X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
    I didn't even see marijuana in person till after I graduated High School, I would like the same concept to apply to our kids.
    Wow. I was 8 in 1973.

Originally posted by papatart
    That being said, I would never do anything different and still feel I made an overall positive impact on players and disc golf in the Northwest.
    UNDERSTATEMENT! When I consider the list of people who have positively impacted disc golf in the Northwest you are definitely in the top group!
    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Yes, the good old days when only the darkies and wetbacks ever witnessed the killer weed. I too long for those better times, when John Wayne and Ronald Reagan bravely served our country on the big screen.
      Last edited by Ol' Bob; January 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM.
      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
        Stick golfers have always drunk (the adults, anyway). Anyone can intuit that a certain level of sobriety probably won't hurt their game. If anyone get's stoned or drunk to the point of foolishness, who profits? Will the kids turn out better for being shielded from the fools? Should the folks who wish to provide such a shield take the field from the adults, or vice verse?

Read Smoke and Mirrors: The War On Drugs and the Politics of Failure, by Dan Baum
        Stick golf may have it's sterotype of drinking etc but however, they are already big on sponsors and money etc.
        Disc Golf needs to climb up the ladder for a while before we can loosen up on our sterotypes I would think...

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
          Yes, the good old days when only the darkies and wetbacks ever witnessed the killer weed. I too long for those better times, when John Wayne and Ronald Reagan bravely served our country on the big screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet View Post
            I played at the Rose City Open in 2007 and I remember there was a guy who was monitoring players during the tournament and one player got removed from the event. I think he was drinking during the round.
            I think that that was my friend Dominic... who wasn't playing in the event and got removed from the park by a guy in a uniform.

I have no recollection of someone being removed from the 2007 RCO... and you'd think I would.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Papa... the story I heard was that you were in third and the two guys who got the DQ were in first and second. I think that that part of the story - true or not - is what might have led to the vilification.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Papa... the story I heard was that you were in third and the two guys who got the DQ were in first and second. I think that that part of the story - true or not - is what might have led to the vilification.
                Nope...with four holes to go in the final round (before the final nine) I was in first place. This was also after I had said at the beginning of the round that I was not cool with this activity during an event and would have to report any occurences that happened. Two others in our group said that they also did not want this going on and they assured the two that did wish to engage in the activity that they could be sure I would take action.

However, what place you are in has nothing to do with following the rules of our game. Past the fact that it is a rule, it is also at this time illegal. In Washington state, drinking alcohol in our public parks without a permit is also illegal.

What I am really trying to say is forget about what you may consider grand inequities in the law. The bottom line is that at this point these are the laws. If we uphold them and abide by them it will better present our sport and our participants to those that are new or interested. Putting our best foot forward does do positive things. Showing our backside, like what happened in Florida and other places, yields results like losing the great Red Hawk Course.
                Team Discraft
                Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                  Wow. I was 8 in 1973.

UNDERSTATEMENT! When I consider the list of people who have positively impacted disc golf in the Northwest you are definitely in the top group!
                  Dear Mr Fingers of tasty links,

Thank you for the praise. I have done nothing but try to help grow the sport and have fun with everyone I can. I just love to play this game and have a hard time believing that not everybody is playing it!

Keep on throwing plastic at metal!

Later,
                  Papa
                  Team Discraft
                  Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by papatart View Post
                    However, what place you are in has nothing to do with following the rules of our game. Past the fact that it is a rule, it is also at this time illegal. In Washington state, drinking alcohol in our public parks without a permit is also illegal.

What I am really trying to say is forget about what you may consider grand inequities in the law. The bottom line is that at this point these are the laws. If we uphold them and abide by them it will better present our sport and our participants to those that are new or interested. Putting our best foot forward does do positive things. Showing our backside, like what happened in Florida and other places, yields results like losing the great Red Hawk Course.
                    I fully endorse this post.

Comment

The bottom line is that at this point these are the laws.
                      I vas only following orderes!
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Ol' Bob, I am sure you know the difference between Laws, Ethics and Morals...lets not muddy the water here!
                        Last edited by Flash; January 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM.
                        PDGA #25296
                        Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by papatart View Post
                          Nope...with four holes to go in the final round (before the final nine) I was in first place. This was also after I had said at the beginning of the round that I was not cool with this activity during an event and would have to report any occurences that happened. Two others in our group said that they also did not want this going on and they assured the two that did wish to engage in the activity that they could be sure I would take action.
                          Thanks for clearing that up. I had a feeling that the vilification was overblown.

I agree with the rest of the post, Scott. There is a time and a place for those who choose to engage in this activity. During a round or in a time or place where it will cause harm is clearly not the right time or place.
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X