X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeverett View Post
    Ok, Scoring Spread Analysis is done, using the 1000-average scores. Mind you, I didn't play in the event, and I've never seen the course before, so I can't comment beyond the actual scoring spread and listed par values.. so please feel free to chime in about any of the specific hole anomalies mentioned below:

Hole 4 - For a par 4, 70.00% of recorded rounds birdied this one. I don't know the distance on this one, but it feels like a (considerably) longer pin position may be needed to both increase the scoring spread and reduce the number of 3's?

Hole 7 - For a par 3, 73.33% of recorded rounds par'd this one, and 23.33% of recorded rounds birdied it. Perhaps a slightly tougher (more guarded or riskier, rather than longer) basket position on this one?

Hole 9 - For a par 3, 83.33% of recorded rounds par'd this one, and only 6.67% of recorded rounds birdied it. Perhaps a slightly easier basket position on this one?

Hole 10 - For a par 3, zero recorded rounds managed to birdie this one. Perhaps a shorter pin position on this one?

Hole 13 - Same as above.. zero recorded rounds managed to birdie this one. Shorter pin position?

Hole 14 - Same as above.. only one recorded round managed to birdie this one. Shorter pin position?

Hole 15 - For a par 3, 70.00% of recorded rounds par'd this one, and 20.00% of recorded rounds birdied it. Perhaps a tougher basket position?

Any thoughts?
    Hole 4: No surprise there since I almost pushed this tee back a bit this year. I may push it forward to make it a par 3 or back further to make it a solid par 4. Either way, the data confirmed my suspicions.

Hole 7: I actually pushed this one forward slightly this year to encourage a few more 2s. Perhaps I made it too easy. Shame on me.

Hole 9: Scoring be damned, I like this hole. It is one of the few holes with no water danger, but still plays tough.

Hole 10: Based on the difficulty level of this hole, I should probably call this a par 4. The problem here lies with the wind. Without wind this hole can be birdied.

Hole 13: I moved the basket back 40 feet and it clearly made a difference. Without seeing how it played, it made sense to keep it a par 3. I'll probably call it a par 4 next year.

Hole 14: The is a risk/reward hole. I think the dearth of 2s is due to players wisely playing this hole safely.

Hole 15: This was the first year in this "harder" position, but it didn't increase the scores as much as I had hoped. Still, I do like the hole and short of possible minor tweak, it probably won't change much.

Lastly, I am still thinking about Hole 16. Some say it is much too hard, but at the same time I talked to people who played it safely and easily got the par. So the question might be is it too hard, or do people just not play it safely enough. In any case, there were twice as many 3s (2) on it this year as there were last year (1).

Jeff
    Last edited by Bullseye; September 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
    Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X