Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing through?

Scenario:
    You are in a group of 5 players playing golf on an OPEN course (a course that is not closed for an event). You notice that a twosome is following closely and watching you tee off for a few consecutive holes.

Question:
    If the twosome finally asks to throw-down with your group in order to play-through, what is your response?

Etiquette:
    Should the twosome just relax and not attempt to play through?
    Should the group of five just let the group of two through?

Does it matter if there are a lot of other large groups on the course that the twosome will have to navigate?

I will let a 2some play through, only after the 5some has teed off, that way the 2some can continue to play through. This seems to be the best idea for me anyways..
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

Comment

Let the twosome play through, of course. Newer players tend to have a rougher time with this.

Generally speaking, I think courtesy in this area is becoming more common. I tend to throw a lot of solo rounds and have run into this a lot - more often than not the group ahead of me will wait and offer to let me play through without even asking.

The one exception - when I'm golfing with my son (12 years, pretty small guy - looks younger than he is) groups almost never want to let us through. There is an assumption that playing behind a kid will really slow them down. They usually change their mind after they see him bomb a couple of shots 300' out there.

Comment

I always let smaller groups play through unless my group has been consistently waiting on the group in front of them (read as Dexter is so packed that everybody is waiting)

Comment

I can't believe there's even a question here; of course you let them play through.

Easiest way is to have all seven of you tee off at once, then let the twosome finish the hole.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I will always offer to let them play through regardless if there is other large groups ahead of the group I am in.
            10/4 5PM START Carnation weekly Random Doubles every Thursday untill we cant see our discs flying anymore. All info in the link http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8788

Comment

I was thowing a solo round and had 2 guys with ultimate discs ask me to play through. I laughed and said Uh No! Otherwise I always let peeps play through unless there are groups of 5,6,7 on every tee on the course like Northpark usually is.
              www.rewindb.com

Comment

Let them play through. Tee with them and finish with them. You'll get to meet many more new people.
                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post
                  Scenario:
                  You are in a group of 5 players playing golf on an OPEN course (a course that is not closed for an event). You notice that a twosome is following closely and watching you tee off for a few consecutive holes.

Question:
                  If the twosome finally asks to throw-down with your group in order to play-through, what is your response?

Etiquette:
                  Should the twosome just relax and not attempt to play through?
                  Should the group of five just let the group of two through?

Does it matter if there are a lot of other large groups on the course that the twosome will have to navigate?
                  I would have asked them if they wanted to play through the first time they caught up to me at the tee, given that they are moving faster, and regardless of who else is on the course that they may have to play through. It's proper etiquette AND I much prefer to have them in front of me and not behind me at every tee box.

I play a lot of solo rounds and have no problem asking to play through, but nothing ticks me off more than the big group who not only never offers, but continues to throw multiple tee shots, and then saunters off down the fairway as soon as I catch up to them at the tee. People are almost always willing to let me play through when I ask, and I always ask politely, tell them I'll be quick, hustle to clear the hole without rushing myself, and say thanks when I am done.

Proper etiquette is too often neglected, even by people who should know better. This past weekend during the WVWS event at Dexter a group of two women and a four or five year old was on the not reserved course the same time as the tournament was taking place. They easily caught up to my foursome and I suggested we let them play through because: A. they were playing faster than us, B. I didn't want them behind us at every tee, and C. I'd like beginners, women and kids to have a good time and not see tournament players as inconsiderate jerks with bad etiquette.

They took a bit longer than a more experienced threesome to play the hole, but no longer than the tournament group ahead of us who was also playing slowly. As we approached the next tee, we were questioned by the group ahead of us as to why we let them play through and I offered my personal rationale. They had let them continue to play through as well but seemed miffed to have to do so "because you guys did". No big deal, the round was moving quickly overall and it was a nice day, everybody relax and have fun, right?

Wrong! A member of the group 2 HOLES in front of us decided that the kid or someone in the group we let play through had somehow disturbed him on the adjacent fairway in the midst of all his intense concentration and incredible skill. After yelling at the two beginner women and the four year old he proceeded to yell at the top of his lungs at both my group and the group in front of us about our "HORRIBLE DECISION"!!!!! and then stalk off to his next hole like a petulant pre-teen with a full diaper.

All this during a non-sanctioned winter series tournament moving quickly on a beautiful morning on a course open at the time to anyone who wanted to play it. A few holes later, as the two women and the four year old were again waiting on a slower moving tournament group in front of them, the group in front of us insisted that they now be allowed to play through the smaller, faster group because they "paid to play here today". This was told to us by the now frustrated and angry woman who had cheerily thanked us and asked us about the tournament as we let them play through a few holes earlier. She said that they had been treated rudely by several groups of us and was really surprised because the only other tournament she had experienced was the Eugene Celebration when she had a great time playing in her first tournament. Here was someone getting into disc golf and bringing a friend and a child out to check it out.

