Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No event has been cancelled. The finale is still on and I'm sure it will be tons of fun!!!

And yes, I usually would not name the player, but there have been repeated negative interactions with this individual in the past. Judging by several emails I received from other local TD's since posting this, yesterday, his behavior extends beyond this single event. This type of player behavior seems likely a result of a lack of accountability. I stand by my decision to make this player's actions known and will continue to do so in the future.

Note for the future: If you behave like a child at my event, I will call you out. Please feel free to A) choose not attend my events or B) behave at least adult-esque while present.

As far as frustrated versus belligerent, your call I guess although everyone I've spoken with except you have agreed that the behavior was well out of line.

In either case, the outcome (ruining a TD's motivation) remains the same.
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

I, too, had an incident happen at a tournament that I was TDing back in May that is still hanging around. The player in question had a rules infraction which we discussed at the time of the incident (he was in my flight) and it ended. I later inquired in my TD report how to deal with this and discussed the matter with him. After the PDGA made their decision I received a very threatening phone call from this individual he basically asked me to lie to the PDGA to get this corrected. What it comes down to for me is that PDGA events are voluntary events as is being a PDGA member. By being a member or playing an event (member or not) you are agreeing to abide by the rules set forth by the PDGA (as they are the governing body) whether you like or agree with the rules or not. Many players seem to have the sentiment that they don't agree with some of the rules therefore that particular rule somehow does not apply to them. I have a feeling with this particular incident that I still have not heard the end of it and have made the decision that I will refrain from TDing another event for at least the 2012 season. Players need to take more responsibility for their own actions. There is no such thing as running a small, low-key tournament. Every event is a PAIN IN THE @$$ in some way. Each player needs to do their part to ensure that they are not part of the problem but rather part of the solution.

On a side note, during the same event that I had the problem I had another player bring me a bottle of a special release beer just to say thanks for running the event - that went a long way and does go to show that not all are bad unfortunately the bad incident overshadowed the good one.

Comment

thank you scott! i second everything you outlined... taking the words out of my mouth!

Comment

Good for you Andrew! I wouldnt put up or shut up about anybody disrespecting the woman I love(my wife)or any other for that matter.
          Chivalry is not dead!
          Last edited by maynard; October 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM. Reason: Sheila setting me straight!

Comment

Thanks for the support maynard, but let me kindly remind you that I'm nobody's woman but my own. And Andy would be the first to say so.

ScottW, that is reprehensible. This person should be named, held accountable, and at least be on probation with the PDGA for these actions. At least that is my opinion. I thoroughly understand and support your decision to boycott running events. I couldn’t believe what I had to put up with at my event, especially when I gave up my spot just to accommodate as many players as possible.

Here’s what I have to say about this matter. No matter how good of a player you are, or you think you are, you do NOT have a right to play an organized event. You have a privilege. And it’s a privilege made possible solely by the VOLUNTEER work of the TD. Therefore, if you want to have the PRIVILEGE to play, you have to abide by all rules, take responsibility for your own actions, and accept their consequences. Don’t expect to have these rules bent or changed just to accommodate you and your irresponsible actions because they WON’T be.

If anyone disagrees with this, I suggest you run an event yourself and provide productive comments to help improve whatever you disagree with. If you think you can do it better, show me how. Otherwise, I would rather you just said thank you and went on your merry way. Because frankly, and in the words of a famous actor, I don't give a d*mn what you think you're entitled to.

That said, I do recognize that the majority of the people at the event were very appreciative and supportive. I was very grateful for their voiced support.
            Last edited by SheilaT; October 5th, 2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Man... we really need like buttons up in here...

Thanks for the post, Sheila. I think it is safe to say that we all hope that we have not lost you as a TD over this incident.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by SheilaT View Post
                Thanks for the support maynard, but let me kindly remind you that I'm nobody's woman but my own. And Andy would be the first to say so.

