X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is sandbagging?

I am not sure I understand what this term means. I assume it refers to a person who chooses to play in a division that they are on average too skilled to play in.
    For example: If I am an 873 PDGA rated player and that rating method is the most widely accepted rating method in the sport, then I would be sandbagging if I played any event in the MA4 division which is for 850 rated players and under according to the current PDGA rules.
    Isn't that correct?
    Training to be a bagger

Well, if it was a PDGA event, you woulnt be allowed to play in that lower division. If it was a non sanctioned event, you could actually play any division you wanted. In your case, an 873 rated player, playing in a division that is normally for 850 and below rated players, then yes you would be sandbagging.
    If you are playing in your correct division for a PDGA event, and you beat the competition by 5, 10, even 20 strokes. I wouldnt consider it sandbagging, since you were playing in the division that your rating allowed. Of course if you dominate a round by too much, your rating might just go up, pulling you out of that division after the next PDGA ratings update.
    All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Sandbagging is when you load your dragster down with sandbags for the
      qualifying race and then take them out before the actual race to make your
      opponents think your car is slower then it really is.

Comment

Definition: 1. Generally, any golfer who misleads others about his ability level, claiming to be worse than he actually is at golf.
        2. More specifically, a golfer who artificially inflates his handicap index in order to better his chances of winning tournaments or bets.

A sandbagger is considered by many to be the lowest form of life on a golf course. Sandbaggers can inflate their handicap indexes by selectively leaving out their best rounds of golf when they post scores for handicap purposes.

Then, when the sandbaggers enters a tournament, they show, for example, a handicap index of 18 when, in fact, their true handicap might be closer to, as an example, 12. Voila, they've just bought themselves 6 extra strokes off their net score, and lowered their odds for winning their flight or the tournament.

Sandbaggers are, at base, cheaters and hustlers. Golfers who are found out to be sandbaggers are often ostracized and always berated and looked down upon.

Winning a tournament or bet in this fashion is called "sandbagging." A golfer who has won by sandbagging is said to have "sandbagged" his opponents.

Now i know this is for ball golf, but i think it applies to our sport as well, and nice reference to Drag racing, I also remember hearing that Boxers would put sand in their gloves, and as they punched the sand would shift and make their punches more forceful, thus gaining an unfair advantage over their competition.
        Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Right on Shonfry. is that the origin? So, what that infers is that the bagger is modifying their game or device to get an advantage over others by using non-sanctioned methods. If a person is playing in a division that is sanctioned specifically for their rating by the organization that is sponsoring the event, then I can not figure out how that can be called sandbagging.

"Look at FPO - think Toni will be getting a trophy? " While I am totally stoked to see a female pro play this event, she will have to play down or play with the men open players if 3 more women don't play pro. If she plays down, then the Advanced women have to play against someone that is more skilled and should be in a different division. If she plays with the Open group, then she has that hill to climb.
          This question illustrates just why people should start playing in their PDGA assigned divisions. If we had uniform registration according to a standard, then we would rarely see the problem of small divisions in events because accepted uniform rules and regs will grow the sport quickly in all divisions.
          If players in Oregon would register for events according to their current PDGA rating then a TD would not have to provide trophies for small divisions very often because the divisions would grow through the acceptance of uniform standards. If TD's and players continue to disagree about where a player should play, that dissention and disarray can only lead to stunting the growth of this sport. I happen to believe that many of the more experienced players want to stunt the growth of the sport for a variety of selfish reasons. I have often overheard conversations between experienced players about this and many feel that growth brings slower casual rounds due to course overcrowding, More difficult to get into major tournaments, and tougher competition that pushes them lower down the cash chain.

We need to make a decision in Oregon to adopt PDGA standards related to divisions for the betterment of the future of the game. We have a huge amount of regional clout on the PDGA board and committees. If you don't like some of the PDGA rules, then talk to your PDGA reps and they will voice those for you.
          Training to be a bagger

Comment

Here's what Wiki had to say...

"Sandbagging is a term used in drag racing when a racer has a dial-in time much slower than the car can actually perform. The function of sandbagging is to guarantee a win by outperforming the slower opponent at first, and then hitting the brakes near the finish line in time to just barely beat the opponent. However, sandbaggers run the risk of beating their dial-in time, thus disqualifying them from the race. Sandbaggers must be experienced in controlling this technique, and therefore, it should not be attempted by beginners. Sandbagging faces much criticism, as many argue that it is essentially cheating."
            Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

"2) I have ordered a limited amount of trophies so the number awarded per divsion will vary based on the size of the division with just 1st place for smaller divisions. I decided to spend much more on nicer functional trophies this year, but there will be a few less to hand out."

