X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update 4A- A report out from Craig

I, like the rest of you have been enjoying the narrative from John O and our experiences at the USDGC. I thought I'd provide a sub narrative to this amazing journey and offer some realizations about what has been, and what awaits me in the coming days. Indeed, on the cusp of the biggest disc golf tournament of my life, I seek to sort out the jumble of feelings that has flooded my being. First off, I realize that Winthrop gold represents the most challenging disc golf course of my short career...It is clear to me that it will exact swift punishment on any weakness in my game. As I played the course in practice, I am reminded of my high school days when I was cramming for an exam for which I was woefully ill-prepared. Winthrop is the teacher patiently waiting with my score card and red correction pen in Hand.
    At the same time, I find the setting serene, peaceful and calming..I'm having trouble sorting out the contrasts.
    I am grateful that I have been able to share this experience with John.. He has been like a older disc golf brother, providing great tips, patient advice all keeping it light...Without a doubt, he was the correct choice for the Oregon State representative..
    It is clear that the USDGC folks care a great deal about this event - it shows in the most minute details, and pleasant smiles...I thank all of the sponsors and volunteers.
    I embark on the most important day of my DG career tomorrrow.. I sense that I will grow as a Disc golfer, but more importantly, as a person. I am so honored to be here and look forward to coming days...

-craig

Comment

Day 4: 6:49 pm (Part 1)

I awoke this morning, to yet another beautiful sun ray licking my face like an eager puppy. I am sure South Carolina would not miss a couple sunny days if us Oregonians wanted to borrow some...

Gotta nice early start today and headed back out to The Hallowed Grounds Of Winthrop Gold (what will henceforth be referred to as THGOWG). As one can probably surmise from the aforementioned photos I posted on my Facebook site, the weather was truly sublime. While Craig set out to work on some of shots and enjoy the pure ecstasy of playing disc golf on a beautiful South Carolina day, I set out with his fine Nikon digital camera.

Though my skills as a cameraman are limited to say the least (see shaky testimonial of a caffeine addict), THGOWG gave up some scenes that would melt the heart of even the sourest ne'er do well. In my stroll around the park there were sightings of some of the all-star cast one might expect: Phil Arthur, Barry Schultz, Dave Feldberg, Champ. But really all about were murmurs about new legends of the everyday type. The 916 rated Brett Burgess (-13), 855 rated Mike Hamuka (-6), 889 rated Kevin Tritten... These overachievers were noticed, and the heroes of the Monday qualifying rounds along with some top golfers who last minute decided to try and test their own skills against the field.
      Chuck Kennedy stopped by the balcony outside the pro shop where I was languidly enjoying the view and the attempts of the golfers to stay in bounds on the drive on #18. We chatted about the correlation between player rating and success in this year's format; and his thoughts about how the "stroke and distance" rule would play out in the ratings of the rounds. Since I know that he is watching this thread, I would not dare to summarize the eloquent reasoning he shared with me about ratings and their validity when pertaining to the application of the "stroke and distance" rule, but I do hope he will share a first-hand account with the folks on this forum, as I found his insights fascinating. After bidding him luck on his round, I felt grateful that such dedicated people that exist to make the sport I love, thrive. (to be continued)

Comment

What we don't know about the "Throw & Distance" rule (note the word "stroke" has never been used in the rulebook) being relevant on almost every hole is whether it's just a slight deviation from our game or whether it's a significant enough departure such that the ratings of the players are not suitable to do our usual calculations with their scores. For example, it's unlikely that player ratings for minigolf would be in the same rank order as regular player ratings if we did them for minigolf the same way.

So even though the USDGC is using player ratings to determine projected scores (handicaps) for players, I believe we'll see a bigger scrambling of the final finish order than one might expect with a more normal format and course. Of course there's no other way to provide handicaps than ratings so they're giving it a try to see how it goes. Some players will naturally play better than normal in this format and others will struggle going beyond what we would normally expect based on their rating.

Comment

Day 4: 10:13 pm (Part 2)

OK, before I wax further about the existential fruits tasted by attending this year's USDGC, let's have a moment of good ole fashioned American materialism. THE PLAYERS PACK!! All I have to say is WOW!

