Summertime Hornings' Hideout League - Friday Evenings! (Starting 4-20-2012) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summertime Hornings' Hideout League - Friday Evenings! (Starting 4-20-2012)

Howdy folks,

I am putting this on NWDGN first in order to get the word out to the local players and supports alike that a group of west side discers have decided to organize a spring/summer/fall league at Hornings' Hideout to start this April. This will be a Friday evening league that will run through the early fall and end as to not interfere with the winter leagues (Slosh Series, Ect.)

So many of you may be asking why the west valley might need another disc league. Here is what defines the league we are setting up from others:

1. Three courses to play on a random basis. The course that will be played will have been chosen randomly during the player meeting prior to teeing off.

2. Hornings' offers the ability to be challenged by the course design. Too many players complain about the ease of playing at Greenway and Orchard.

3. Last year the Hillboro parks department banned all smoking and alcohol at all parks. While most people do not drink while playing tournaments, many folks do enjoy the ability to have a cold beer after work while playing a round of golf on league night. This is not going to be a PDGA sanctioned event series, and we will not be abiding by the current PDGA 'no-tobacco' policy. We feel that the majority of players that will be attending this league will not only be adults, but have the common sense to know right from wrong.

4. We are going to be doing an ongoing points run for the year end championship. The year end championship prize will be a cash prize that will be accumulating throughout the year. $1 of each persons entry (each week) will go into the year-end championship pot to be split between the winners. There will also be prizes provided by our sponsors that we've got on board so far.

5. The weekly entry fee will be $10. $3 of it goes to Hornings, $1 goes to the Championship prize, $1 to the weekly ace pot, $1 to the weekly CTP, and the remaining $4 will be the weekly pot split between the top 5-10 places (depending on how many players show up per week).

6. If we get enough support and participation, we would have enough space and golf holes to run a multi-tier system of play if the need ever presented itself.

Of course, there are many things yet to do before we are ready to tee off, so if you feel this might be something you are interested in, please feel free to PM me about information and if you would like to volunteer to help organize and/or help run the league nights please email me at clancy.adams@gmail.com so that I can add you to our mailing list.

And yes, Mr. Bob Horning is already on board!

Clancy

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Comment

Originally posted by blu666z View Post
      I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
      It isn't so much a newsletter as it is a list for group emails and scheduling during the organization of the league. If you'd like to be on the list, please forward me your email address.

Comment

What about those of us who are holders of a Horning's yearly pass? Entry would be seven then?
        educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
          What about those of us who are holders of a Horning's yearly pass? Entry would be seven then?
          Absolutely. Being a pass holder myself, this is something that has been affirmed from the get go.

Comment

What time will this be starting?
            What is the format? Singles I assume? Multiple divisions, or handicapped? If divisions, which ones?

Comment

I like the idea of playing a random/voted for course, but what if the course from the previous week was excluded so you'd never play the same course in back-to-back weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                What time will this be starting?
                What is the format? Singles I assume? Multiple divisions, or handicapped? If divisions, which ones?
                The start time still has yet to be voted on by the group as of yet. I would assume that it would be very close to the start times at other evening leagues such as Tuesday Twos. That being said, we chose friday specifically so that it would not interfere with leagues that already exist.

Until we know how many players plan on attending (and actually show up), we are planning a singles league, with one division for the first year. If this continues to get bigger, we would like to setup multiple divisions. I don't have much experience with the PDGA, so I'm hoping that a current PDGA TD might want to help organize the portions of the league that I do not know about (Sanctioning, ect).

When it comes to choosing divisions, that would depend entirely on who and how many players show up. I would be fine with a C and B tier, but if there are enough local pros that want to compete, an A tier and a possible ladies division would be in order if there were enough participants.

I'd love to have you on board Scott. You've been a fantastic steward of the game for many, and have years of knowledge that many folks wish they had.

Comment

Originally posted by blu666z View Post
                  I like the idea of playing a random/voted for course, but what if the course from the previous week was excluded so you'd never play the same course in back-to-back weeks.
                  That is certainly something that we could vote on! I love the idea, but I'm not the "decider". I'll be emailing you about the next organization meeting we plan (probably next month).

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Finger View Post
                    The start time still has yet to be voted on by the group as of yet. I would assume that it would be very close to the start times at other evening leagues such as Tuesday Twos. That being said, we chose friday specifically so that it would not interfere with leagues that already exist.

Until we know how many players plan on attending (and actually show up), we are planning a singles league, with one division for the first year. If this continues to get bigger, we would like to setup multiple divisions. I don't have much experience with the PDGA, so I'm hoping that a current PDGA TD might want to help organize the portions of the league that I do not know about (Sanctioning, ect).

When it comes to choosing divisions, that would depend entirely on who and how many players show up. I would be fine with a C and B tier, but if there are enough local pros that want to compete, an A tier and a possible ladies division would be in order if there were enough participants.

I'd love to have you on board Scott. You've been a fantastic steward of the game for many, and have years of knowledge that many folks wish they had.
                    Not sure we're on the same page here. Your original post states that these would not be PDGA events (so people can drink and smoke), but this post indicates that you are seeking sanctioning.

As for what tier - I don't think that's an option. PDGA leagues are their own particular level (as far as I can tell).

I was referring to which player divisions are going to be available (open, adv, intermediate, etc...). I would suggest at least more than one, or go to a handicapped formula. If I were to play in the series I would not want to be donating my money to the same people every week.

Comment

i would love to play a weekly at hornings, sounds great. i probably wouldnt play if it were handicapped though, but thats just me. a few divisions seems like a better idea. thanks for stepping up to do this!!

Comment

Ok two main things.....

1- guessing you have cleared this with Bob before you posted it online.

2- You do know there are 5 or more Fri's during that time the place is closed for a event.

I love the idea... just want you to do your best....

Hippy007

Comment

Originally posted by Hippy007 View Post
                          Ok two main things.....

Originally posted by Bad Finger View Post
                          And yes, Mr. Bob Horning is already on board!

Comment

Originally posted by Hippy007 View Post
                            Ok two main things.....

2- You do know there are 5 or more Fri's during that time the place is closed for a event.

I love the idea... just want you to do your best....

Hippy007
                            Yes sir, Bob is 100% supportive of this league. As far as the weeks that would be unavailable, Those weeks are the week of June 18th, July16th, August 6th and September 3rd. We plan on running an extended season to make up for the dates that will be missed.

Thanks for all the support!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              Not sure we're on the same page here. Your original post states that these would not be PDGA events (so people can drink and smoke), but this post indicates that you are seeking sanctioning.

As for what tier - I don't think that's an option. PDGA leagues are their own particular level (as far as I can tell).

I was referring to which player divisions are going to be available (open, adv, intermediate, etc...). I would suggest at least more than one, or go to a handicapped formula. If I were to play in the series I would not want to be donating my money to the same people every week.
                              As far as sanctioning, this is being planned as a rec league for the time being. If we got 200 people showing up on a regular basis, entertaining the idea of sanctioning would be a viable option for discussion if at that time it was available to do.

As for divisions, I would be willing to entertain any ideas you may have for this subject. That is the portion of the first post I made where I said I didn't have much experience. I'd love to put you on our organization team, with your permission of course. We could always use a person who has as much experience with league leadership as you, Scott.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X