Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USDGC 2011: The Nielsen/Ollis Perspective

Day 1 (9:25 AM PT):Roc

Just chilling with Craig N. in PDX getting ready to board our flight. With all the scandal about the handicapping and no prize money I think its important to remind folks that there are at least two extremely excited disc golfers about to head to Rock Hill, SC for the week. In many ways I feel the course, Winthrop Gold, is the prize, the true test of a disc golfer. People tend to forget the game of golf is a game of you versus yourself and the course. It seems to me that this years' USDGC exemplifies that premise.

Will try to keep y'all updated to the comings and goings of some local discers in the far off land of Rock Hill!

Originally posted by sol View Post
    Day 1 (9:25 AM PT):Roc

Just chilling with Craig N. in PDX getting ready to board our flight. With all the scandal about the handicapping and no prize money I think its important to remind folks that there are at least two extremely excited disc golfers about to head to Rock Hill, SC for the week. In many ways I feel the course, Winthrop Gold, is the prize, the true test of a disc golfer. People tend to forget the game of golf is a game of you versus yourself and the course. It seems to me that this years' USDGC exemplifies that premise.

Will try to keep y'all updated to the comings and goings of some local discers in the far off land of Rock Hill!

Have a great time guy's!!!
    "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Win the darn thing...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
        Win the darn thing...
        Day 1: (10:30 PM)

Craig and I touch down in Charlotte, NC, and after having some delicious grub immediately decide to test the true skills of our GPS unit in the car. Instead of rolling on I-77 we kicked it through the rising metropolis of Pineville, NC, and took some backroads into South Carolina. Hard to believe there are so many great disc golf courses within a half hour of Charlotte. Worlds next year is going to be phenomenal! Early day tomorrow, Winthrop Gold awaits...

Comment

Day 1: (10:30 PM)

Craig and I touch down in Charlotte, NC, and after having some delicious grub immediately decide to test the true skills of our GPS unit in the car. Instead of rolling on I-77 we kicked it through the rising metropolis of Pineville, NC, and took some backroads into South Carolina. Hard to believe there are so many great disc golf courses within a half hour of Charlotte. Worlds next year is going to be phenomenal! Early day tomorrow, Winthrop Gold awaits...
          Yea Boi............. Got to play Renny if you have the chance. Charlotte Disc Golf ROCKS!!

Comment

Day 2: 5:22 pm

Craig and I are just decompressing watching some nice afternoon NFL in the Econolodge. Gotta admit them East Coasters got us beat for Sunday

football schedule. One can have a nice leisurely morning, and enjoy some fine NFL action from 1 PM to midninght. The beer drinker in me likes that schedule...

Anyway, we enjoyed a blustery, amazing, humbling, soul-searching session on Winthrop Gold, which by the way, is everything it is cracked up to

be. Its amazing how a bit (1000s of feet) of yellow rope can create a mind blowing disc golf experience. However, as Craig so astutely

mentioned, a couple of seconds ago, "we were lucky to have the wind on a practice round..." It is true, if it is windy and you need to throw an

anhyzer, you are playing Russian Roulette on Winthrop Gold. Suffice to say, it was a fruitful practice round, got to see some crazy skips and

some insanely lucky breaks, but mostly justice for well-executed or poorly thrown shots.

Second brilliant perspective from Nielsen for the hour: "The trouble about Winthrop Gold is not the 17 holes you play well, its the other hole on

which you take a 12. You kind of have to Tin Cup it..."

My advice for any that have not played this course is this... Anytime you throw a shot you think you can execute, you are asking for trouble.

Only throw shots you KNOW you can execute. All in all, a great test for any who get the privilege to play this course.

Comment

As someone who spent several years on the east coast and goes there every year for my wife's side of the family. Waiting all day for a game that starts at 1PM, 4:30, or 8:15 and having to work or go to class at 7 or 8am the next day, FLAT OUT SUCKS. The west coast is way better, you wake up and Football starts and ends at reasonable times... Same applies to basketball, hockey, baseball, and the list goes on. My brother in law loves sports and just hates it when he has to miss the 2nd half of games cuz he needs to go to bed... Anyways enough defending that argument, i am just covering up all the jealousy I have of you playing those courses out east right now... Next year?