Fair enough, so its not all I have to say (big surprise). I have never seen a player's pack or perhaps even won anything as valuable as these player's packs. USDGC jerseys personalized with yer Last Name printed on the stripe on the right side, black zip hoodies with Huk wings in front, seven discs (for those who are afficianados: sparkle candy USDGC TL plus and Archon, Yeti Pro Aviar, Champion Rancho Roc plus, first run Tee-Devil, Discmania DD2 and TD). A veritable cornucopia of coupons (including a Keen 50% off coupon), a super shammy, a stainless steel water bottle, some amazing caramel corn, and various other stickers and knick knacks. All in all I feel like Alexander the Great after conquering the mighty kingdom of Schwagville.

The banquet was an homage to Southern hospitality and grace. The honoring of the previous Golden Rake winners (kind of like a volunteer Hall of Fame) and the previous champions was appropriately rousing and touching. The barbecued meats (pick yer favorite) and sweet tea were highlights, although the sweet potatoes were also amazing. By the way, overheard a story Henry Childress was relating about Will Schusterick coming back last year from the serve yerself southern feast with a plate only filled with the sweet potatoes, and proclaiming "Now I am gonna win." By the way I do not know if that was some sort of sly pitch by the sweet potato farmers of South Carolina, but I did notice that everyone within earshot took at least a second scoop of the golden ambrosia. There was a cool moment when they announced that "Everyone should look under your seat! If you find something staring back at you, come up to the front." A small, young lady sheepishly crept up to the raised platform. After which they informed her that a Chainstar basket that had been set on a table 35 ft away (in the middle of everyone), presented an opportunity for her to win back her entry fee. She made two great bids, which chained and rimed out consecutively, and as she was lining up the third, she was informed that she could "phone a friend" in "Who wants to be a millionaire?" parlance. She looked dramatically to the crowd, considered putting it herself, and then called up "Champ". Climo gamely and grinning widely casually walked up and accepted the challenge. After the entire place started drumming on the tables and the old timers were knudging any brash teenagers that were not paying attention. The Champ let go a prototypical hyzer pitch putt right at that Chainstar. But somewhere in the Carolina evening the disc golf gods forgot who was putting and the Champ chained out.

The announcer stepped up proudly and would it be okay to just take home the basket and the putters instead, and everyone's disappointment turned to glee, and the Champ still gracious in defeat, gave a wistful shrug, and smiled just as broadly. A modern happy ending.

Then the tee times came out and scores of names came out by fours, splitting the hours between 8 am and 12:20 pm. What an experience! I felt like I was part of something big, something new and old at the same time, something people care about. I cannot wait for my name to be called
          only two names before my friend Craig as we challenge THGOWG tomorrow at 9:20 am.

Comment

Ollis! I can't say this any better and won't even try after reading your works of art: this shit rocks! Keep 'em coming...

We are all vicariously living through you guys; we cannot wait to read the next account.

May the Carolina gods be good to your XCal's and Firebirds!!

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Rebel View Post
              Ollis! I can't say this any better and won't even try after reading your works of art: this shit rocks! Keep 'em coming...

We are all vicariously living through you guys; we cannot wait to read the next account.

May the Carolina gods be good to your XCal's and Firebirds!!

John I have to agree this was a great read since i have not been here in a couple of days

Tear it up and keep'em straight and both of you have some more Carolina BBQ.

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Second place, Johnny!!! YEAHBOY!!!
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

So...I haven't really been educating myself on this performance-based system all that completely. I have a question: when it says for Ollis "Projected - 71, Today - -4, Total - -4" does that mean he tied his projection or that he beat his project score by 4 strokes?

Comment

Originally posted by essjay View Post
                    So...I haven't really been educating myself on this performance-based system all that completely. I have a question: when it says for Ollis "Projected - 71, Today - -4, Total - -4" does that mean he tied his projection or that he beat his project score by 4 strokes?
                    Yup. Shot a 67. Craig shot a nice little 77 to be even for the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      Second place, Johnny!!! YEAHBOY!!!
                      Craig and I really appreciate all the support!