Well, we really showed her didn't we? Rather than just let the smaller, faster group of beginner women and a four year old play through and get out of everyone's way as quick as possible since they were playing faster than all the tournament groups, and the course wasn't closed to the public, we successfully made them feel ill-treated, unwelcome and anxious and destroyed the good will we had previously established.

I hope they accepted our sincere apology on behalf of the tournament and players and won't hold it against the sport or the club or scene. And I hope the d-bag with the temper and lack of skill grows up.

/rant off
                  Last edited by Matt B.; February 17th, 2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                    I would have asked them if they wanted to play through the first time they caught up to me at the tee, given that they are moving faster, and regardless of who else is on the course that they may have to play through. It's proper etiquette AND I much prefer to have them in front of me and not behind me at every tee box.

I play a lot of solo rounds and have no problem asking to play through, but nothing ticks me off more than the big group who not only never offers, but continues to throw multiple tee shots, and then saunters off down the fairway as soon as I catch up to them at the tee. People are almost always willing to let me play through when I ask, and I always ask politely, tell them I'll be quick, hustle to clear the hole without rushing myself, and say thanks when I am done.

Proper etiquette is too often neglected, even by people who should know better. This past weekend during the WVWS event at Dexter a group of two women and a four or five year old was on the not reserved course the same time as the tournament was taking place. They easily caught up to my foursome and I suggested we let them play through because: A. they were playing faster than us, B. I didn't want them behind us at every tee, and C. I'd like beginners, women and kids to have a good time and not see tournament players as inconsiderate jerks with bad etiquette.

They took a bit longer than a more experienced threesome to play the hole, but no longer than the tournament group ahead of us who was also playing slowly. As we approached the next tee, we were questioned by the group ahead of us as to why we let them play through and I offered my personal rationale. They had let them continue to play through as well but seemed miffed to have to do so "because you guys did". No big deal, the round was moving quickly overall and it was a nice day, everybody relax and have fun, right?

Wrong! A member of the group 2 HOLES in front of us decided that the kid or someone in the group we let play through had somehow disturbed him on the adjacent fairway in the midst of all his intense concentration and incredible skill. After yelling at the two beginner women and the four year old he proceeded to yell at the top of his lungs at both my group and the group in front of us about our "HORRIBLE DECISION"!!!!! and then stalk off to his next hole like a petulant pre-teen with a full diaper.

All this during a non-sanctioned winter series tournament moving quickly on a beautiful morning on a course open at the time to anyone who wanted to play it. A few holes later, as the two women and the four year old were again waiting on a slower moving tournament group in front of them, the group in front of us insisted that they now be allowed to play through the smaller, faster group because they "paid to play here today". This was told to us by the now frustrated and angry woman who had cheerily thanked us and asked us about the tournament as we let them play through a few holes earlier. She said that they had been treated rudely by several groups of us and was really surprised because the only other tournament she had experienced was the Eugene Celebration when she had a great time playing in her first tournament. Here was someone getting into disc golf and bringing a friend and a child out to check it out.

Well, we really showed her didn't we? Rather than just let the smaller, faster group of beginner women and a four year old play through and get out of everyone's way as quick as possible since they were playing faster than all the tournament groups, and the course wasn't closed to the public, we successfully made them feel ill-treated, unwelcome and anxious and destroyed the good will we had previously established.

I hope they accepted our sincere apology on behalf of the tournament and players and won't hold it against the sport or the club or scene. And I hope the douchebag with the temper and lack of skill grows up.

/rant off
                    Remind me to bring you a water bottle with "icewater" on a hot day again. Thank you!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post

Nice, thoughtful post Matt. Makes the forum worth reading. Thanks!

Comment

Simple. If someone is playing faster, offer to let them play through. If the course is packed they are the ones who will have to deal with it. Does it really affect your round?

I also play a lot of solo rounds. I find more often than not I am offered to play through. Most of the time I decline and follow a larger group to pace myself. I still appreciate the sentiment and try my best to show an appreciation for the opportunity. A few times I have declined and am offered again and accept the offer.
                        "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

I will always let a faster group (or single) play through. The exception is what you mentioned - if the next few holes all have larger groups on them I wouldn't offer to let them play through. When the course is packed smaller groups just have to deal with it or jump around holes if they're in a rush.

Comment

I will always let faster players play through, even if there are groups on several holes up ahead. Once you've let them play through, they're no longer your problem (being a distraction).
                            Basket thieves

Comment

I WILL ALWAYS LET SMALLER GROUPS PLAY THOUGH ITS JUST THE RIGHT THING TO DO.EVEN IF I OWNED MY OWN DISC GOLF EMPIRE. I WOULD ENVITE PEOPLE TO PLAY THOUGH. POSITIVE PRACTICE POSITIVE RETURN THATS WHAT OUR SPORT NEEDS MOST OF ALL.THEN WELL GET A GREAT RETURN:

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X