewhat different than mine (i think in just the way perhaps, that you express them), but the passion and love is the same.

                        regarding the golf babies thing... my two best and dearest girl friends have become (wonderful) mothers in the last few years, their motherhood following the same timeline as myself in becoming much more "serious" about my game ("serious" meaning dedicated, driven & focused... also, practicing... ) and we have, the three of us, had many conversations about the sacrifices that they happily and willingly make for their children and how fulfilled they have become... and i, with a completely straight face and in complete earnestness, will discuss the sacrifices i happily and willingly make for the good of my golf game... yes, disc golf is indeed akin to a baby... nothing awkward about it...
                        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                          stuart,

                          read these books:

                          Golf in the Kingdom, Michael Murphy

                          Follow the Wind, Bo Links

                          And if You Play Golf, You're my Friend & For All Who Love the Game, Harvey Pennick




                          i like to say, some people take prozac, i play disc golf. it is a soul match, isn't it? your reasons are somewhat different than mine (i think in just the way perhaps, that you express them), but the passion and love is the same.

                          regarding the golf babies thing... my two best and dearest girl friends have become (wonderful) mothers in the last few years, their motherhood following the same timeline as myself in becoming much more "serious" about my game ("serious" meaning dedicated, driven & focused... also, practicing... ) and we have, the three of us, had many conversations about the sacrifices that they happily and willingly make for their children and how fulfilled they have become... and i, with a completely straight face and in complete earnestness, will discuss the sacrifices i happily and willingly make for the good of my golf game... yes, disc golf is indeed akin to a baby... nothing awkward about it...
                          Thanks Emma and everybody else. I have read Follow the Wind and found it to be intriguing. The other books will have to be on my read list. Funny how I was going to be a journalist when I was younger until I realized that the written word is a dying form of communication.
                          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                          Cleveland Brown

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Simmeltron View Post
                            Excellent article Stu. Clearly heartfelt and quite well written I must say. Some sentiments I can easily relate to, some not yet. Regardless, I'm stoked you are in this for as long as your body will allow you to throw because I still look very forward to hucking a round with ya!
                            I am also looking forward to hucking with you. I'm playing Four Mounds on Sunday if the weather holds out. Perhaps we meet up there and play some Jumanji? Send me a PM as my phone is dead and I refuse to reconnect to Cricket. We'll work something out brother!
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                              I am also looking forward to hucking with you. I'm playing Four Mounds on Sunday if the weather holds out. Perhaps we meet up there and play some Jumanji? Send me a PM as my phone is dead and I refuse to reconnect to Cricket. We'll work something out brother!
                              Will do!!
                              -

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X