So, let me get this straight. Only 4 divisions have more than 5 registered players in the Festivus. Of those, 1 is a non-trophy division, so 3 divisions have more than 5 players registered. The rest have 5 players or less. So does that mean that MM1, MA1 and MA2 get trophies for 1st,2nd, 3rd and all the other divisions (who have less than 5 players) should get a trophy for their first place finisher? But Greg said that MA3 and FW3 will not get trophies, because of the name of the division? I am so confused.
              I don't wish to cause any bad blood, I just really don't understand the thought process that went into this.
              Why just not offer MA3 and FW3 if you don't want to treat them the same as the other divisions?
              Training to be a bagger

Comment

ask yourself and be honest

IMO ratings have absolutely nothing to do with where a "bagger" or anyone else could or should play.
                Example:
                A player has been playing pro for 15 years but has a PDGA rating which allows him to play amateur.
                I think a true sandbagger would grasp this chance.
                It's easy to decide where you should play, IF you have any integrity.
                Reach way down inside and ask yourself where you should really be playing and then do it.
                If your ratings say you can't, I guess you're screwed.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
                  IMO ratings have absolutely nothing to do with where a "bagger" or anyone else could or should play.
                  Example:
                  A player has been playing pro for 15 years but has a PDGA rating which allows him to play amateur.
                  I think a true sandbagger would grasp this chance.
                  It's easy to decide where you should play, IF you have any integrity.
                  Reach way down inside and ask yourself where you should really be playing and then do it.
                  If your ratings say you can't, I guess you're screwed.
                  The really cool thing about ratings is that they are objective. They don't get hung up on labels (pro, recreational, etc) and they don't care who you are or how long you've been playing.

If someone has been playing 15 years and has a rating that allows them to play AM2 or AM3 they are not sandbagging. That's just who they are.
                  I've been playing 3 1/2 years and am rated <900. Others have been playing less than a year and are rated > 900. Everyone develops their game at different speeds. Time playing should not be factor in deciding which division someone should play in. Ratings should.

Comment

"SANDBAGGER!" is what you shout at people during awards ceremonies if you respect them and admire their abilities. It was pretty common about 9 years ago to hear people being called sandbagger, that, for a while, it was reclaimed as a positive. I think those days may be gone now.
                    Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Sandbagging is simple in my eyes. If you are playing the lowest division you are able, just to place in the top 5 you are most likely bagging. When prizes and top finishes become more important than fighting for a win or stepping your game up then maybe it is time to look at why you play.

Personally Kent I think you are a great guy but I am baffled as to why you are not playing intermediate. I know that Bob and Scott and everyone are fun to play with but at some point if you are improving more rapidly than your friends at least in competition there will be a time to step forward to allow people who do belong in the lower division to compete and improve their games in tight races.
                      "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.Ē

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Philips View Post
                        Sandbagging is simple in my eyes. If you are playing the lowest division you are able, just to place in the top 5 you are most likely bagging. When prizes and top finishes become more important than fighting for a win or stepping your game up then maybe it is time to look at why you play.

Personally Kent I think you are a great guy but I am baffled as to why you are not playing intermediate. I know that Bob and Scott and everyone are fun to play with but at some point if you are improving more rapidly than your friends at least in competition there will be a time to step forward to allow people who do belong in the lower division to compete and improve their games in tight races.
                        Whatup Philips. I have 22 rounds included in my most recent PGA rating. That means that out of 22 competitive rounds, I have averaged a rating of 873. That puts me 27 points below the MA2 minmum rating to play it. It has taken me two years of competitive rounds and alot of practice rounds and putting just to get to that point. My first rating in August of 2007 was 843. From that it doesn't appear that I am progressing as rapidly as you may think. But thanks for rubbing salt in that wound.
                        Heres the deal, I am playing in the division I am supposed to play in. There is a MA4 division available for sub 850 rated players. I am not playing in that, but I just barely made it out. I can not for the life of me understand why you would go here when you know how critical it is for TD's and players to stick to a standard of divisional play for the betterment of the game. If the 40% of the MA2 field that continue to register for an incorrectly rated division would just play MA3 as they are supposed to, I would get that competition you are referring to. BTW I have not won an event in MA3 either. Thanks for rubbing salt in that wound as well.
                        Dude, you had an awful injury that I am proud to see you come back from. I always enjoy playing disc with you too. I am certain that if you and I were properly placed divisionally along with everyone else, disc and life in general would be just a little rosier. Until then goodanya and I hope to throw with you again soon.
                        Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                          Whatup Philips. I have 22 rounds included in my most recent PGA rating. That means that out of 22 competitive rounds, I have averaged a rating of 873. That puts me 27 points below the MA2 minmum rating to play it. It has taken me two years of competitive rounds and alot of practice rounds and putting just to get to that point. My first rating in August of 2007 was 843. From that it doesn't appear that I am progressing as rapidly as you may think. But thanks for rubbing salt in that wound.
                          Heres the deal, I am playing in the division I am supposed to play in. There is a MA4 division available for sub 850 rated players. I am not playing in that, but I just barely made it out. I can not for the life of me understand why you would go here when you know how critical it is for TD's and players to stick to a standard of divisional play for the betterment of the game. If the 40% of the MA2 field that continue to register for an incorrectly rated division would just play MA3 as they are supposed to, I would get that competition you are referring to. BTW I have not won an event in MA3 either. Thanks for rubbing salt in that wound as well.
                          Dude, you had an awful injury that I am proud to see you come back from. I always enjoy playing disc with you too. I am certain that if you and I were properly placed divisionally along with everyone else, disc and life in general would be just a little rosier. Until then goodanya and I hope to throw with you again soon.

Oh, and I am baffled why I can not seem to progress to MA2 either. It frickin kills me every time I throw a stupid shot in a tourney. I seem to do it alot. Sucks being lame
                          Training to be a bagger

Comment

No, Kent. I think Jason is right. Include me among the baffled, "Mr. -18 at Orchard". If you move up and challenge yourself, you will find the reward huge.
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              "Mr. -18 at Orchard".
                              In Doubles. At Orchard. C'mon Sam. Surely you see that that may not be as accurate of skill indicator as, say, 22 rated PDGA rounds.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X