ScottW, that is reprehensible. This person should be named, held accountable, and at least be on probation with the PDGA for these actions. At least that is my opinion. I thoroughly understand and support your decision to boycott running events. I couldn’t believe what I had to put up with at my event, especially when I gave up my spot just to accommodate as many players as possible.

Here’s what I have to say about this matter. No matter how good of a player you are, or you think you are, you do NOT have a right to play an organized event. You have a privilege. And it’s a privilege made possible solely by the VOLUNTEER work of the TD. Therefore, if you want to have the PRIVILEGE to play, you have to abide by all rules, take responsibility for your own actions, and accept their consequences. Don’t expect to have these rules bent or changed just to accommodate you and your irresponsible actions because they WON’T be.

If anyone disagrees with this, I suggest you run an event yourself and provide productive comments to help improve whatever you disagree with. If you think you can do it better, show me how. Otherwise, I would rather you just said thank you and went on your merry way. Because frankly, and in the words of a famous actor, I don't give a d*mn what you think you're entitled to.

That said, I do recognize that the majority of the people at the event were very appreciative and supportive. I was very grateful for their voiced support.
                Last edited by Bullseye; October 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM.
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by SheilaT View Post

ScottW, that is reprehensible. This person should be named, held accountable, and at least be on probation with the PDGA for these actions. At least that is my opinion. I thoroughly understand and support your decision to boycott running events. I couldnít believe what I had to put up with at my event, especially when I gave up my spot just to accommodate as many players as possible.

The PDGA stated that I needed to report the incident or I could face sanctions - of which this player was told of my findings. I did report the player and they received a 6 month suspension with 1 year probation which is what prompted the player's harsh words to me. Shortly after that I decided that I would work with this player because I thought that he could help become part of the solution with many others who I see commit the same infraction at tourneys. He has not persued this further and since I have had more time to think about it and discuss it with others I am no longer willing to assist with this and believe the player needs to face his suspension and probation - which really I didn't think was that bad of a punishment afterall.

I couldn't agree more with everything else SheilaT mentioned.

Comment

I have been playing in tourneys since 1991, and I am very thankful to all the volunteers and TD's out that that make it possible. Disc Golf as a whole is what it is today due to those people.

Keep up the good work Sheila and Scott..

Thanks

Comment

Do we need to start having volunteer 'bouncers' to help filter out the BS that TD's have to put up with from time to time? If you see one of your peers acting like an idiot, pull them aside and set them straight. Jub, maybe you could take this kid under your wing and show him how to be a better ambassador for the sport.

I don't know all of the details, but it seems significant enough that perhaps he should be banned from club events for a period of time, if not indefinitely.
                      Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; October 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM.
                      Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Maybe this disc golfer should just apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Hell... we have World Champions and Innova-sponsored players who act like this...
                          Ha, Brad yelled at me ONCE...just once. I believe my response was received loud and clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                            This is terrible. We need more good TDs not less!

This ranks right up there with an incident this year where one of the female pros at the BSF started yelling at one of our volunteers for walking by (well away from the green) when she was putting. I am at the point where if I hear about any player yelling at one of our volunteers I will simply include a written complaint in the official TD report and let the PDGA disciplinary committee deal with them.

Ugh.
                            The Disciplinary Committee would be more than happy to deal with these type of situations.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sam;108015]Man... we really need like buttons up in here...

I agreee....good discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                                The PDGA stated that I needed to report the incident or I could face sanctions - of which this player was told of my findings. I did report the player and they received a 6 month suspension with 1 year probation which is what prompted the player's harsh words to me. Shortly after that I decided that I would work with this player because I thought that he could help become part of the solution with many others who I see commit the same infraction at tourneys. He has not persued this further and since I have had more time to think about it and discuss it with others I am no longer willing to assist with this and believe the player needs to face his suspension and probation - which really I didn't think was that bad of a punishment afterall.
                                I'm STILL waiting for my suspension to be up, you jerkhole!
                                We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X