X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rolly View Post
    It is difficult to jump and then putt while airborne. Try it. Seriously, go and try releasing after all feet have left the ground. It is inaccurate and not very fluid.
    If you have spent a lot of time practicing basketball jump shots then it can be hard to not jump when first learning the straddle putt. Pretty sure I don't lose any accuracy while airborne especially when my release point is a foot or two closer to the basket, but luckily that is a terribly obvious violation so I don't have to worry about the grey.

I straddle everything outside of the circle up to about 50-60 feet and I always line both feet up along the perpendicular line facing the basket. Make a + in the dirt from your mark on the ground and don't move your non disc any closer to the basket. Just make sure your disc foot is on the ground when you release.

Many people mistakenly believe your non disc foot needs to be farther away from the basket than your disc foot, but the rule is that it can not be any closer than your disc foot. If your feet are square along that perpendicular line than you are legal, just don't inch it closer. If anyone questions your legallity show them the perpendicular line and ask if they have a protractor or Tsquare in the bag.
    Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedisc View Post

Hey Flash--this sparked a question or two that I thought I had answers for, but now I'm not so sure.

1. When someone is throwing out of a rough area, perhaps from within a bush or densely limbed tree, can the player "follow through" with the disc in hand (before release) if the disc pushes a leaf or limb out of the way during the throwing motion? I've seen people push weeds, berry vines or even branches that are in front of their marker out of the way as they throw and release--is that illegal?

2. Would the above act be more or less legal if it was the players arm, hand or head (!) that makings contact with the attached greenary? Again, assume the tree limb (or whatever) is connected to the ground and or in front of the marker....

Thanks!
      J
      Jason,

Here is how I see that situation,

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off:

D. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course.

803.05 Obstacles and Relief:A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, picnic tables, etc), which is considered part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play. A player must choose the stance which results in the least movement of any obstacle. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

If someone is moving an object purposely during their throwing motion AKA practice motions before they throw I would say its an illegal throw, if contact is incidental when they actually throw the disc then its a legal throw.
      PDGA #25296
      Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Simmeltron View Post
        The way I understand it, Dave faulted on his putt at 7:20
        nikko's putt was the one that i had questions on. dave DID NOT fault on that putt. that i have no question about.
        what is it exactly that you understand? why do you think he faulted? please elaborate.
        He has putts like this multiple times every round... you think if he was faulting that people would call him out on it? right? so either all the other pros believe that hes doing it right (not faulting), they dont care, or theyre too afraid to say anything and call him out. only one of those 3 options seems to make sense to me.
        if you slow the video down it is clear to me that the disc leaves his hand well before his foot meets the ground.

Comment

Looking again at the video, watch Cale @ 7:12, could be the angle but the knee looks forward too..
          "Remember boys this ain't therapy"-Jub.
          PDGA # 42821
          Push-ups owed to: thebakedone 1,856.

Comment

Originally posted by XandorF View Post
            nikko's putt was the one that i had questions on. dave DID NOT fault on that putt. that i have no question about.
            what is it exactly that you understand? why do you think he faulted? please elaborate.
            He has putts like this multiple times every round... you think if he was faulting that people would call him out on it? right? so either all the other pros believe that hes doing it right (not faulting), they dont care, or theyre too afraid to say anything and call him out. only one of those 3 options seems to make sense to me.
            if you slow the video down it is clear to me that the disc leaves his hand well before his foot meets the ground.
            My bad, I don't claim to know all the rules. Have only been explained them by people who claim to be qualified officials. I was told that the disc must leave his hand before he left the ground, not before he touched back down.
            SDGA PR Guy.... bringing the Public to the Relations... or the Relations to the Public?

Comment

The disc must be released before his foot planted behind the disc leaves the ground, and prior to any point touching in front of the lie.

This is kind of a tough call as far as the rule goes IMO... it's very hard to discern whether a player has faulted at times, especially with the naked eye. If they changed the rule to allow a player to leave her/his feet prior to releasing the disc, we'd end up with players long-jumping 15 foot slam dunk style putts. I straddle jump putt, and I would venture to guess that I have foot faulted a time or two. I always try to honor the rule, and I've never been called on it, but have been warned that it was 'close' a couple times over several years-- it never became an issue, so I continue to use it.
              Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

The pro that I have the hardest time believing with a putt jump is Ulibarri. Now I know that many people have seen his putt and I consider it on the borderline callable every time.
                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X