Comment

Thanks Ollis! Great job! We'll all be watching and cheering you on

Comment

Originally posted by sol View Post
                          Craig and I really appreciate all the support!
                          We appreciate the way the two of you are representing the NW. Keep it up!

Comment

Day 5: Tourney day

I awoke this morning with a nervousness that apparently could not be quelled by a Steak and Egg burrito garnered from the friendly neighborhood Jack in the Box. In fact, as I watched the sun rise into the clear Carolina sky, could not keep my mind at peace. Turns out, fast food does not spell fast relief of either cause of a twitchy stomach, hunger or nerves. Regardless, I felt proud strolling out of the hotel room with my team Oregon shirt on today, and appreciative of the opportunity to be here.

Craig and I drove to the course about an hour and a half early to get in some practice on a dewey field and extremely convenient practice baskets. It makes such a huge difference when the practice facilities are right by the course, and to make it even more convenient, tireless USDGC volunteers are ferrying folks in golf carts from the practice area to the first tee. One could get used to being treated like this. As the day grew warmer and the wind began to pick up which at Winthrop seems to be just a daily weather pattern, I watched the two cards before our tee time (again felt so privileged to get to play a tourney round with my traveling companion Craig) tee off. From the soon-to-be competitors I felt the nervous energy building like the atomic reactions of a birthing sun.

In each player's reaction was pure disappointment, joy, or embarrassment, as if every round in the tourney was being played within this single throw on Hole One. When the group before us walked down Hole One I felt the gravity well of nervousness wash over me like a strange chill. I have not felt that way since my first year of playing tournaments, and when they announced my name, I stepped up, took a deep breath, and felt my hands shake as I released a forehand Roc...the emotion supernova-ed, and disappeared. A moment later, I had to reconcile that I needed to save par after hitting a tree on the left side. The feeling was gone, and only THGOWG remained. Game on.

For the record, there were many great things about the round today, but one of the feelings that I hope will stick with me forever, was that feeling on the first tee.

Ultra quick synopsis (with highlights and lowlights)

Hole 1: a sweet 75 ft birdie putt by Ben from Wisconsin, pars for the rest

Hole 2: great 4 for Craig after being behind a shed, a hedge, and basically the Rock Hill penitentiary (capped off by the purest upshot)

Hole 3: lots of OBs for the group, but I got lucky hitting an OB pole, and made the 30 footer for birdie. Great Dart upshot for Craig

Hole 4: Craig underwent his toughest hole of the round, but conducted himself like a gentleman, and gamely put together two good shots to finish with a 7, on what could have ballooned into a higher
                            score.

Hole 5: Threw a shot I have been dreaming about for years (flexing sidearm Xcaliber over the water) and made a nice putt to secure a 4

Hole 6: Sweet lefty sidearm by Tom from Spokane. Another good Dart upshot from Craig.

Hole 7: Made a nice wind adjustment on the tee, and parked this hole. Love putting with my driver.

Hole 8: Tom from spokane hits the Billy tree (which is by the way the first tree off the tee that is in one's way on any hole, named for the exploits of Billy Crump), throws an insanely great anhyzer upshot that takes the spotter what seemed like twenty minutes to call in, and then casually sinks the 100 footer for the all vaunted Billy Tree Birdie.

Hole 9: Tom and I played the same sneaky lefty line around a tree, and then threw the same sneaky overhead shots to inside the circle, and made the same sneaky putts. Felt pretty sneaky posting a

3 down for the front nine with no OB's. Oh did I mention that Craig threw a great Dart upshot on 9 as well (an example of a think-I-can shot gone well!).

Hole 10: Ben makes a great drive, great upshot and great putt for birdie to come back from a tough hole 9. Craig makes a sick Dart upshot. John tries first and last backhand of the day, goes OB.

Hole 11: Ben has first multiple OB of the back nine for the group, John and Tom again play doppleganger and 3 a super difficult hole. Craig's "dogbite" wraith starts its foray into greatness...

