Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol on the course...

first off, I'm new.
    I've never played with anyone experienced.

I was curious about course etiquatte.
    do people have a problem with DGer's bringing a beer or two in there bag?

I understand the "Pack it in, Pack it out"
    but since most of the parks are either county owned or private, I was wondering if there was an official policy.

as well,
    I'm not talking about inapropriate behavior (associated with drinking)
    absolutely none, violators will be flogged !!!
    12.00%
    it's not a problem as long as you don't make it a problem
    68.00%
    nobody cares as long as you're not littering
    16.00%
    I see beer cans/bottles and cigarette butts all over the place, it must be the cool thing to do
    4.00%

Each park has a different policy. It seems like city parks generally ban alcohol, state parks generally allow it, and county parks can go either way.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I see it as a double edged sword. I can see it being a problem especially if disc golf is a new thing in your area. Cops don't want to deal with a bunch of drunk idiots driving home, regardless if it's from disc golf, the bar, etc. Then again, ball golf has people that drive around on carts and bring you alcohol.

I guess the difference is ball golf courses are usually privately owned while disc golf courses are public property.

If people are responsible with how they handle themselves, then it's not an issue. If they act like idiots, regardless of it's alcohol, littering, smoking pot, etc.. then it's a huge issue.
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

Fair question Russ.

I would simply advise to be aware of the rules/laws at the particular park/event you are playing.
        If alcohol is prohibited in the park/event, I would suggest you abide by the rules/laws.

If you do decide to bend the rules, I would suggest being stealth about it; both for your safety and the image of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post
          If you do decide to bend the rules, I would suggest being stealth about it; both for your safety and the image of the game.
          If only everyone showed this level of foresight. Its not so much that we really care if you are drinking (or <cough> smoking) etc, but use a little common sense about it. It would make the lives of those of us trying to have more courses installed that much easier.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Just don't be that guy and it seems to be fine. I have seen people put their mojo juice in nalgene bottles rather than the can or bottle itself which I think looks MUCH better. Especially around families.
            "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
            -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Nalgene + Cans of beer = Stealth + no broken bottles or Bottle caps. Pop the top, pour in Nalgene, crush can, place crushed can in bag. Beer snob excuse does not cut it anymore, now that Deschutes and many others have so graciously provided 12 pack cans. Notice the "Pack it in, Pack it out" on the cans.

Comment

If you get seen by the law, you can get an open container ticket. You also may then subject yourself then to a more thorough search of your disc golf bag which could be worse for some people. This has happened at the Lake Stevens course.

If you partake of a beer or two on a course, assume everyone else in the park may not be cool with it and try to keep it concealed. It will be the Dbags carrying around the 18 packs and tossing the emptys by the baskets that will get the LS course removed.

Comment

this is all prettymuch what I expected. (Common Sense)
                  it's the same as my friends and I have done when we played golf.

keep it more or less out of sight, don't litter, don't be an Asshole, etc...

I decided to ask because I saw a post about someone complaining about beer cans in the baskets, and cigarette butts.

I did a little searching using keywords "Alcohol" and "Beer" and didn't find much discussion.

Comment

Our local city course here in Post Falls Id, Corbin park, allow's alcohol consumption. Its nice to not feel like a criminal/ law breaker while you enjoy a beverage within a round of DG. And what Stu said " If people are responsible with how they handle themselves, then it's not an issue. If they act like idiots, regardless of it's alcohol, littering, smoking , etc.. then it's a huge issue."

Comment

If only these responsible people were playing at Juel Community Park in Redmond WA. Almost everytime that I go there, which is almost everyday, it's the same effing Red Hook Bottles and bottle caps laying all around in the park. I have also found the bottles thrown out into the woods around the course Please let me catch them.

Comment

Alcohol may or may not belong on the course, but it definitely belongs in my blood stream.
                        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeOne View Post
                          If only these responsible people were playing at Juel Community Park in Redmond WA. Almost everytime that I go there, which is almost everyday, it's the same effing Red Hook Bottles and bottle caps laying all around in the park. I have also found the bottles thrown out into the woods around the course Please let me catch them.
                          makes me wonder if it's actually people playing the course

my dad works at a park in oregon, they have a bunch of local drunks that just hang out in the park every day and drink
                          they have no real reason to be at the park other than the fact it's a free park

Comment

Originally posted by tomw View Post
                            Our local city course here in Post Falls Id, Corbin park, allow's alcohol consumption. Its nice to not feel like a criminal/ law breaker while you enjoy a beverage within a round of DG. And what Stu said " If people are responsible with how they handle themselves, then it's not an issue. If they act like idiots, regardless of it's alcohol, littering, smoking , etc.. then it's a huge issue."
                            but you voted for "absolutely none, violators will be flogged !!!"

Comment

I agree with every one here, show some respect for your fellow man/woman have a beer, be cool and act right. Side note DO NOT drink, smoke or smoke at orchard park in Hillsboro they are nazis and you will get a huge fine. Three people I know have had tickets up to $500

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X