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                As someone who spent several years on the east coast and goes there every year for my wife's side of the family. Waiting all day for a game that starts at 1PM, 4:30, or 8:15 and having to work or go to class at 7 or 8am the next day, FLAT OUT SUCKS. The west coast is way better, you wake up and Football starts and ends at reasonable times... Same applies to basketball, hockey, baseball, and the list goes on. My brother in law loves sports and just hates it when he has to miss the 2nd half of games cuz he needs to go to bed... Anyways enough defending that argument, i am just covering up all the jealousy I have of you playing those courses out east right now... Next year?
                "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

... Anytime you throw a shot you think you can execute, you are asking for trouble.

Only throw shots you KNOW you can execute.
                  this is brilliant no matter what course you are playing.

keep the insights coming and loving where you are and what you are doing... super cool...
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                    this is brilliant no matter what course you are playing.

keep the insights coming and loving where you are and what you are doing... super cool...
                    Day 3: 8:27 pm

Finished up Day 2, with some fine tuning on holes 11-15 on Winthrop Gold with the wiley vet and formal World Champion, Lavonne Wolfe. A fine Alabama gentleman, with a blistering backhand and some good advice. Fished an ill-advised practice shot, from the round earlier, out of a small watery cove right on the dogleg of hole 5. Craig and I then had a rousing putting duel as the gloaming sank to darkness on the green of hole 5. Props to Craig for beating me with a sweet turbo putt. Day 3 began a bit later, as the aforementioned late football games kept us up way past the witching hour. Good thing we are on vacation! We traveled 20 minutes north to Renaissance Gold in the late morning. After a brief delay for a Chicken Biscuit at BoJangles (we missed the chance to brunch at Billy Graham Library cafe), we started haggling like Istanbul merchants on how many strokes I would give Craig as we battled for the all vaunted currency of an ice cream cone. After settling on what seemed to me, after the putting display of the previous night, as five strokes too many, we began our onslaught of the mighty Renny Gold. A mighty battle ensued, and as one might imagine, as many brave warriors before us,
                    the machinations of the Gold were too much. We did have a fantastic time, and I am having a hard time deciding whether Winthrop Gold or Renny Gold is the more impressive. Any thoughts from anyone that has played both?...

I tend to think that each is great in it own way. Renny for its raw, majestic, stan McDaniel enhanced landscape that can rattle even the most technical of golfers, or Winthrop for its clean, swift, hangman justice-doling holes shaped diabolically within yellow rope. One thing they both have in common that us Northwest course designers can learn something from is GREAT GRIPPY teepads (by the way Bob Horning has already got a jump in this area). These teepads grip shoes like a Portlander grips their beer, with purpose and not a chance of a slip. On courses of this difficulty, the ability of the driver to feel as if any mistake on the drive will not be due to a slip, makes the experience infinitely more enjoyable. Too me, this aspect of the game seems to be an easy thing to control for course designers who are seeking to create an elite disc golf experience.

Stepping down off the soapbox...

After some divine, and timely smoked beef brisquet sandwich and pastrami on wheat at Firehouse Subs, Craig and I made for our second disc golf mecca of the day. Elon park, home of the Eager Beaver and the Angry Beaver. As one might imagine, the Eager Beaver is the more tame of the two layouts. Both are potentially going to be used at Charlotte Worlds next year, but after the shellacking of body and soul that was wreaked upon us by Renny Gold, we decided to take it easy and test our wits and skills against the course more likely to give up some birdies.

Eager Beaver gave up many birdies, chainy ace runs, and one ace in the two rounds Craig and I played on it today, all in all, just what we needed to get our confidence up. A fun extremely tight Carolina-style course that was exacting, but imminently scorable. Imagine if you will, playing the spiral (1st five holes on Milo East) for eighteen holes with couple of holes from the Canyon course at Horning's sprinkled in. Yet another great day!

Carolina dreamers signing out.

Comment

Gentlemen! Have a Great Time!!

I'll be reading...

Comment

Loving the updates. Keep 'em coming, and have a great time!

Comment

you said "gloaming"!!! i love the gloaming... one of the very best things in life and it happens every day... putting in the gloaming... awe-some!!!

totally can't wait for tomorrow's update... thank you for the opportunity to live vicariously...
                          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Yet another reason John was a great pick. Keep it coming and good luck!
                            Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                            Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Day 4 Photos

Day 4: 5:13 pm

Took some photos, but had a difficult time posting due to new computer-itis and size restrictions for photos on the forum. I made the album (October 4, 2011 Winthrop Gold) viewable for the public on my Facebook page (I am the John Ollis from Portland, OR with disc golf pictures all over his site), please let me know if you have issues seeing the pictures. My apologies for not keeping to just one media source, but y'all are probably more tech savvy then I.

Updates on experiences from Day 4 coming soon...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X