Another great Dart upshot leading to tap in.

Hole 12: Dogbite comes out twice, Craig makes a nice par, John's hyzer Xcal goes OB a foot after a mystery headwind shows up after shot in air.

Hole 13: 888...Injustice? incarnate breakdown session.

Tom throws a beautiful thumber that strikes a tree (that is well in bounds) he was aiming at dead center and spins back into the road like a Phil Mickelson sand wedge spins a balotta golf ball off a perfectly manicured green at the Masters. He then proceeds to throw literally the identical shot, hits the same tree, and lands in perfect position.

Craig throws a nice easy hyzer lay up that hits Super Mario Kart turbo patch of grass, and what looked like a shot dying nicely in the middle streaks across the yellow line like a naked drunkard at a football game. Craig throws another similar shot that lands and stops in perfect position.

John throws a sidearm hyzer spike layup that bounces backwards uphill through a wormhole and manages to stay OB. Repeat the same shot, John is in perfect position.

Ben throws a mid range destined for severe curb kissage, and folds over the curb to land safe.

Tom 7, Craig 7, John 7, Ben 10 (Unfortunately Ben met his own destiny with OB later in the hole)

Hole 14; Craig throws a great monster "dogbite" hyzer, best drive of the day. John throws line drive sidearm to 30 ft and makes putt, for one of his best two's of the day.

Hole 15: John throws sidearm roller upshot that gets lucky and makes putt for a good 3. Craig notably throws only bad upshot of the day.

Hole 16: Tom goes OB, and then parks with a sick lefty backhand for good damage control. "Dogbite" gives Craig a sweet look at bird on a difficult long par 3.

Hole 17: The Island of Tragedy and Fortune

John throws a shot that folds over the hay bales for the super lucky, Carolina gods are smiling, jump in the air for glee, break of the day. Makes the 30 ft putt for unlikely birdie on 17.

Craig wisely lays up. Throws a, anyone guessed it, perfect upshot, for an angst-ridden but well deserved 3.

Tom after coming up short the first time, puts it about 30 ft and cans it for another superb damage control 4 after having to jog half mile back to 16's teepad to get a misplaced scorecard.

Ben carded the most calm 15 I have ever been privy to and gave every witness a lesson in grace. Congrats to him for being the gentleman of the day. If there was an award I would fight off a

thousand cage fighters to have the opportunity to present it to him.

Hole 18: John throws another hyzer, that angers the wind, so it blows to flat barely OB. John angered in turn, throws rage-induced, rotator-cuff-separating hammer that gets close to enough to almost save a 5 but settles for a 6. Craig executes two perfect upshots for a masterful 4.

Thanks to my group today, the long round was made short by their friendliness and humor.

Will try to avoid full synopsis tomorrow, but thought I would give a flavour of the roller coaster that is THGOWG.

Craig and I go our separate ways tomorrow, at least as far as cards go, but congratulations to him on his phenomenal play in his first major tourney. Not many folks can say they played their way into Ken Climo's group at the USDGC.

Comment

You guys rock! Congrats to both of you for your amazing play and sportsmanship! Jolly Olli making a stellar USDGC debut on the LEAD CARD!!!
                              Team DISCRAFT
                              NW Sign Up
                              Gorilla Boy
                              Paragon Disc Golf
                              Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by sol View Post
                                Day 5: Tourney day

Hole 5: Threw a shot I have been dreaming about for years (flexing sidearm Xcaliber over the water) and made a nice putt to secure a 4
                                John is being humble about one of the finest golf shots That I have ever witnessed- A very commiting 420 foot over-the-lake flexing sidearm that demonstrated the utmost confidence and skill. This bold and beautiful shot landed right at the circle! If you have ever played THGOWG hole 5, you'd know what I mean...That is to say, noodle arms like me go around the lake

Without question, This was his signature throw of a smoking hot round.. I know I'm not alone when I say to John, Congratulations on being on the LEAD CARD (!!) of the USDGC...You make All of us in the NW proud!
                                Last edited by Fridgecat; October 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X